BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

Thought Pears was very good today - or at least good enough to make the Swede think twice about walking into the team.  Exactly competitor mentality JDT brings which we've not had for ages.

Hard to measure any of the others as they played with a man down for the bulk of the game but thought Carter looked poor as he tired but as above can't be easy. 

Gally looked good and brought the game to hull a bit - maybe an inverted left back in the making. 

Would be interested to see the penalty appeals. 

Ennis still looks miles off it 

• Like 1

I genuinely feel like we can feel hard done by coming away with nothing from that game.

A day to forget for all the defenders. Pickering losing his head was costly. JRC with his worst performance in a long time, although he was massively hamstrung with us being a man down and not able to do what he is best at. Hyam was very poor, I’m still to be convinced by Brittain, Carter did pretty well until he switched off for a moment. We could’ve done with a Danny Batth type today. Pears nailed on MOTM at 0-0 (haven’t seen a replay yet).

Travis showed his strengths and weaknesses in equal measure. Some great moments (usually when facing their goal) and some absolute shockers (usually when facing our goal).

Gallagher was excellent today, playing from a wide position, which is where I think we’ll see him going forward. Ennis impressed too. Hopefully they are both fit enough to start next week.

Looks like the massive amounts of injury time was a one off gimmick for the first round of matches only. Few refereeing decisions I want to see back that looked badly wrong. No complaints on the big one though, Pickering had to go.

A centre back and a full back are an absolute must asap. Maybe even more so than a centre forward.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Thought Pears was very good today - or at least good enough to make the Swede think twice about walking into the team.  Exactly competitor mentality JDT brings which we've not had for ages.

Hard to measure any of the others as they played with a man down for the bulk of the game but thought Carter looked poor as he tired but as above can't be easy. 

Gally looked good and brought the game to hull a bit - maybe an inverted left back in the making. 

Would be interested to see the penalty appeals. 

Ennis still looks miles off it 

Ennis miles off it? Should have scored but him and Gallagher were thorns in the side of Hull. Holds it up well and a threat in behind.

• Like 5

Reality is that we have probably 5 players capable of a promotion push and that isn’t good enough in a league this competitive. 

If we didn’t have such a superb academy we’d be a league one outfit again now, and every year we’re statistically more likely to be relegated than promoted. Thanks to the way we’re run from India all the way to Brent. 

Crazy how people defend Venkys and even defend Waggott, some of the stuff on this board after his interview was sickening. Him bragging about spending Eduns fee on a new bus and our lot lapping it up (yes the buck stops with Venkys). 

Hedges, Dolan, Markanday supporting a teenage number 9, are we having a laugh.

• Like 7

Say what you want about how poor Pickering did, look at the highlight.

Hyam and Carter are both 10 yards inside the Hull half when the keeper kicks it, and this left Pickering in a dreadful situation (which he mucked up epically!) as Delap could start the run from his own half.

No idea what our CB tactic was today.

We got done over the top time and again, twice for goals, and once for a red card; had at least 2 warnings at 11 vs 11 too. I don't know if it was a tactic or what, but Hyam especially kept pressing with Delap all the way into the Hull half, and they just laid it off and went long with a huge void at CB. Comfortably the worst I've seen of Hyam in his year at Rovers (and I'm a fan).

Final notes, Brittain is comfortably one of our 11 best players, and "LW Gallagher" has always been miles better than "RW Gallagher", who is currently averaging a goal every 0.88 games! 🫠

Edited by Angry_Pirate

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Ennis miles off it? Should have scored but him and Gallagher were thorns in the side of Hull. Holds it up well and a threat in behind.

Yes maybe, I might be letting his build skew my opinion but I don't think he'd be slimmer of the week. 

That said I do see some strikers instinct in him and think he may new shrewd over the 40 odd games 

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

What did Pears get wrong today, he made at least two really good saves that kept us level, before we went ahead. He had no chance with even goal, both absolutely atrocious goals to give away, both straight through (or over) the middle without a defender in sight. Would have been a bit of a robbery had we won but we really threw it away with those goals.

I do feel he should have done better positionally for their winner. Doesn’t mean he’d have saved it, but would’ve given their player more to think about and MIGHT have saved or made him miss the target.

• Like 1

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

As someone else noted. Must say I admired Hull respecting and joining in with Jack Walkers round off applause before the game and during the 23rd minute. Respect for the  away  fans to all clapping like they were both times. 

I had a few Hull fans remarking to me after the game that they thought it was wonderful that we still honoured him in such a way.

Not all fans display the nasty jealousy that the big clubs do.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He still doesn't look properly fit, but that's not all bad because I agree he did well and we can expect further improvements too 👌

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Without significant signings , we will be well below the level of midtable nearly men...The new rules don't help, an extra 10 mins a game and the brandishing of yellow cards for next to nowt , are going to leave us very depleted come mid November!!

