BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

23/24 kit; is a new sponsor needed?

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

I think people who vape look like twats, almost like adult dummies hanging out their mouth.

Do we really think having a vaping company on our shirt is going to inspire kids to take up the rotten habit though? Is it hell, they'd do it anyway.

Good point but we should try to protect education and opportunities, as well as stopping bad influences. (I could write a dissertation on what TikTok is doing)

Whilst it may be a small issue compared to wider problems, I just don’t think it should be all over our brand.

@Mattyblue a bit of nuance on our “commercial side” 😛 

34 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Yea and yours is just ignoring it.

wrong again

You’re once again (classic style) moving the goalposts.

Were not advertising those things, because of “morals” yet these addictive things are ok?

no its not moving the goalposts cos most things in life are bad but we all do it

Because you know that there is no positive side to this - you either ignore reality and accept whatever the club does “as the best it could’ve” or you ask the question, “why are we helping advertise this shit?” 

If it was any of those examples, beer, betting etc - you’d say exactly the same “it’s probably the best the could’ve got” with no evidence.

yet we had McEwan's Lager and betting companies on our shirts over the years. 

Nice attempt at taking the piss there btw, I’m sure in the castle you live in, the nearby town is full of the detritus this crap creates.

Just because you don’t care, doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter!

no castle just a normal family house thanks

It’s not, it’s called reality.

no its your opinion

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Your streets might be littered with them but not where I live but yet again I don't look out for them when I walk to the shop in car park at the supermarket. 

‘If I pretend they’re not there, they’re not there.’

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

most things in life are bad for you like drinking alcohol or eating cakes or Mcdonalds/KFC but the vast majority of us do it don't we?  

Eating those in bold are not actually ‘bad for you’ at all, as they can contribute to a balanced diet.

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Sheesh, why do I bother.

we aren't going to agree aren't we? 

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

‘If I pretend they’re not there, they’re not there.’

I don't see anywhere I go but yet again I don't going looking out for clearly others do

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we aren't going to agree aren't we? 

I don't see anywhere I go but yet again I don't going looking out for clearly others do

I don’t ‘go looking out’ for them either, but I have enough awareness of my surroundings when I’m out walking to know they’re there.

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don’t ‘go looking out’ for them either, but I have enough awareness of my surroundings when I’m out walking to know they’re there.

ok Mike

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

No

so no point in wrecking the thread then. 

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Chaddy, would you be happy with "Marlboro" as our sponsor? 

no but it is mute point as they can't advertise anymore was banned in 2005 by the UK government 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

they don't. You have to be 18 years to buy them legally and use them. 

well if you find it tacky and badly designed logo then don't buy it then. very simple answer. 

Yet again far too many people focus on this instead of this is Blackburn Rovers shirt. 

I dont get your last comment. So would you buy a shirt regardless of sponsor? Should others in your opinion buy it regardless of how it looks or moral issues just because its a Rovers shirt? Is there any sponsor you would be against?

I am not as fussed as others regarding the moral dilemma specific to Totally Wicked, although I suspect its not a particularly lucrative deal. 

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get your last comment. So would you buy a shirt regardless of sponsor?

yes

Should others in your opinion buy it regardless of how it looks or moral issues just because its a Rovers shirt?

I don't tell others what to do with their opinions

Is there any sponsor you would be against?

like who? 

• Backroom

My eldest is in year 7 so I’ve become hyper aware of it but drive past any secondary school around morning or end of the day; there’s so many of them vaping it’s insane. I can’t believe as a club we are giving them more exposure. 

You could never convince me this shit isn’t aimed very heavily at the youth as well 

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/disposable-vape

• Like 3

Disgusting 

1) It looks awful.

2) You have issues with not being able to have the same sponsor on the kids t-shirt and on certain video games (which surely must effect how much a company would be willing to pay

3) It is very suspect morally and not what I want our club to be about 

if this is the best deal we can get for the club I will eat my hat. Stupid prick Waggott

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm of the opinion that Vaping will eventually be found to be even worse than smoking.

When your peer reviewed study is published I suggest you send it directly to Public Health England and the NHS.

If anybody suspects any retailer of illegal activity please report them using the information provided here - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

That’s all from me.

(can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of the TW logo, mind)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBiz said:

Rather than just the normal platitudes - why not answer the following;

1. is a company that sells addictive toys to children an appropriate sponsor

2. Do we want a tacky and badly designed logo on the front of our shirts?

By law they are to be sold only to adults. They aren’t toys, they are successful way to give up harmful tobacco and have saved many many lives. 

