BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Just some stats for the keeper discussion 

2nd most goals conceded 

Most shots faced, 2nd most for shots on target 

7th worst for goals per shot on target (Southampton, Boro and Hull all worse)

Stats wise you can see the justification for another centre back rather than keeper.  From the 'eye test' though the keepers do look the weak point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

2nd most goals conceded 

Stats wise you can see the justification for another centre back rather than keeper.  From the 'eye test' though the keepers do look the weak point. 

Just look at the goals yesterday. The first was a set piece and there must have been 6 or 7 players against their 1 by the time they got the ball down and the all just crabbed sideways and let him shoot, some of the worst defending I have ever seen.

The second I think the keeper should have done better with personally, but the defence still exposed him similarly.

There is something seriously wrong with our defensive setup and I'm not sure any signings in any position will change a thing if we refuse to adapt anything.

22 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

For the ever optimists, here is some comments from Killie and Villa fans ref Chrisene.  Surprised he's a centre mid in their view 

Blackburn Rovers fans having a meltdown over this signing, in a negative way, as seem to think they're signing too many youngsters, that might be case, but judging from some of the comments I think they might be surprised at how good he is, they should also note he's probably just as good if not better in central midfield and can also play on the wing. A lot will depend on how his injuries have affected him, but if he's as good as he was then he should be okay in the Championship, was rated in the same class as our very best academy players at one point, and that still might be the case, again will come down to how much his injuries have affected him.

Centre mid is where i think he is best. Could have been a Gareth Barry mk 2 but has suffered from so many injuries since the FA Youth Cup win. Good luck to him and i hope he can get a run of games. 

Chrisene getting a loan to the Championship shouldn't be a shock, he's already proven himself at Scottish Premier League level, if it wasn't for injuries it would have already happened before now, he's one of our more highly rated academy players of recent times

should be physically well able for it

Yeh, that's especially surprising, especially since Transfermarkt has data for where he played in 47 of his career appearances at all levels, and not a single one of them was at CM! (36 LB, 10 LM, 1 RM). That data won't be complete of course, they have him having played 63 games in all at club level (U18 and upwards), so there are 16 games missing there. But they'll likely be the games played at the highest levels he's played.

Of course, sometimes a player might switch position mid-game, so maybe he does move into CM mid-game sometimes and the stats won't record that. But if he was genuinely better there I'd expect at least some appearances purely at CM by now.

I knew about one serious injury last Jan (ligaments I think) during his spell at Kilmarnock which gave me a little concern, but it sounds like he has had more injury woes than just that.

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I wouldn't be signing a keeper in this window. When Pears is fit I would put back into the team and I'm fine with that for rest of the season and next. 

I would be focusing on signing players we need. For example a striker who can finish the chances we created. 

We need a goalie as neither Pears nor Leo are up to it.

On average, I reckon our two goalies have averaged a mistake per game leading to a goal meaning you need to find a striker capable of netting at least a goal per game in order to 'stand still'!  Mission impossible!

If it was up to me, I'd be trying to offload Leo (there was competition for his signature when we signed him), accepting it wasn't working out for either party and use whatever we got to sign another goalie.  If that enabled us to sign Beadle permananently then surely we would be no worse off?!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

For the ever optimists, here is some comments from Killie and Villa fans ref Chrisene.  Surprised he's a centre mid in their view 

Blackburn Rovers fans having a meltdown over this signing, in a negative way, as seem to think they're signing too many youngsters, that might be case, but judging from some of the comments I think they might be surprised at how good he is, they should also note he's probably just as good if not better in central midfield and can also play on the wing. A lot will depend on how his injuries have affected him, but if he's as good as he was then he should be okay in the Championship, was rated in the same class as our very best academy players at one point, and that still might be the case, again will come down to how much his injuries have affected him.

Centre mid is where i think he is best. Could have been a Gareth Barry mk 2 but has suffered from so many injuries since the FA Youth Cup win. Good luck to him and i hope he can get a run of games. 

