BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 2/9/23

Just now, 47er said:

The problem is these days happen to us all too often. Last season I lost count of the number of chances we created and failed to convert.

The recent transfer Window was surpposed to put that right

To be fair we have looked better in terms of creating and finishing chances this season until yesterday. Hopefully it's a one off.

Other thing to be optimistic about is Ennis, Telalovic, Sigurdsson are all forwards who based on their scoring records at lower levels should bring better finishing. So we need to see whether we improve after the international break.

But it is hope rather than expectation given Gallagher is the only player in the squad whose scored more than 10 goals in a Championship season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the bus was mentioned AGAIN in JDT's post match interview! How long can this keep going for before something gives?

Dom Hyam came off at half time during the 3-0 defeat at Plymouth, with Scott Wharton playing the second half.

When asked about the change, Tomasson replied: “He was not feeling that well.

“I don’t know the reason for that, it could be because it has been a very busy week with a lot of travelling and sitting on the bus with air conditioning.”

I don’t think anyone at Ewood or in India,  has the will to do anything - about anything - any Rovers manager says.

They're all just going through the motions. Sticking to their job and not going beyond it. 

In industry fine. Not in football though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The long journey home last night gave plenty of time to reflect on the game and where we are as a club.  JDT has worked miracles to produce the type of football we are playing with what he has available to him.  The need for an experienced centre-back to replace Hyam when he came off, the need for an experienced striker who knows were the net is and the need for a John Buckley type to replace Adam, who had a poor game, were clear for all to see.  Sadly, as JDT said after the game he didn't get them.  He got more development projects and had to lose two of his first team squad to get them.  So no additional numbers to an already thin squad.

It seems clear, from JDT's comments, that he and the club are on divergent paths.  We have a bright, youngish coach who wants to win, who wants to try to get promotion, who has the highest of standards.  On the other hand we have a cash-strapped club for whom survival in the Championship and the development of young players to sell for profit is now the main goal. 

The fact JDT feels able to come out in public and state that he didn't want to lose Buckley speaks volumes as the where we are as club.

Yesterday we saw the same problems that ought to have been addressed in the window.  Defensive lapses and the inability to put the ball in the net when in total control of the game.  From his comments, I fear JDT does not see the two new arrivals as solving those problems. 

I suspect it is going to be a long, hard season.  I just hope that JDT is prepared to see it out with us.

I think he will and then he'll move on in summer when the offers are there and any compo or remaining contract to walk away from is minimal.

Next summer though will be horrendous, probably more cuts, more sales, more project signing to replace them.  And season ticket sales back to the declining levels they were a few years ago as the no ambition upstairs cat is well out of the bag now.

It would though be a great time to sell the club if they can't fund it to the levels needed.

• Like 5

I have said from the start that the new keeper should have started as soon as he arrives.

We waited for Pears to be his usual shit self just to have some justification to drop him but now that is it. He does not start again this season

Regarding the buckley situation, shocking. We loaned him out purely for financial reasoms not because jdt was not a fan. But no reinvestment. 

Venkys sell the club. Please just go

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Very, very disappointing.

No surprises for me.

Many of us have suspected there is a fragility about Rovers that hasn't been addressed in the window.  The window was immeasurably underwhelming.

Two areas stood out out for me yesterday.

Firstly, IMO, Pears at his best is extremely average, at his worse he's a feckin nightmare.  I have repeatedly expressed my view that he is a keeper who will only get us out of the Championship one way and that's through relegation.  He will cost of a minimum 15/20 points a season.  His tenure as our number one is indefensible and Leopold MUST be our goalie going forward.

Secondly, we struggle to score goals.  Gallagher is not the answer and never has been. , Ennis seems like a sick note whilst Leonard is not yet ready to play as sole striker.  Semir may prove to be a gem but ~I am not holding my breath - to me, he's the type of signing you make IN ADDITION to your new main man.

Even more convinced JDT will now p1ss off at the first opportunity.  We really have fecked him about.

A beautiful September Sunday morning tempered by a huge depressive cloud hovering over Rovers that seemingly simply will not go away.

Totally agree with this. Semir cannot be brought in as your main striker. He hasn’t done it at this level and it is unfair to burden him with that. 

GB knew he had to get a striker and I think Semir is a bit of a desperation signing. I’m not writing him off and hope he bangs 20 goals in but we are relying on the lad to come in from the German lower leagues and bang a load of goals.

The fact Buckley went and not replaced has really irked JDT and rightly so. That is on par with Januarys mess.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

“I was disappointed to (lose) Buckley, I would rather have kept him.

“But as I understand it, we needed to get players out before players could come in. We all know it is a stretched squad and John is a good player.”

The club were keen to bring in a further signing before the window slammed shut but were unsuccessful in their efforts.

“I thought when John went away on loan, we would probably get one more player in,” the boss continued.

“It didn’t happen, I don’t know the reason for that. We all know that we need players in some positions and it is a tough league.”

says it all really. 

This is a massive concern. Seemingly no-one consulted with JDT, which I'm gobsmacked about (I know, I'm a fool).  Whilst JDT doesn't take day to day responsibility for the transfers in and out, he has to have the final say on his squad. GB spoke very clearly about how involved he is in selecting transfer targets and speaking to players before any transfers reach a conclusion. To let a first team player leave without his say so is a shambles. 

I'm sure GB will address this in his usual post-window interview, but on the face it this looks like another deadline day cock-up and another nail in the coffin of the managers tenure. 

