BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

On 05/09/2023 at 12:14, TheRovers1994 said:

I can understand that pears couldnโ€™t be dropped while playing well so it was a case of waiting for a clanger and many predicted Leo taking the position after international break which seems to be the case, I took a bit of stick on social media for saying pears is not good enough as a number1 and Iโ€™ve been proven right, great number 2 though best since mark bunn but heโ€™s prone to a clanger which he had at Plymouth so now jdt has to take the opportunity to get Leo in.

.... .... .... .... .... .... ....ย ย 
ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Whalstedt

ย  ย  ย  ย  JRC ย  ย  ย  ย Carter ย  ย  ย  Hyam ย  ย  ย Britain

ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Travis ย  ย Wharton ย szmodics ย  ย 
ย ย  ย ย 
ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Hedges. ย  Gallagher ย Moranย ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Apologies to @TheRovers1994ย for what he - and others - may think of as hijacking his post.

But I've just been watching Match of the Day on the iplayer (the actual broadcast goes onย well beyond this elderly viewer's bedtime!); and I wanted to make a point that I don't think had been made before - and probably won't need to be again - now that Thomas Kempinski has joined Amari Bell in what seems like it will be Luton Town's battle against relegation.

In the Kempinski vs. Pears debate (which may well now become the Pears vs. Waldstedt debate), I was always a Kempinski fan.ย I'm not saying that TK was necessarily the better goalkeeper in all facets of the role; I'm not sufficiently qualified/experienced enough to express an opinion on the technicalities of "being a goalkeeper." It wasย just that I felt more comfortable when I saw his name as the goalkeeper in our League games.

However, having watched the highlights of yesterday's Fulham vs. Luton Town game; and in particular, the only goal of the game, it looked to me to have been a real howler by TK. What you -ย Iย - saw on MotD was that, even though TK didnโ€™t seem to have been under any particular pressure from the Fulham attack, he just didn't get hold of the ball properly, but let it run free to be put into an empty net by the Fulham player.

I don't remember him making similar blunders when he was in goal for us. And that makes me wonder if the bid from Luton for him might have come just at the right time to solve a problem for the club's management. It may be too soon but are TK's best days beginning to be behind him?

As I say, that's no longer a problem for us; so there didn't seem to me to be any point in starting a new thread on that subject. These are just some thoughts about how, for once, we seem to have sold a player whose best days may be beginning to be over; rather than, as it has often seemed, having bought one. Yes, Danny Murphy; Iย  wasย looking at you on MotD, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 hours ago, Irish_Rover said:

Finally got a chance to look at the very limited highlights that Sky provide.

Bloody hell that Dolan chance, assumed it was bad but that was just bonkers. Never mind a bad miss as that can happen to all players, that attempted header looks more like he is trying not to score, he seems to be trying to get his head under it in a clearing fashion.ย 

Its that bad you would nearly question is there some betting scam going on with him!

It was certainly harder to put in a clearing header than it was a scoring header.

35 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Apologies to @TheRovers1994ย for what he - and others - may think of as hijacking his post.

But I've just been watching Match of the Day on the iplayer (the actual broadcast goes onย well beyond this elderly viewer's bedtime!); and I wanted to make a point that I don't think had been made before - and probably won't need to be again - now that Thomas Kempinski has joined Amari Bell in what seems like it will be Luton Town's battle against relegation.

In the Kempinski vs. Pears debate (which may well now become the Pears vs. Waldstedt debate), I was always a Kempinski fan.ย I'm not saying that TK was necessarily the better goalkeeper in all facets of the role; I'm not sufficiently qualified/experienced enough to express an opinion on the technicalities of "being a goalkeeper." It wasย just that I felt more comfortable when I saw his name as the goalkeeper in our League games.

However, having watched the highlights of yesterday's Fulham vs. Luton Town game; and in particular, the only goal of the game, it looked to me to have been a real howler by TK. What you -ย Iย - saw on MotD was that, even though TK didnโ€™t seem to have been under any particular pressure from the Fulham attack, he just didn't get hold of the ball properly, but let it run free to be put into an empty net by the Fulham player.

I don't remember him making similar blunders when he was in goal for us. And that makes me wonder if the bid from Luton for him might have come just at the right time to solve a problem for the club's management. It may be too soon but are TK's best days beginning to be behind him?

As I say, that's no longer a problem for us; so there didn't seem to me to be any point in starting a new thread on that subject. These are just some thoughts about how, for once, we seem to have sold a player whose best days may be beginning to be over; rather than, as it has often seemed, having bought one. Yes, Danny Murphy; Iย  wasย looking at you on MotD, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

He coughed one up away at Fulham that my mum could have kept out. Spilled a really soft shot right into the path of an oncoming Fulham forward. He couldnโ€™t miss and we never recovered.

Wilcox struggled at first mainly because he was about 8 stone wet through despite not being short in height that was his biggest issue.

Crowd were way too harsh at times but he wasn't really ready physically but a bit like now we were desperate. To go from Brotherston, to Sellars to him was at the time a big come down and it wasn't his fault but he took the brunt of it.

Hes said himself though it was character building in its rawest sense and he always had bags of that he didn't melt he was determined to prove everyone wrong.ย  Different era though when boo boys were water off a ducks back to most players it was part and parcel and everybody had them, a lot worse than ours as well.ย 

17 hours ago, 47er said:

Never understood this in relation to Wilcox. Local lad, came up though the ranks, held his place amongst a horde of big transfer players and capped for England!

Yet plenty of his own fans didn't like him!!

PSย  you missed John "Handbag" Connelly off that list!

That takes me back, @47er, to a game at Bramall Lane in the late 1960s, which were the days when stands were unsegregated. An old schoolmate of mine had joined the police in - I seem to remember - the West Riding; but lived not too far from Sheffield and had invited me to stay with him & his Missus for the weekend. He'd got tickets for him and me from Sheffield United.

