BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

There could be something in the Palace-Wharton story. South London Press is a well established local newspaper with a good reputation. Many national journalists have moved to Fleet Street from there.

Still think it's wrong move for him and far too early. He must be disillusioned at what's happened at Ewood this season. "Love" of a club only goes so far 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, booth said:

Not the same. And I didn't say he wouldn't go. I said he didn't want to go.

The sad thing is he's been given a shove from his superiors, and not for the first time.

I'm not doubting what your saying but odd the club renewed his contract only a few months ago if they were set on moving him on this January,as he still had 4 years to run.And presumably his contract renewal was to do with upping his money ,if the club had wanted him out in the summer and were unhappy he declined the offer to leave you would think they would have kept him on his original wage and force him to be more accepting of a move away .

Or is it a case of the money men wanting to move him on but the football side Broughton etc seeing value in waiting before cashing in?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

There could be something in the Palace-Wharton story. South London Press is a well established local newspaper with a good reputation. Many national journalists have moved to Fleet Street from there.

Still think it's wrong move for him and far too early. He must be disillusioned at what's happened at Ewood this season. "Love" of a club only goes so far 

I can see Hodgson wanting to take him under his wing but it's a long way to go when Rovers have been your life since you  were 6. Money talks as they say, he could be set for life.

Such a shame all ambition has been stripped from BRFC.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm not doubting what your saying but odd the club renewed his contract only a few months ago if they were set on moving him on this January,as he still had 4 years to run.And presumably his contract renewal was to do with upping his money ,if the club had wanted him out in the summer and were unhappy he declined the offer to leave you would think they would have kept him on his original wage and force him to be more accepting of a move away .

Or is it a case of the money men wanting to move him on but the football side Broughton etc seeing value in waiting before cashing in?

Oh there's a power struggle alright. You've got Waggot wanting one thing and Broughton/JDT wanting another. Then add Venkys and their underlings to the structure and it's totally dysfunctional.

The season was still ongoing when the players discovered the cost cutting/generate cash through player sales. Which makes me think, why wasn't this kept from them? Some of them will have known that no matter how well they played they were being released. Some incentive. Some motivation.

I suppose that's why I'm willing to cut JDT some slack more than most. When I see the players playing like they've only just met, I wonder how much of that is the club executives affecting game preparations.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So you don't think Travis, Buckley, Pears, Pickering, Hyam, Scott Wharton, Carter, Brittain, Garrett, Tronstadt, Sigurdsson, Gallagher Vale Markandy or Leonard would raise any funds if they left?

I'd be disappointed if Scott Wharton left and I think Garrett has a lot of potential, Leonard to a lesser degree. The others I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over.

The only two we really need to keep are Szmodics and Adam Wharton who ironically will probably be the first ones to go.

Some of them no, people like Vale/Markanday/Leonard, or injured players like Carter and Pickering. Some of the others like Sigurdsson, Tronstad, Hyam etc, they wouldnt generate significant fees, you have some players that have just joined so will likely be against moving and they are important to us so it will be hard to equally replace them, never mind improve.

But the fact you seem to be ignoring is that Venkys dont allow wheeling and dealing. The money wont just be sat waiting to be re spent.

10 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

No coincidence news of this bid emerges hours after the court hearing in India 

I thought it was coincidental that the bid was made on the same day as the supposed Court hearing. 

Palace trying to ratchet up the pressure on us?

"Conspiracy theory hat on"

Not so much as a dicky bird about the outcome of the Court Hearing either way.

Odd or not?

Presumably Venky's would have had representatives there who would have informed the Club of the outcome?

If Wharton goes to Palace, this will be the first, and only test required of the "new system"/project (Whatever we're calling it).

The idea of this new regime is surely to sell players and reinvest a chunk of that money into better players, save some money back for running costs sure, but a chunk should be reinvested. 

If we sell him and sign a couple of players for £100k from league 2, the protest thread need some serious hammer as they will be well and truly trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I've been dreading a big sale like this (should it happen) as we'll know once and for all what the priority for the owners is. Pocketing cash or trying to improve Blackburn Rovers.

History tells us it's likely to be pocketing the cash.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

If Wharton goes to Palace, this will be the first, and only test required of the "new system"/project (Whatever we're calling it).

The idea of this new regime is surely to sell players and reinvest a chunk of that money into better players, save some money back for running costs sure, but a chunk should be reinvested. 

If we sell him and sign a couple of players for £100k from league 2, the protest thread need some serious hammer as they will be well and truly trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I've been dreading a big sale like this (should it happen) as we'll know once and for all what the priority for the owners is. Pocketing cash or trying to improve Blackburn Rovers.

History tells us it's likely to be pocketing the cash.

Was covid the excuse for the Adam Armstrong money disappearing?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, martonrover said:

How would that affect Crystal Palace's transfer strategy?

Not for the first time a buying club could have been asked to keep their bid quiet for a period of time

12 months later but presumably the money to sign Brittain ,Hyam and Szmodic came from the Armstrong sale? 

So about £5 million was reinvested .Not a defence of the owners btw but if it wasn't from the Armstrong sale that we bought those then it must have been owner funded as we didn't have any other sale to cover those signings 

• Like 1

Obviously there are many clubs interested in Wharton, those interested are not in a position to blow 15-20 million on a rookie for the future. Palace are going earlier as they know the price would be higher in the summer. Smart on their end. 18 million with add ons, with Saki on loan until the end of the season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

12 months later but presumably the money to sign Brittain ,Hyam and Szmodic came from the Armstrong sale? 

So about £5 million was reinvested .Not a defence of the owners btw but if it wasn't from the Armstrong sale that we bought those then it must have been owner funded as we didn't have any other sale to cover those signings 

Surely for money to be reinvested, it should be in the same window. No good replacing a striker 12 months later with a right back, an attacking midfielder and a centre back. 

They do have the occasional random investment window but they are outweighed by sales that totally vanish and sale opportunities that they decline. All in all, no joined up thinking at all.

18 minutes ago, RoryRoversIreland said:

Obviously there are many clubs interested in Wharton, those interested are not in a position to blow 15-20 million on a rookie for the future. Palace are going earlier as they know the price would be higher in the summer. Smart on their end. 18 million with add ons, with Saki on loan until the end of the season. 

What a dreadful deal that would be from our point of view. If he went ought to be minimum £20m plus very substantial add ons.

As for a player coming in temporarily on loan for a few games, who cares? Doesn't help us next season.

Edit: Looks like the player in question has never scored a goal above League 1 level either. Much like Hirst before he came here.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

If Palace are offering Sakyi on loan, plus £18m, plus add ons, I can't see us passing that up.

Sakyi would liven up the attack and Broughton will be thinking job done on signing a goalscorer.

It won't be as we'll still need a striker with or without. Then 6 months later we'll lose Sakyi and the £18m will have disappeared. Back to square one and without Wharton.

The only good thing coming out of A Wharton going would be if we could put it towards a CB, LB, CM, winger and a quality striker (and a goalie if we can manage it).

• Like 2

Just now, booth said:

If Palace are offering Sakyi on loan, plus £18m, plus add ons, I can't see us passing that up.

Sakyi would liven up the attack and Broughton will be thinking job done on signing a goalscorer.

It won't be as we'll still need a striker with or without. Then 6 months later we'll lose Sakyi and the £18m will have disappeared. Back to square one and without Wharton.

The only good thing coming out of A Wharton going would be if we could put it towards a CB, LB, CM, winger and a quality striker (and a goalie if we can manage it).

I took the post to mean a total of £18m including add ons.

Terrible deal if that's the case, the player's neither here nor there.