BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 2/9/23

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Mate, we absolutely battered them. You don't get opposing fans almost universally saying "that was a mugging" in this day and age unless it was blatant. 

We did for the first 20 minutes but heads visibly dropped as did the pace after their first goal.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Sorry JohnD but that simply isn’t true in my opinion, in fact far from it. Mowbrays sides had a habit of surrendering leads, you could say at times throwing in the towel, but not JDT’s.

You’re watching a different side to me.

It clearly is true Gav.

We won 6 points from losing positions last season.

• Like 1

Attaching blame/scapegoats for the loss to:

.Pears is nonsense (that’s not saying his performance was without fault; what about the dopey centre halves for the third? I have no remit for Pears either way, but it will be fascinating to see if W. steps in to make wonderful saves that prevent similar losses as today. Seems as though many on here think that we will walk in broad sunlit uplands once he is dropped.)

.The ref (that’s for the weak)

.Plymouth players for being a bit rough? (what else would you expect them to do?)

.Hedges? (hero last week for a worldie? That’s what you get –inconsistency- for a player of his calibre. For the record, I like him-he’s gives a 100% and that’s all you can ask for)

.The Venky’s (getting much warmer)

The whole team looked leggy (over training?)

We battered them? LOL. we lost 3-0. We didn’t take chances, looked tired and jaded as the game progressed and allowed an inferior team to bully us and finally, through abject defending, beat us.

A smart team who might not be at their best goes away with a draw.

On another note, I am big fan of A.Wharton but the recent talk on these boards of a Prem player going for upward of £25 mill seem somewhat premature. Obviously, I hope it happens but will the funds be reinvested anyway?

• Like 5

Who knows if the new keeper will be any cop, nobody had heard of the bloke a month ago, but he’s a Swedish international, we spent what is decent money for the modern day withered BRFC and the present incumbent isn’t inspiring confidence, so it’s time to give him a go.

All this ‘sunlit uplands obviously with this new guy’, ‘well I’m looking forward to seeing this superstar brfcs reckon we’ve bought’ etc etc is the usual straw man hyperbole, more about needling the board than anything resembling what’s actually been said.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Attaching blame/scapegoats for the loss to:

.Pears is nonsense (that’s not saying his performance was without fault; what about the dopey centre halves for the third? I have no remit for Pears either way, but it will be fascinating to see if W. steps in to make wonderful saves that prevent similar losses as today. Seems as though many on here think that we will walk in broad sunlit uplands once he is dropped.)

.The ref (that’s for the weak)

.Plymouth players for being a bit rough? (what else would you expect them to do?)

.Hedges? (hero last week for a worldie? That’s what you get –inconsistency- for a player of his calibre. For the record, I like him-he’s gives a 100% and that’s all you can ask for)

.The Venky’s (getting much warmer)

The whole team looked leggy (over training?)

We battered them? LOL. we lost 3-0. We didn’t take chances, looked tired and jaded as the game progressed and allowed an inferior team to bully us and finally, through abject defending, beat us.

A smart team who might not be at their best goes away with a draw.

On another note, I am big fan of A.Wharton but the recent talk on these boards of a Prem player going for upward of £25 mill seem somewhat premature. Obviously, I hope it happens but will the funds be reinvested anyway?

I've been saying it since the Rotherham game about Pears,there were some saying he could /should have saved both those goals, same against Hull. 

The trouble with that is, either the magnifying glass gets put away when Wahlstedt gets his chance, or the lad will be put under ridiculous pressure and there will be calls for Pears to come back in,because neither keeper has any chance with any of them. 

I even read yesterday that Kaminski would have saved Plymouth's second goal, that's after literally throwing one in on Friday night. 

I couldn't care less if Pears never puts the gloves on again, but some of the criticism over the past few weeks has been nothing short of ridiculous. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

It may be that Waggot and Co simply have a set of financial instructions to work to so the owners don't have to meddle at all.

Blissfully absent.

If Swag was a "competent" CEO he'd be bombarding the owners with positive ideas.

