BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

23/24 kit; is a new sponsor needed?

For those commenting on the logo not looking great (which I agree with), do we think any team has ever walked away from a sponsorship deal just because the logo won't complement our shirts? I'd be very surprised. 

As for another point about the deal unlikely being massive financially - irrespective of how many times Rovers were on TV, they're not a big advertising vehicle. Viewership of Championship football will be relatively low, our attendances are low and there isn't a huge global fan base. It's hardly a strong bargaining position to get huge sums given to us. 

Relative to the division perhaps. But if audiences for those games aren't high, it's not much of an advertising opportunity. I don't have figures but I'd be surprised if viewers of championship games are even 20% of prem games, and that's before you consider international exposure. 

It links back to Wrexham getting United Airlines. Their owners have got those games available to watch widely in the USA and with the documentary being very, very popular globally, they provide a platform for exposure. Wouldn't be surprised if a Wrexham reference ends up the next Deadpool film either.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

My eldest is in year 7 so I’ve become hyper aware of it but drive past any secondary school around morning or end of the day; there’s so many of them vaping it’s insane. I can’t believe as a club we are giving them more exposure. 

You could never convince me this shit isn’t aimed very heavily at the youth as well 

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/disposable-vape

IMG_9565.jpeg

IMG_9566.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alex l said:

Relative to the division perhaps. But if audiences for those games aren't high, it's not much of an advertising opportunity. I don't have figures but I'd be surprised if viewers of championship games are even 20% of prem games, and that's before you consider international exposure. 

It links back to Wrexham getting United Airlines. Their owners have got those games available to watch widely in the USA and with the documentary being very, very popular globally, they provide a platform for exposure. Wouldn't be surprised if a Wrexham reference ends up the next Deadpool film either.

Yes relative to the division, what else would it be relative to?  

2 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

IMG_9565.jpeg

IMG_9566.jpeg

Somebody said before that ‘if they weren’t vaping they’d be smoking’.

Not sure about that, smoking was always very much a minority pastime in schools in recent years, vaping seems to have exploded in popularity - the packaging, the TikTok influencer advertising etc is obviously a big part of that.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes relative to the division, what else would it be relative to?  

You're missing the point, whilst we may have been shown more than most if not all clubs, if there was hardly anyone watching the games, it's not much of a bargaining position. 

So we can’t get a good deal because we have an average crowd in our local area of 14,000 not c20,000 - but being shown nationwide on TV every other week with c150,000/200,000 watching still doesn’t impact what we could get at all?

Ok.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

It's an unusual choice of sponsor for any sports team and I thought it would be temporary. The CEO doesn't come out of this well once again, since it completely exposes the no betting and no gambling moral high ground as purely a commercial move likely aimed at the muslim community. The impression I get about Waggott is... predictable twirp with little footballing morals.

Not true, it’s the owners’ call.

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So we can’t get a good deal because we have an average crowd in our local area of 14,000 not c20,000 - but being shown nationwide on TV every other week with c150,000/200,000 watching still doesn’t impact what we could get at all?

Ok.

We have 14k in the stadium, and say 200k watch our games on TV. 

Leeds could have 35k in the stadium and 500k watching on TV, both nationally and internationally. 

Wrexham have sub 10k in the stadium and 30k watch their games on TV. But their documentary is watched by millions. 

Blackburn Rovers are not a huge opportunity as an advertising vehicle in the scheme of football. Bigger than the majority of clubs yes, but I would expect the sponsors of those clubs to be as unimpressive either financially or in their reputation. I don't particularly like having a vaping company on the shirt, but unless you can promise huge exposure, your options are going to be limited if you want to maximise the income from the deal. 

Nobody but there appears to be a perception that we should be getting a better sponsor (at least in brand, if not financially) than what we have. Leeds were used to illustrate that we are far from the biggest fish in the pond. I would love someone to logically illustrate what level of sponsorship we should be receiving, if its better than what we have. 

Thought this was interesting:

https://www.bookiesignupoffers.com/2022/08/30/championship-shirt-sponsors-for-2022-23/

Whilst we're all banging on about who we can & can't get as a shirt sponsor, the above link shows a pretty uninspiring list from last season. 

Once you take out the obvious ones due to owner connections (Malaysia Tourism, Bet 365 etc), Lotus as an obvious choice for Norwich, Select Car Leasing being Reading based & also sponsor the stadium, and the fact Utilita sponsored 3 clubs there's not much left, particularly if we don't want a betting company.

Do I think we can do better than a vape company? Yes. Do I think Swag's being lazy? Yes, of course I do, but it might not be quite as easy as we all might think.

Euro Garages is the obvious one, but that's been discussed to death and looks like it's a cultural thing. The other thing to take into consideration is that a lot of companies (particularly of the size we're probably looking at) are currently working on tighter profit margins & so won't have the same amount of spare cash lying around for sponsorship deals as they probably once did.

I don't have any background in this type of thing, but I'm just thinking about possibly companies like Toolstation (Screwfix currently invest heavily in the EFL), big DIY chains like B&Q, Wickes etc who did quite nicely over the pandemic. Do we even try picking up the phone to these types of businesses?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan said:

By law they are to be sold only to adults. They aren’t toys, they are successful way to give up harmful tobacco and have saved many many lives. 

They are used to help people stop an addiction that caused physical health problems. Nicotine in itself is quite harmless, caffeine is quite possibly more harmful. 

Any science that it’s bad for you? 

The kids would most likely smoke cigarettes, if not e-cigarettes. They aren’t specifically being targeted by vape companies. 

Again, any science to back this up? Maybe you’ve been brain washed by American propaganda? 

Like cigarettes and tobacco - they’re always going to be something kids will likely see adults doing and try, I do get that but cigarettes aren’t even legal to advertise because of the damage they do, and how addictive they are.

We don’t know everything about long term vapour inhalation, other than it’s less damaging than smoking. That doesn’t mean they should be sold in sweet flavours and colourful boxes though - that’s the marketing to children part, look at Totally Wickeds branding for Christ sake, couldn’t be anymore  alluring for young teenagers.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

I find the anti-vaping view on here very strange. They save lives. Maybe the sponsorship could help people make the switch from the 100% deadly tobacco?

I don’t want them to be sold to kids and I think disposable devices should be banned(for an environmental view point). 

The second part of this is exactly the point - they’re being put into view of every single young rover.

It’s bad for them and the environment. It’s bad for our brand too.

8 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

A quick straw poll on here…what do folks reckon it costs for the front of shirt sponsorship at Rovers ? 

[I’ve heard some figures bandied about from good sources which I won’t compromise…just interested to get a wisdom of the crowds feel…]

image.jpeg.4fa343d8bfbcd9607d38e4fb866374c7.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

A quick straw poll on here…what do folks reckon it costs for the front of shirt sponsorship at Rovers ? 

[I’ve heard some figures bandied about from good sources which I won’t compromise…just interested to get a wisdom of the crowds feel…]

I’ll be the first to have a completely uneducated guess 😀

£250k a season

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

£750k?