BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

Just watched the low lights, not sure wtf Pears was doing for some of those goals, he literally punches one straight to their lad. 

On the plus side, Leonard gets another, despite having a defenders arms wrapped around him and Szmodics finish was superb.

Still, no points though.

Edited by davulsukur

3 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

It was a bad result but let's stay calm..look at Ipswich record. They have been flying this season..jdt gave a team talk at half time and we almost got a point out of the game. Lets keep realistic about this result. 

I don't think anyone realistically expected Rovers to win today, but it's the manner in which we're conceding some really poor goals that stings. I think its escalated by the fact that so many people have recognised that Pears is not good enough and this isn't the first game this season that he's been really poor. Something simple has to change there, and that change should be Wahlstedt coming.

Then it's about the midfield and how we seem far too open. 2nd half vs Boro, Sunderland in midweek and now today we've been cut through with relative ease. We need a no nonsense midfielder in there to sit in front of the defence. I thought Tronstad would be that player, but he can't get a look in right now.

If we want to tighten up I think we have to sacrifice one of Travis, Wharton or Szmodics. Sammie is the first name on the team sheet atm and right so, so who do you drop out of Trav and Adam? Adam has played a lot of football recently without a proper pre-season. He's been poor in the last couple of games, so maybe he needs a breather.

I'm hopeful about Sigurdsson. It's a great way to start your time at the club by bagging on your debut. It'll be a huge boost if he can make the wide left forward position his own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Just watched the low lights, not sure wtf Pears was doing for some of those goals, he literally punches one straight to their lad. 

On the plus side, Leonard gets another, despite having a defenders arms wrapped around him and Szmodics finish was superb.

Still, no points though.

Was an OG, no Leonard goal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Still, no points though.

Think Leonards will go down as an OG.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

If Wharton is going to play the role you are talking about he needs a third body in there. He is not working hard enough to perform in a two. I don't think anyone is expecting every pass to split the opposition, but too many of his passes are going straight to the other team and putting us under pressure. He is jogging back when our defenders are under pressure. We need someone sitting in front of the back 4 to allow Wharton to have more options with a pass and also to mop up and cover for his lack of workrate.

The problem with 3 in midfield is how to you acommodate Sammy? can he play on the the wing? or do you try and push him forward to play as a striker? not sure either of them are realistic options. We appear to have painted ourselves into a corner and JDT needs to figure this out quickly

That’s why JRC is so important. No coincidence we’ve shipped goals for fun since he’s stopped playing.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 4

3 things 

1) How many more mistakes till Leo comes in ?

2) How many games of missing midfield to know , travis and whortan can't play together on 2 man mid

3) How many more games you gonna throw Telalovic in impossible situation to drain his confidence further ?

But siggy was class above all wide players we have 

• Like 3

Madness today. I've stuck up for Pears but disaster doesn't cover it today. Needs dropping for that performance and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in a Rovers shirt in the league again if Leo gets the nod. 

I don't know what's happening at the moment because I believe we're better than most teams on paper but it's just sheer chaos with no structure at times. In possession I know what the idea is but out of possession we're just everywhere. 

He needs to take us back to basics because I think he's perhaps demanding too much of what these players can give him. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

That’s why JRC is so important. No coincidence we’ve shipped goals for fun since he’s stopped playing.

Brittain back at left back ?

I'm surprised Pickering doesn't get more stick he's another persistent weak link but Pears is getting all the heat at present.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Brittain back at left back ?

I'm surprised Pickering doesn't get more stick he's another persistent weak link but Pears is getting all the heat at present.

bro by that standard even hymm and carter doing lots mistakes tdy...

the commentary made a classic line "ROVERS midfield is missing "

28 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

One glance at Twitter and you see how far we've fallen. Ipswich fans reassuring us that we'll stay up this season. Yes, Ipswich, a league one side last year, reassuring us that we'll be OK.

To be fair I wouldn't take my football opinions from Twitter, it's populated by morons. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neal said:

Madness today. I've stuck up for Pears but disaster doesn't cover it today. Needs dropping for that performance and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in a Rovers shirt in the league again if Leo gets the nod. 

I don't know what's happening at the moment because I believe we're better than most teams on paper but it's just sheer chaos with no structure at times. In possession I know what the idea is but out of possession we're just everywhere. 

He needs to take us back to basics because I think he's perhaps demanding too much of what these players can give him. 

Certainly not today though we weren’t, despite the tight scoreline. First team to really dominate us for large patches (possession aside).

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Certainly not today though we weren’t, despite the tight scoreline. First team to really dominate us for large patches (possession aside).

Tbf Watford dominated us as well, they just had a Rovers in front of goal. 

26 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

If we want to tighten up I think we have to sacrifice one of Travis, Wharton or Szmodics. Sammie is the first name on the team sheet atm and right so, so who do you drop out of Trav and Adam?

I'd be looking to bring a 3rd man in midfield to play with Trav and Wharton. Move Szmodics up to the front 3 with Sigursson and whoever.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ish. I still remember that one lad of theirs having circa 10 shots from 25 yards+. 

We were very lucky to escape with a win there, honestly. Think we had one decent shot on goal and it went in. Going to need a few more games to go like that this season to be comfortable. 

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf Watford dominated us as well, they just had a Rovers in front of goal. 

I think you called us spineless away from home DE, that is simply not true, but that doesn't take away from the fact we are not winning games and things must change.

Are we now The Championship entertainers? JDT seeing no other option than to play open expansive football home and away because he has no other option?

Edited by Gav

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

I still think our major problem is not playing three in central mid-field

Beginning to agree on that. Getting overrun in there atm. Also time for the Pears situation to come to a head. I don't know if the defence are losing confidence in him but Wahlstedt now has to be given his chance.

It's crazy, because I really believe we have a squad capable of challenging if we can get the balance right in the team

Positives. Sigurdsson looked good and scored on his debut. Leonard is improving. Szmodics scored another goal.

Play did improve in the second half but I think part of that was that Ipswich had given it their all in the first.

Shame there's too many weak links for the positives to see us through.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think you called us spineless away from home DE, that is simply not true, but that doesn't take away from the fact we are not winning games and things must change.

Are we now The Championship entertainers? JDT seeing no other option than to play open expansive football home and away because he has no other option.

Who needs a striker by the way?

Might have been a bit harsh, but there are periods when we become overwhelmed and go into our shells. We have the ability to fight back but give ourselves too much of a hill to climb during those periods when we panic and lose our heads. Have to get it sorted. 

• Like 3