Oh wait , Brockhall 😞

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

Not really been implied with Pears, it’s been openly said, he’s had a chance, a sustained spell in the side, but he just hasn’t grasped it, largely because he is what he is, an average keeper, a number 2 at this level and it’s time for a change.

However, nobody has even implied that Whalstedt is a superstar in the making largely because nobody has the foggiest idea if he’s any good, decent enough pedigree, but that’s about it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

In a nutshell, Plymouth simply couldn't cope with us for 20 minutes, the gulf between us was massive.

They get a lucky goal and their heads are up. We just need to knock the ball around and regain control then go on and win it.

But we don't, we let them back into the game, never reassert ourselves, the more we make a hash of things the more competitive they get.

It was juvenile, we just needed to get our sh1t back together and win or at least draw the game.

Where were our leaders? We just caved in against clearly inferior opposition, at times we made them look like Barca.

• Like 7

Attaching blame to Pears for yesterday is totally justified, he made a big mistake for the second, an even bigger mistake for the third and made other errors that went unpunished.

Obviously there has to be some context. Was he the only problem, the only poor player or the sole reason we lost? Obviously not.

Hes simply not that good. Hes not awful, hes a decent number 2. He isnt as good as Kaminski, that doesnt imply that Kaminski or indeed anyone is perfect, and ultimately we dont know about the new keeper. But as our biggest summer purchase, knowing over a lengthy spell that Pears is not a top half/play off aspiring Championship regular standard, he is worth a go.

Also, we obviously cant expect from individuals more than 100%. But we should expect more from our club than merely players who give their all. Our motto is not merely labore. Hedges is a decent squad player, but as with in other positions, failings at the top mean he likely will play the majority of games.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Players have good and bad days for various reasons. Pears is completely out of his depth

How has he gone from. Hero to an idiot in just one game to coin the great David Coleman. JDT stuck with him over Kaminski when he was fit again. 
if he plays a couple of blinders will he be a hero again. 

Asking for a friend 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

How has he gone from. Hero to an idiot in just one game to coin the great David Coleman. JDT stuck with him over Kaminski when he was fit again. 

Asking for a friend 😉

I’ve yet to see him have a “ blinder “ or indeed make a save out of the ordinary.

• Like 4

I was really disappointed last Wednesday when I had a dental issue and required an urgent repair for which the only appointment available was Saturday early afternoon and meant I couldn't drive. No ticket to the big 'local' Rovers game for me or for my 6-year old, who I was planning to take to his first Rovers game.

In hindsight, I would like to thank my dentist for their perfect scheduling, and the heroic pig whose crackly skin I destroyed my tooth on. Your (involuntary) sacrifice saved me from witnessing a second successive Rovers defeat at Argyle.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Asking for a friend 😉

He had a decent game vs Watford, but the ones calling him a 'hero' probably aren't the ones who want him replaced. 'Hero' is very hyperbolic - I'd save that sort of description for Friedel at the Emirates, not Pears making a few decent saves that you'd be pretty disappointed if he conceded from. 

History tells us he's just as likely to follow up his poor performance with another - when his confidence goes he just falls apart. We saw it Saturday, we saw it at Wigan and we've seen it in similar runs before. 

It isn't fair to attribute all the blame on him (S.Wharton was woeful for their 3rd) but 2 mistakes, both of which resulted in a goal are going to raise questions. He got very lucky with another one as well 

• J*B unpinned this topic
8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not sure why this defeat rankles with me so much, I usually just move on to the next match. 

Probably because the entire team at various stages made sure it was a silly 3 points thrown away, when within the first 20 we should have been coasting to a win. As someone said, they were lethargic after half an hour. And we know it'll keep happening with some players.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not sure why this defeat rankles with me so much, I usually just move on to the next match. 

I always find it worse when you head into these bloody international breaks with a defeat.

3-0 win and we enter the break in the play off places with three back-to-back wins without conceding.

3-0 defeat and it's a long time until we next play and have the opportunity to make up for it.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2023 at 15:42, JohnD said:

For me it was the expectation after some very encouraging performances. I was really looking forward to the game and the initial promise was exciting but the final delivery was just unacceptable!

• Like 1