Conspiracy: was GB involved in the last minute Buckley departure or was it another cloak and dagger budget cut decision in an already depressingly belt tightening summer? There has to be some accountability, and GBs interview has to address who had the final say on this. If he wasn't involved either then it's further evidence that the owners are meddling in affairs they shouldn't be, probably via Waggott or Pasha, which totally undermines the DoF model.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we missed so many chances yesterday and so much dominence we blew ourselves out after the hour mark,pears did`nt help either,he should have held that first shot and **** knows what he was doing with third goal.iv`e been a defender of pears but clearly now we must give wahlstedt a shot

Not having a go, genuine question. What has Pears ever done to make you a defender of him? He has had such a large number of blunders over his career at Rovers.

• Like 1

I was at the Plymouth game yesterday (Plymouth fan), and you lot played the Green off the park for most of the game. The first 20-25 mins was a footballing lesson for Argyle, bar actually scoring (how the hell did your player miss that sitter..to not even hit the target is insane).

Argyle somehow stayed in the game and took the lead with a pretty lucky goal. Much of the 2nd half was the same (with pockets of Argyle pressure), just Blackburn playing with purpose, until near the penalty area. Argyle did remain dangerous on the break throughout, but the first 25 mins was the best I have seen at Home Park for some time (for the away side).

Your Number 8 is very good. Your keep took the game game away from you.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

This is a massive concern. Seemingly no-one consulted with JDT, which I'm gobsmacked about (I know, I'm a fool).  Whilst JDT doesn't take day to day responsibility for the transfers in and out, he has to have the final say on his squad. GB spoke very clearly about how involved he is in selecting transfer targets and speaking to players before any transfers reach a conclusion. To let a first team player leave without his say so is a shambles. 

I'm sure GB will address this in his usual post-window interview, but on the face it this looks like another deadline day cock-up and another nail in the coffin of the managers tenure. 

Conspiracy: was GB involved in the last minute Buckley departure or was it another cloak and dagger budget cut decision in an already depressingly belt tightening summer? There has to be some accountability, and GBs interview has to address who had the final say on this. If he wasn't involved either then it's further evidence that the owners are meddling in affairs they shouldn't be, probably via Waggott or Pasha, which totally undermines the DoF model.

It is a massive concern & sickening to us fans who have passion for the club.  

We are a Championship club with relatively low publicity. If we were Premiership we'd be more under the radar and perhaps football authorities would have a say. 

As you rightly imply this (JB to SWFC in last hour of transfer window) is evidence on the DoF model failing from the football side. Buckley gone now weakens the squad, JDT's patch. If JB was a difficult team member he'd be disciplined, JDT's patch. Venkys are business people and will look at next month Management Accounts (well I'm not sure they do but....) and see "Wages" cost are less than previous month and everyone on the board will receive a thumbs up email.  

29 minutes ago, booth said:

He’s irked about the lack of a signing, not him going on loan.

Has Rigger deleted the post you quoted? I can't see it on the timeline.

Perhaps realised it's one of the worst posts in the history of the MB. He was out for the last 3 months of the season, he's been involved in most match days and has played in the league cup, to very good effect. 

JDT is the coach, he was appointed to take charge of first team football affairs, and part of that role is to do with his squad what he sees fit. If, all of a sudden first team players are being sent on loan without his agreement, then it massively undermines his position.  Travis was left out for a good portion of last season, and was brought back in when JDT thought he could best effect our performances.  

What's next?  The team news gets faxed over from India? Waggott dangling (ooooh matron) over the box shouting tactics or making substitutions?  

Edited by Jimmy612

10 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Not having a go, genuine question. What has Pears ever done to make you a defender of him? He has had such a large number of blunders over his career at Rovers.

after his monstrous disaster at wigan in the cup i thought he was a goner,fair play to him that he managed to get his confidence back and got the no1 jersey,sadly,he seems to have gone back to his former self in the last 2 months and needs to be taken out of the front line,i think we signed wahlstedt as a number 1 tbh and now he should be introduced

• Like 1

If JDT wanted Buckley that badly then he should have played him. How can he be missing someone who never played 

1 hour ago, Hi Mack said:

Totally agree with this. Semir cannot be brought in as your main striker. He hasn’t done it at this level and it is unfair to burden him with that. 

GB knew he had to get a striker and I think Semir is a bit of a desperation signing. I’m not writing him off and hope he bangs 20 goals in but we are relying on the lad to come in from the German lower leagues and bang a load of goals.

The fact Buckley went and not replaced has really irked JDT and rightly so. That is on par with Januarys mess.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Pears was very good in goal for large parts of last season, JDT clearly rates him too.

He was written off on here after Wigan away in the cup, let’s not write him off again after 1 bad game.

• Like 2

There is obviously an issue with Buckley and JDT which has pushed Buckley down the pecking order. Fair enough, it happens sometimes. Clearly it was felt best for all parties for him to go out on loan. That doesn’t sound like he was an integral member of this seasons squad so JDT shouldn’t be moaning about it now. 

12 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

GB knew he had to get a striker and I think Semir is a bit of a desperation signing.

im`e not writing telalevic off having not seen him play but surely broughton could have brought in someone who was proven at this level,it`s the sign of someone who has no contacts or influence in britain and was ringing round europe asking for cheap players

If ever proof were needed that a week is a long time in football, I think Rovers have just confirmed the fact.

From the euphoria of an excellent dogged display against Watford and THAT Hedges goal , coupled with our largest ever away win in the cup, to a disappointing result (though not display by all accounts) and THAT Hedges miss yesterday.

Along with a transfer window that may take a little while yet to determine it's success or otherwise, I think the jury is still out.

It's a long old season and the fact the Nobbers are top at the moment , along with some strange results yesterday, show there is nothing to really fear in this league

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

He has every right to ‘moan’ about it, a player was shipped out to a fellow Championship side an hour before the window shut without a replacement.

Shipped out to a club so desperate, they are flogging 10 year season tickets.

Dont tell Waggott though, or we will start selling 15 year ones.