Dack , Brearton and  Ayala need replacing asap !

Unlucky to lose today but there's nowt for hardliners in sport ..

Nailed it.

You can pull 11 lads in from Pleasington who will give their all for 90+ minutes - that is the minimum requirement and no plaudits for 'the lads who ran their hearts out', it's scores on the doors that count.

Pears never the answer and unconvincing, Brittain was signed as a rb so ffs play him there and move JRC into midfield, Pickering not up to it and never was (combination stuff way he dealt / didn't deal with that through ball), Travis has his moments but so infrequent and as for Dolan and Gallagher............................................... 

Think it's going to be a long hard winter.

Think JDT will be gone by Christmas and words simply fail me where the Raos, Waggott and Suhail are concerned.

In 60+ years supporting Rovers there have been a fair old number of lows.  However, this is different era as worryingly, IMO, our present owners and senior executive management are passionless and simply don't care.  In the past, we may not not have had a pot to p1ss in at times, but there was a real passion there from the likes of Bancroft, Keighley, Brown and even Fox and obviously Jack himself who must be spinning in his grave at the wanton destruction of his beloved Rovers.

Pre season optimism rapidly evaporating.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DanielMB said:

I f****** hate having Rovers ruin my weekend.

So, after all these years, do I, @DanielMB .

Sadly, with only brief gaps - 1958/59 to 1965/66; the late-1970s to the early-1980s; 1991/92 to 1998/99; and 2000/01 to the day the Walker Trust sold us - it's happened all too often.

And I fear it's likely only to continue too often in the future.

• Like 1

For the second game running Hyam has been poor in my view. He was out muscled by Hugill last week and Delap today. He was 'rolled' by Delap several times today and was drawn out of position a too often leaving Hull to exploit the gaps.  Carter too hasn't been at his best which has left us looking vulnerable down the middle.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Nailed it.

You can pull 11 lads in from Pleasington who will give their all for 90+ minutes - that is the minimum requirement and no plaudits for 'the lads who ran their hearts out', it's scores on the doors that count.

Pears never the answer and unconvincing, Brittain was signed as a rb so ffs play him there and move JRC into midfield, Pickering not up to it and never was (combination stuff way he dealt / didn't deal with that through ball), Travis has his moments but so infrequent and as for Dolan and Gallagher............................................... 

Think it's going to be a long hard winter.

Think JDT will be gone by Christmas and words simply fail me where the Raos, Waggott and Suhail are concerned.

In 60+ years supporting Rovers there have been a fair old number of lows.  However, this is different era as worryingly, IMO, our present owners and senior executive management are passionless and simply don't care.  In the past, we may not not have had a pot to p1ss in at times, but there was a real passion there from the likes of Bancroft, Keighley, Brown and even Fox and obviously Jack himself who must be spinning in his grave at the wanton destruction of his beloved Rovers.

Pre season optimism rapidly evaporating.

Ah don’t worry Merce! I’m sure that optimism will be back by next weekend when you will be confidently predicting a handy victory! 😁

(Joking aside totally agree though.  The Sigurdsson signing when we were then thinking that Adams and Despodov were incoming seem a lifetime ago now)

9 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Said before the game, I posted in this thread  I can't find it but it's there , about the long balls and how brittle we look at the back to long balls and long diagonal balls.. very concerning we have conceded twice today from them 

You did and I remember reading that

38 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

As someone else noted. Must say I admired Hull respecting and joining in with Jack Walkers round off applause before the game and during the 23rd minute. Respect for the  away  fans to all clapping like they were both times. 

They were respectful last season as well, when we had another clap for somebody- sorry excuse my ignorance but I can’t remember who. Went up in my estimation however. They have had their own issues so generally don’t have any bad feeling towards them, just a bit of a kick in the teeth today 

• Like 3

Not going to say we are unlucky as before the sending off we were asking for the umpteenth time to gift them a goal but instead gifted them an extra man.

That shit really has to stop if we want to prosper it isn't making or developing better footballers for one second.  Sending off well every defender has one or two like that in their career so hopefully he learns from it.

After that great effort considering and hooking Dolan was certainly correct, bit of fortune for the goal but bravo Gally the lad can finish, just not often enough.

Poor decisions and defending cost us at the end though but fatigue probably a contributing factor, we deserved a point, Hull didn't deserve 3.

I'd like to think a few bells went off in the suits heads watching that that we are in for a tough old grind if we don't get more depth. Doubt it though the CEO will just shrug his shoulders and not dare ask and the owners bean counters won't even know theres been a game.

Real sticky patch coming up i think.