Chrisene getting a loan to the Championship shouldn't be a shock, he's already proven himself at Scottish Premier League level, if it wasn't for injuries it would have already happened before now, he's one of our more highly rated academy players of recent times

should be physically well able for it

If you are good enough you are old enough. We just have a few who aren’t good enough. Whatever the age. 

• Like 1

Harry Leonard going out on loan is an awkward one. On one hand I think it's the right thing for him to go and start every week and get some goals in League One, give him confidence to come back to Rovers in the summer and stake a claim for that main striker role.....BUT, we are so lacking in striking options and although its only 4 goals in all comps, he's our third highest scorer this season. We would simply have to have an incoming striker with more experience on the horizon if we are willing to let Leonard go out on loan.

Garrett potentially going out as well seems utterly insane given we've let Travis go out on loan already. Again....unless we've got someone coming in who can walk into our starting 11 instead of Tronstad or Wharton, I'm struggling to see the logic in letting Garrett go out on loan.

Doubt we'll bring a new keeper in this month. They'll be banking on Pears coming back in....cheaper option than bringing a new keeper into the club and all that.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Harry Leonard going out on loan is an awkward one. On one hand I think it's the right thing for him to go and start every week and get some goals in League One, give him confidence to come back to Rovers in the summer and stake a claim for that main striker role.....BUT, we are so lacking in striking options and although its only 4 goals in all comps, he's our third highest scorer this season. We would simply have to have an incoming striker with more experience on the horizon if we are willing to let Leonard go out on loan.

Garrett potentially going out as well seems utterly insane given we've let Travis go out on loan already. Again....unless we've got someone coming in who can walk into our starting 11 instead of Tronstad or Wharton, I'm struggling to see the logic in letting Garrett go out on loan.

Doubt we'll bring a new keeper in this month. They'll be banking on Pears coming back in....cheaper option than bringing a new keeper into the club and all that.

But Pears is literally a worse GK than Wahlstedt...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

2nd most goals conceded 

The eyes never lie.

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That's absolute madness IMO, Pears is just as shit as Wahlstedt. Which of them is better is just a case of who is or isn't in form at the time, and Pears could certainly be ropey coming back from an injury...he was also becoming ropey again before it. Even if he is better than Wahlstedt he is still woefully inadequate and will cost us a lot of goals over a half season.

But to each their own, if you think he's hunky dory I think you can't spot a keeper at all, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I can spot players thanks Bruce, I just don't agree with your opinion. I see Wahlstedt has someone who need developing and understand the game over here where he will need to better at claiming crosses and command of his box but he is still young in terms of peak years as a keeper 

44 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Let me ask you though, we are 9th in the league for goals scored and 2nd from bottom for conceded. Why do you think we need to score more goals more urgently than we need to stop them going in, and if it's not the goalkeepers at fault, why are we conceding so many in your view?

IF you look at the Watford game we should have been out of sight before we they scored. If we had been 2 or 3 nil then we don't lose that game. 

I also want 2 more defenders in. A centre back who is commanding in the air would help our defence and the keeper. Looks like O'Riordan is the other one we want. 

I want a centre midfield in who can back up Tronstad. 

We have conceded more cos our players have made mistakes or lack of form or not defending properly.  

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We need a goalie as neither Pears or Leo are up to it.

On average, I reckon our two goalies have averaged a mistake per game leading to a goal meaning you need to find a striker capable of netting at least a goal per game in order to 'stand still'!  Mission impossible!

If it was up to me, I'd be trying to offload Leo (there was competition for his signature when we signed him), accepting it wasn't working out for either party and use whatever we got to sign another goalie.  If that enabled us to sign Beadle permanently then surely we would be no worse off?!

Wahlstedt can't sign for another club as he would have already played for 2 clubs this season. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can spot players thanks Bruce, I just don't agree with your opinion. I see Wahlstedt has someone who need developing and understand the game over here where he will need to better at claiming crosses and command of his box but he is still young in terms of peak years as a keeper 

IF you look at the Watford game we should have been out of sight before we they scored. If we had been 2 or 3 nil then we don't lose that game. 

