BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

Why is it deemed ‘fair’ to spend more money because (for example) it’s come from a TV deal or selling more shirts but it’s not deemed ‘fair’ for a club’s owner to spend more of their own money?

It’s almost as if (as alluded to in the previous posts) the rules were designed for the club’s they’d benefit the most rather than for the game as a whole…

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Why is it deemed ‘fair’ to spend more money because (for example) it’s come from a TV deal or selling more shirts but it’s not deemed ‘fair’ for a club’s owner to spend more of their own money?

It’s almost as if (as alluded to in the previous posts) the rules were designed for the club’s they’d benefit the most rather than for the game as a whole…

Exactly - its better if the 'big' teams (as in, those with the most fans all over the world)  - stay at the top. Fcked up - I really don't understand why I still watch this sport.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yankfan said:

Financial fair play is more about preventing Newcastle becoming man city or another Jack Walker than it is about “fair play”. The championship highlights that above all else. Really hope we can buck the odds, like Luton, and get up, but the reality is life in the premier league, under current FFP, only dooms us to eventual regulation. FFP only ensures no one can continually compete with the top 6. Just ask Leicester 

They cannot stop Newcastle. Simply put MBS could buy the whole PL countless times over and probably will over time.

Although there is nothing official yet I have been reliably informed that all match officials have been instructed to add on all the time lost during a match irrespective of how much there is. Even if the score is 6-0 the appropriate amount of time has to be added. Officials have also been told that if a player requires treatment on the pitch he has to go off and not allowed to return for thirty seconds which will be timed by the fourth official. This in particular has become farcical over the years as players are waved straight back on after having had treatment. I think these are really progressive moves as time wasting has become a real issue in my view with some teams having it down to a fine art.

Hopefully it will be applied consistently.

• Like 5

On 13/07/2023 at 13:25, KentExile said:

Hasn't played more than about 25 games for 4 years and will be 33 at Christmas

Looks like a player on his way down, and will eat up much of their wage budget for the sake of nothing more than nostalgia.  Even the Wales fans now think he has lost what he once had.

I think its a wonderful signing  😉 

Nice have let him go he wanted another 2 years there after his one year 80k a week deal expired the other week

Spent a lot of time in the treatment room

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Ffp is all about ensuring Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea et al all remain at the top without any competition. 

one step further than the premier league,which was invented stop the smaller clubs from ever challenging for the league title,apart from leicester and ourselves,it`s been succesful on their part,we`ll never see southampton,watford or norwich ever challenge again

36 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

one step further than the premier league,which was invented stop the smaller clubs from ever challenging for the league title,apart from leicester and ourselves,it`s been succesful on their part,we`ll never see southampton,watford or norwich ever challenge again

Unlikely but don't rule out Brighton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

Although there is nothing official yet I have been reliably informed that all match officials have been instructed to add on all the time lost during a match irrespective of how much there is. Even if the score is 6-0 the appropriate amount of time has to be added. Officials have also been told that if a player requires treatment on the pitch he has to go off and not allowed to return for thirty seconds which will be timed by the fourth official. This in particular has become farcical over the years as players are waved straight back on after having had treatment. I think these are really progressive moves as time wasting has become a real issue in my view with some teams having it down to a fine art.

I'm sure it will at Ewood, Old Trafford on the other hand...

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Leicester City haven't been picked clean like I thought they would be - and they're doing a lot of transfer business.

Looks like they're trying to buy their way back into the PL at the first time of asking. 

Watford and Norwich were not picked cleaned either, whilst Burnley were, I wonder who fared better?

Its about what is done with the players at your disposal

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 12:32, arbitro said:

Real life situations are not always straightforward. 

If the score is 6-0 does every second really need to be played?

