BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, DackDackGoose said:

20m is useless with 5 days in the window to go.. we'll get relegated / hardly will go for a promotion push.

I'd love to know how we're going to be involved in the promotion race

Wharton won't save us from relegation but in the event of a sale not buying at least 2 replacements will possibly do so

• Like 1

If Wharton goes for let's say £20m, we will be lucky to see £2m available for transfers. The money will be used to bypass asking a judge to transfer money. In our hearts we all know this. Better get our maps out and check how to get to Port Vale's ground as we'll be in League 1 this, or next season.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

We are not a club that does this.

Anyone (I know you have just said "if") thinking selling Wharton gives us a chance to strengthen hasn't been paying attention. 

The apparent court non-decision means this will be our bill-paying money. And we lose our only creative central midfielder.

This will be the test of GB as DoF. It'll be the first time he has had a genuinely significant windfall. In fairness the more expensive signings he has made - Sam, Hyam, Brittain - have turned out between ok to very good so maybe bargain basement isn't his forte. 

2 minutes ago, unsall said:

Think everyone has forgot about the player himself,they could offer 25 ml and I don’t think Adam would go there. He knows there are more interesting teams watching him including Newcastle who I think will be his destination, when they sell a couple and be in a position to buy again re FFP.

I don't think you go to the trouble of making bids without knowing if the player is interested or not.

It's not football manager where you just go and bid for anyone you fancy, months of work goes into these sorts of things before you actually make a bid for someone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

They wouldn’t re-invest much of the cash even without court case, but if there is no outcome on that till March the team can wave goodbye to the lot.

This is why they are so keen for Wharton to return on loan. No one is coming in....

• Like 4

Well last time they were granted funding to pay bills and keep the lights on, they can easily be granted this again, money from transfers is money generated in England and is under zero restrictions from the Indian Government, it’s not money that has ever or will ever be in there country. 

6 minutes ago, alex l said:

This will be the test of GB as DoF. It'll be the first time he has had a genuinely significant windfall. In fairness the more expensive signings he has made - Sam, Hyam, Brittain - have turned out between ok to very good so maybe bargain basement isn't his forte. 

I'd be amazed if he had any kind of windfall at all. Financially we were already screwed. If the postponed court decision means there is a delay in sending the money required to pay the bills then GB will have nothing more than his current 'healthy budget' to play with. The whole thing is a joke. DoF and a recruitment team, with no money. Its a farce.

Selling Wharton will not be a positive, on any level.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, unsall said:

Think everyone has forgot about the player himself,they could offer 25 ml and I don’t think Adam would go there. He knows there are more interesting teams watching him including Newcastle who I think will be his destination, when they sell a couple and be in a position to buy again re FFP.

Not sure about that. According to the Palace forums (as someone posted above) they've been tracking him for some time, talking to his family, him, his agent selling the move to him. They wouldn't be bidding if there wasn't interest in the move from Wharton's side.

Also, he goes to Palace, finds his feet in the premier league, much less pressure than if he joined Spurs, Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle etc.

He gets settled into the league and moves on from Palace further down the line. All the while he develops at a better club and gets paid a lot more. It's a borderline no brainer.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pick32 said:

We just spent 500k on a league 2 CB aswel after they already had confirmation of the court being moved, can’t be that skint 

Did we, though? What's the payment structure on the deal? It seemed to take several weeks to negotiate. I don't think we know what has actually been paid? And I assume the wages are less than what we were paying Hill. Quids in, perhaps?

Our market is cheap young players to replace experience and talent. It isn't a model thats likely to work well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not sure about that. According to the Palace forums (as someone posted above) they've been tracking him for some time, talking to his family, him, his agent selling the move to him. They wouldn't be bidding if there wasn't interest in the move from Wharton's side.

Also, he goes to Palace, finds his feet in the premier league, much less pressure than if he joined Spurs, Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle etc.

He gets settled into the league and moves on from Palace further down the line. All the while he develops at a better club and gets paid a lot more. It's a borderline no brainer.

If I was Wharton, Palace would be one of the last Premier League Clubs I'd want to go to, they seemingly lack much ambition and always look to be two or three bad results away from being dragged into a relegation battle at the best of times.

They're running even worse at the moment and I'd say if he went there there'd be a pretty high chance he'd be back in the Championship within 18 months.

59 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yeah we've been through this before!

My recollection was Ken Furphy took Field and Terry Garbutt (?)  to then 1st Div Sheff Utd when he left and there was then a very unsatisfactory period with Dick Dinnis as caretaker.

Lee then came  towards the end of that season and completely  rebuilt the side over the close season. Whether the Field money (£75k was it?)  paid for the new signings I wouldn't like to say. We made a lot of signings and there was quite a gap between the two events.

A few months. I think Furphy took Field around March 1974.

It was an awful few months until the season finished, but Lee did a lot of business between May and July-Beamish, Hawkins, Oates etc- to give is a promotion winning team , ready for the following season.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If I was Wharton, Palace would be one of the last Premier League Clubs I'd want to go to, they seemingly lack much ambition and always look to be two or three bad results away from being dragged into a relegation battle at the best of times.

They're running even worse at the moment and I'd say if he went there there'd be a pretty high chance he'd be back in the Championship within 18 months.

I don't disagree with you, however that's us looking at it from the outside.

It's certainly not how Palace will have sold the move to Wharton, his family or his agent though.

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

I don't disagree with you, however that's us looking at it from the outside.

It's certainly not how Palace will have sold the move to Wharton, his family or his agent though.

Newcastle are surely the right Club for him -if they're interested/FFP allow.