I also want 2 more defenders in. A centre back who is commanding in the air would help our defence and the keeper. Looks like O'Riordan is the other one we want. 

I want a centre midfield in who can back up Tronstad. 

We have conceded more cos our players have made mistakes or lack of form or not defending properly.  

Wahlstedt can't sign for another club as he would have already played for 2 clubs this season. 

A player can be registered with three clubs in a season but only play for two.

So in theory we could offload Wahlstedt.

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh, that's especially surprising, especially since Transfermarkt has data for where he played in 47 of his career appearances at all levels, and not a single one of them was at CM! (36 LB, 10 LM, 1 RM). That data won't be complete of course, they have him having played 63 games in all at club level (U18 and upwards), so there are 16 games missing there. But they'll likely be the games played at the highest levels he's played.

Of course, sometimes a player might switch position mid-game, so maybe he does move into CM mid-game sometimes and the stats won't record that. But if he was genuinely better there I'd expect at least some appearances purely at CM by now.

I knew about one serious injury last Jan (ligaments I think) during his spell at Kilmarnock which gave me a little concern, but it sounds like he has had more injury woes than just that.

Sounds as though he fits JDTs tactics to a T. Left back who can slot into midfield in the system. Might be a gem but personally was hoping for a plain old school left back that won't leave us exposed 

• Like 1

Gelhardt is a name that came up a lot last season, absolutely not what we need. Another flighty number 10 type who struggled when played as a striker for Sunderland.

Mind you, it is Nixon, still baffles me that people pay their hard earned to read the shite he spouts.

O'Riordan again doesnt scream a solution now to our defensive woes. That will likely require a change of tact from the manager. We have a bunch of defenders some of whom are proven at this level but are our out of form and being left exposed.

Gallagher would be a loss, but as ever finance is the primary focus. For all of his limiations, he is clearly our best striker just by being bang average.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Sounds as though he fits JDTs tactics to a T. Left back who can slot into midfield in the system. Might be a gem but personally was hoping for a plain old school left back that won't leave us exposed 

there is literally nothing to say he would not be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

But Pears is literally a worse GK than Wahlstedt...

I don't think there's currently much between them although i think Leo  has plenty of potential for improvement where as Pears is probably as good as he's going to get, The problem with Leo right now is that he's been thrown in at the deep end without armbands and his confidance is getting shattered

Id love us to sign an experienced veteran keeper on a short term deal, someone to take the pressure off Leo and gving him someone to learn from. 

Pears is an excellent back up keeper, but I doubt he'd now settle for being a backup 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

A player can be registered with three clubs in a season but only play for two.

So in theory we could offload Wahlstedt.

why would any club sign a player they couldn't play for 6 months? 🤔

Getting rid of Gallagher wouldn’t be a miss. He’s been missing pretty much all season. 2 starts since 19th April last year. His wages could definitely be put to better use just by finding someone who isn’t always injured.

• Like 9

Just now, Miller11 said:

Getting rid of Gallagher wouldn’t be a miss. He’s been missing pretty much all season. 2 starts since 19th April last year. His wages could definitely be put to better use just by finding someone who isn’t always injured.

If Broughton manages to shift Gallagher off the wage bill this January (with any sort of transfer fee to boot) then he's a miracle worker.

I just don't see it happening.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Hear Rovers have asked Brighton about their young goalie Beadle.  Highly rated but not the experienced goalie we need.

Eastham joins Hyde so could be something here.... would prefer an experienced Forest reserve goalie....

Edit: Can we loan three players from the same club.

Edited by neophox

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I wouldn't be signing a keeper in this window. When Pears is fit I would put back into the team and I'm fine with that for rest of the season and next. 

I would be focusing on signing players we need. For example a striker who can finish the chances we created. 

But Telalovic is 'improving every game' isn't he?

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Eastham joins Hyde so could be something here.... would prefer an experienced Forest reserve goalie....

Edit: Can we loan three players from the same club.

He’s going to Wednesday the local press claim.