The player leaving the field but was all a bit of a farce to start with (brought in for USA 94 ISTR). They'd didn't want players being treated on the pitch as it slowed the game down (which is a US gripe about football), so they had to leave the pitch for treatment. All sounds reasonable on paper. But, you don't know how injured the player is. It could be dangerous to move them. Treatment performed in the pitch anyway and turns out player is ok. They then have to perform the pointless pantomime of leaving the pitch and coming back on, which wasn't why the rule was brought in, but that seems to have been forgotten.

To provide a scenario. Rovers player down injured after bad tackle from Burnley player. Burnley player booked. Rovers player has to stay off pitch for 30 seconds (ordinarily the ref can show a bit of common sense and wave him back on immediately, but not under the new rules). Burnley score whilst playing against the 10 men. How is that fair?

Maybe change it so that player doesn't have to go off and/or stay off if he's been fouled?

If this is a measure to stop time wasting, I favour a 'ball in play' clock. 

Sorry to jump in and waffle on, but you've stumbled on to a pet peeve of mine!

1 hour ago, DanLad said:

The player leaving the field but was all a bit of a farce to start with (brought in for USA 94 ISTR). They'd didn't want players being treated on the pitch as it slowed the game down (which is a US gripe about football), so they had to leave the pitch for treatment. All sounds reasonable on paper. But, you don't know how injured the player is. It could be dangerous to move them. Treatment performed in the pitch anyway and turns out player is ok. They then have to perform the pointless pantomime of leaving the pitch and coming back on, which wasn't why the rule was brought in, but that seems to have been forgotten.

To provide a scenario. Rovers player down injured after bad tackle from Burnley player. Burnley player booked. Rovers player has to stay off pitch for 30 seconds (ordinarily the ref can show a bit of common sense and wave him back on immediately, but not under the new rules). Burnley score whilst playing against the 10 men. How is that fair?

Maybe change it so that player doesn't have to go off and/or stay off if he's been fouled?

It's difficult to find a balance. One thing for certain is that the current rules are being abused. It's become so ridiculous that I'd prefer the scenario whereby a player has to stay off for 30 seconds. Personally I'd actually like to see it extended to 1 minute. 30 seconds feels like no time at all.

We will see players finding a workaround in no time though. Expect to see players rolling around to waste time, then refusing for the physios to come on. One thing I'd like to see, is that if the player refuses the physios, the referee can restart the game at their own discretion. I'd like to see referees given more authority to help increase the flow of the game. I see this as being possible if the accountability of the players health is somewhat taken away from them, by allowing the player in question to determine whether they require medical assistance. Head injuries being the clear exception. 

I have always thought that if a player is injured as a result of a foul then he should be allowed to stay on the pitch. If he just goes down injured then he should have to go off for a period to discourage players using it as a time wasting technique.

I would give the addition of added time to the fourth official, who could just stop a stop watch for every delay. I would also add double the time to any player penalised for time wasting - that would very soon stop it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanLad said:

We lost out on the playoffs through goal difference which was exacerbated by some woeful time keeping towards the end of the season. I remember a few occasions when JDT quite rightly ranted about insufficient time being added. The score shouldn't be an influence in league games, cup game are different. I also understand that one of the considerations here was the betting markets (don't shoot the messenger about this 😂).

Your example is a good one but sadly there will be some collateral damage here. The real issue is that the authorities didn't deal with it years ago when it first crept in. It has been allowed to fester and now strong measures have to be brought in to reel it back.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

We lost out on the playoffs through goal difference which was exacerbated by some woeful time keeping towards the end of the season. I remember a few occasions when JDT quite rightly ranted about insufficient time being added. The score shouldn't be an influence in league games, cup game are different. I also understand that one of the considerations here was the betting markets (don't shoot the messenger about this 😂).

Your example is a good one but sadly there will be some collateral damage here. The real issue is that the authorities didn't deal with it years ago when it first crept in. It has been allowed to fester and now strong measures have to be brought in to reel it back.

Or let the game continue as medical aid is given to a player, the same as in rugby ?