5 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Read my post again and you'll see that I state gambling as well. I have fought a gambling addiction for nearly 10 years now so I feel very strongly about betting companies not being given exposure in any way, whether that be on the front of a footy shirt or on a giant billboard. Very easy to sit behind a keyboard and make a judgment about someone without knowing their reasons for their opinion isn't it.

As for booze companies...yeah, in this day and age I don't particularly like the idea of that either. As a kid I obviously have had a fair few Rovers tops with gambling companies and of course McEwans Lager on the front, but this was when I was young and didn't know any better. My feelings are that football clubs generally shouldn't be parading around with company logos of things that can cause mental or physical health problems and addiction. Am I wrong for thinking that? I don't know, it's just my opinion.

Call it what you want; moaning for the sake of moaning or whatever but that is simply how I feel about the situation. I understand the business and financial side of things in regards to shirt sponsors, but I don't have to like it either!

They are used to help people stop an addiction that caused physical health problems. Nicotine in itself is quite harmless, caffeine is quite possibly more harmful. 

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

But its such a bad look for the club?

Vaping is so extremely bad for you.

Waggot said he was happy we weren't advertising gambling anymore, but have now moved onto vaping? 

Not sure if you're on the wind up or not? 

Any science that it’s bad for you? 

4 hours ago, JBiz said:

As a secondary school teacher I couldn’t agree anymore unequivocally.

Weve managed to make nicotine more appealing to kids, for short term gain and long term health and environmental damage…

and people like Chaddy think this is fine to advertise…

The kids would most likely smoke cigarettes, if not e-cigarettes. They aren’t specifically being targeted by vape companies. 

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm of the opinion that Vaping will eventually be found to be even worse than smoking.

Again, any science to back this up? Maybe you’ve been brain washed by American propaganda? 

I find the anti-vaping view on here very strange. They save lives. Maybe the sponsorship could help people make the switch from the 100% deadly tobacco?

I don’t want them to be sold to kids and I think disposable devices should be banned(for an environmental view point). 

It's an unusual choice of sponsor for any sports team and I thought it would be temporary. The CEO doesn't come out of this well once again, since it completely exposes the no betting and no gambling moral high ground as purely a commercial move likely aimed at the muslim community. The impression I get about Waggott is... predictable twirp with little footballing morals.

I certainly don't want Rovers to go cap in hand to the Issa brothers but is it beyond the club to sell them a mutually beneficial commercial partnership on the basis that their various businesses and Rovers are Blackburn based entities with a national profile? Apparently it is.

This sponsorship is very disappointing. I'm sceptical about the anti vaping propaganda but I just feel that vaping is poorly regarded and percieved which reflects negatively on the club. Such a poxy logo that looks terrible on our shirt too.

Not sure why people are so defensive of these vaping companies.

Vaping is an addictive product. Yes it's less harmful than another addictive product but an addictive product non the less.

Apparently the club has such high morals that they won't accept money from betting firms.

Just a thought, why doesn't the government ban the sale of nicotine products without prescription? They have been very quick to ban other substances in the past on "health" grounds.

The fact that not only would we advertise the next public health calamity but have such a shit logo on our prestigious shirts shows how much of a fuck the people in charge actually give about this club.

Having a vaping company as our primary sponsor is not a great look (regardless of the MS Paint logo) when there are plentiful stories in the media about an increase in under age usage. Particularly of disposables, which are also terrible environmentally.

Usage is up 50% year-on-year in under 18s according to https://ash.org.uk/resources/view/use-of-e-cigarettes-among-young-people-in-great-britain.

There are some comments along the lines of "they're for adults", "it's illegal to sell to children so it's irrelevant" etc. which is true, but it's not illegal to give them to children free of charge oddly enough, and the promotion of e-cigarettes where children see them is also increasing... Like on their footballing idols for instance.

I'm not anti-vape in general, as a smoker the benefits are obvious. They may be bad, but cannot be worse than traditional cigarettes. But that doesn't mean having them front and centre of the Rovers "brand" is a good idea. Rovers could be used as an example of vaping companies advertising to children. What if in a BBC news piece they show the Rovers kit then transition to a shot of kids stood outside school vaping and poking dead squirrels or whatever kids do. It just shows it hasn't been thought through.

Add to that, the financials surely can't be that great. The company's turnover isn't huge by any stretch. So it feels like an easy, unimaginative option that is probably sub-par financially, has the potential to paint Rovers in a negative light, means kids can't wear the same shirt as the team, and the logo looks shit.

Not the biggest commercial fuck up over the past 5-10 years, but definitely another one for me.

• Like 4