Connelly was having one of those games which showed why he'd earned that, erm, "affectionate" nickname.

There was a minister of religion - to judge by his collar - sitting in the seat in front of mine and asked the person sitting next to him, "Why do they call him that?" I leant forward and explained that it was because we perceived him as being a bit soft.

On a slightly different tack, I'm as sure as I can be that he was also President of the Brierfield Fish-fryers Association on account of owning a chippy in that part of the world. Excuse an old fogey commenting on the changes we've seen in my lifetime but I can't imagine, say, Jack Grealish opening a chippy to augment what he earned from football!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I did see Suhail Pasha yesterday coming out Blackburn End when you enter the stadium at the family stand end around 2.10pm.ย 

You should've given him directions to the fans forum meeting room just so he knows where it is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hasta said:

ย 

About 6:32 on this video a great angle of the Pears save from Oโ€™Brien. On the tv highlights it looks like the hardly touches it, but here it is certainly going in.

Good that, ta. The Boro fans certainly thought it was in,it's a great save. Like you say, the tv highlights didn't do it justice.ย 

Edited by M_B

2 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Nah. Goalkeepers get better into their 30s. TK is just entering his prime, so it is a pity he will be spending a considerable part of it picking the ball out of the net. I liked the guy, and felt he was one of our better signings in the past few years. But he is a Hatter now, and he's made his bed. Goodbye Thomas, and good luck.

I was,nt impressed with Yesterday's performance, it took a midfielder to take the points, and he was unlucky not to get a hat trickย  if it wasn't for a good save from the Boro keeper. If Schmodics had not been playing we would have lost the game 0-1. From the last 2 games our strikers have scored 0 goals. Let's hope our strikers find their scoring boots against Sunderland Wednesday. We'll done Rovers for bouncing back against Boro and let's have some goals from our strike force.

11 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I was,nt impressed with Yesterday's performance, it took a midfielder to take the points, and he was unlucky not to get a hat trickย  if it wasn't for a good save from the Boro keeper. If Schmodics had not been playing we would have lost the game 0-1. From the last 2 games our strikers have scored 0 goals. Let's hope our strikers find their scoring boots against Sunderland Wednesday. We'll done Rovers for bouncing back against Boro and let's have some goals from our strike force.

Strange as I thought we played some scintillating football and could have had 5 or 6 on another day. JDT is working wonders and turning water into wine. Roll on Wednesday.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

not sure if you`ve been abscent from everything rovers connected but we don`t have a strike force,the situation has been going on from the start of jdt`s reign ,gallagher is`nt a goalscorer,dolan is`nt anything,leonard is raw and telalelovic has never played in england,it`s not ideal but then our owners are a bunch of ***** and criminals(allegedly!!!!!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

ย 

I donโ€™t know why you are picking this hill to die on but as others have pointed out there is no doubt that people using this site can have a harsh judgement on players. And that is hardly a controversial statement to anyone other than yourself.

The post above was made 10 minutes in to the match, thatโ€™s what I meant when I said that people were writing him off after 10 minutes of his debut. Tbh itโ€™s a pretty mental thing to do, especially when criticising someone who doesnโ€™t speak the language, has never played at this level, has only been at the club for a couple of weeks, and has less than 45 minutes to impress.

I honestly donโ€™t know why you are arguing this point but I hope this is the end of it!

Gonna just step in here and say that the board is for opinions, as far as I know and - ย aside from getting incredibly personal and abusive - the opinions on players are exactly that: opinions. If you donโ€™t like it, disagree with it. Holding a post up as โ€œa pretty mental thing to do,โ€ isnโ€™t that.

I am the last to person to be inherently negative about Rovers and the players that play for Rovers. There are plenty that drone on about their own personal pariahs, week-in, week-out. My only continuous grievance is the owners, Pasha and Waggott, a hill I will die on.

The player that Gregg and he himself described was a lot different to the one that I saw in those few minutes. Assuming he is match fit, having been at a Bundesliga side, having the international break and a behind-closed doors friendly, as well as no indication that he wasnโ€™t up to match fitness, he was the slowest player in the forward line, straight off the bench and slower than most of their defenders. Couldnโ€™t effectively press, didnโ€™t seem to have much positional awareness, either.

At 23, I suppose I would normally think he can cope with the occasion of a debut, but itโ€™s fair to say that nerves must have played a part in his performance.

As I said yesterday, I hope he proves me wrong and Iโ€™ll be delighted if he did, but for all the constant whinging about โ€œ15-20 goal a season strikersโ€ on here, I still donโ€™t think I saw anything yesterday that hints at close to that. Most posters on here think Dolan, Gallagher and Pears are not of the required standard, either, but he looked a way off even their levels.

Niall Ennis is a year older but looked off a lot higher level than Telalovic coming off the bench. He got pelters for not putting a chance away on his debut off the bench, but I canโ€™t remember anyone rushing to his defence. On this board, heโ€™s been labelled as fat, a pisshead and a crock, some of it before heโ€™d kicked a ball. Few have chirped up.

As it happens, the player does speak the language (numerous mentions of this in interviews with others, as well as his own interview in good English) and two weeks pure training, as well as a behind-closed-doors friendly is not an insignificant amount of time.

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

not sure if you`ve been abscent from everything rovers connected but we don`t have a strike force,the situation has been going on from the start of jdt`s reign ,gallagher is`nt a goalscorer,dolan is`nt anything,leonard is raw and telalelovic has never played in england,it`s not ideal but then our owners are a bunch of ***** and criminals(allegedly!!!!!)

If I was manager, Schmodics would be playing up front.ย 

• Like 1