BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

The club is in no position to turn down an offer of more than 20m for Wharton.

We have done this too ourself’s for years of poor signings and poor contracting. 

Gallagher has been a total enigma, folk last week heralding his return and he was his usual woeful. Times up. I’d take 2.5m and save his colossal wage. 

There better be incomings. Like a striker or two. I’d take Jimmy Dunne, sounds like the right experience in the league. 

Sounds like the two new lads had good games for the under21s today, and Gilesnan grabbed a brace, so maybe some potential there.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

When the club has come out numerous times stating that they have absolutely no ambition, why would anyone want to stay here?

I don't necessarily disagree and I'm not saying that the problems we all complain about won't be motivating factors for someone to leave.

But, we could be absolutely flying and a Premier League club could still tempt Wharton. We could be promoted and next season a more established Premier League club (which Palace would be) could still tempt Wharton.

There are our problems. There are the realities of football. They may both play a part, but the realities of football will be far more of a factor. 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why?

It has happened many times before. Dunn eventually wanted away. Duff wasn't born and bred, but was very much Blackburn through-and-through until he very quickly wasn't. 

Even when the club is doing well, heads will be turned by bigger clubs.

Very good post. Off the top of my head the only players in recent(ISH) years who stayed when they probably could have played for a bigger club is Pedersen. Seem to recall there was an instance where he didn't renew until the last couple of months of his contract and so could have gone on a free. 

As the post highlights this happened when we were a top division side nevermind where our standing is now. Palace may be having a poor season but they're established in the prem and play young players. I'd be puzzled if any of our players didn't give a move to them serious thought and that's before wages are considered. 

As for Gally I can see why he would be frustrated if we haven't opened negotiations with him  - hardly the signal he's wanted. But he's likely in the Dack situation albeit he would play more when fit. Club probably considering if we can afford the highest earner to be unavailable so much. 

• Like 2

Adam Wharton is on a long contract so Rovers can play this long if we and the player want to.

However, the Indian Court delay probably is forcing a short term cash flow crisis with no certainty the decision will go in Venky's favour- probably will but no bankable proposition.

So do Rovers sweat it out to the summer when we might be forced into a sale by further delay in India gambling on Wharton staying fit and in form and there being competition to sign him to prevent a single PL club exploiting our vulnerability?

A club like Palace could be the best place for him to go- he is more certain to get PL game time immediately and if he is as good as we all think he is, we could get two dips- the immediate 20m+ transfer and the 10% share of the 100m-20m profit Palace get when he is sold on to one of the Manc clubs.

I am afraid to say it but Adam probably will be bidding his farewell against Wrexham.

The only upside is Rovers will be seen not only as an Academy youngsters will be desperate to come to but also those we have will want to battle through into the first team to improve their chances.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Fundamentally, if 75% of the money was to be reinvested in the playing staff, selling him is the right call (for the right fee) under the "trading model". We'd be much better served signing proper strikers/goalkeepers.

However, we know the whole amount will be pocketed to cover losses and just signal the further dismantling of our club as we continue the slow, painful slide to League 1.

The purpose for the model is not to reinvest most of it in the team and improve.

The purpose is to increase the club income making us less reliant on the owners putting money in. A move towards net zero, breaking even.

So if we sell a player for 20 million. 1 million goes to buying kids for the academy. Everyone moves up a rung. 19 million goes to the running of the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky said:

If we need a big target man I can’t see why we don’t cash in on Gallagher and go for Clarke-Harris from Peterborough. 

He’d offer as much if not more as Gallagher does imo. 

Genuinely don't think Rovers want a target man as such, they want someone to press front the front (size is just an added bonus).  Not sure Clarke-Harris offers anything like the type of work rate that is required and personally I see Dolan being the man chosen to lead the line if/when Gally leaves.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The purpose for the model is not to reinvest most of it in the team and improve.

The purpose is to increase the club income making us less reliant on the owners putting money in. A move towards net zero, breaking even.

So if we sell a player for 20 million. 1 million goes to buying kids for the academy. Everyone moves up a rung. 19 million goes to the running of the club.

A move towards league one.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Looks like it, but of course there aren’t many Adam Wharton’s, what happens when the next one off the conveyor belt is sold for £1million instead of £20million? Then 500k.

We are heading towards Crewe status… but with top level infrastructure.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Not sure there is any link between selling Wharton and the court case being delayed.

We need cash for wages. Hard cash, now.

Can't see that coming from a deal to sell Wharton. Probably installments, etc.

More likely the club will take out an emergency bridging loan. That is what they did last time when it was put back to October. Little choice really apart from deferring wages.

Selling Wharton or whoever else is a necessity to comply with FFP. We need to get circa £11million of sales into this year's accounts - so before June 30th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Would be nice too see our CEO putting in measures to improve long term income - rather than short term fixes like selling the training ground. We need more match day income and commercial income - but everything Waggot does seems to have opposite impact.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Not sure there is any link between selling Wharton and the court case being delayed.

We need cash for wages. Hard cash, now.

Can't see that coming from a deal to sell Wharton. Probably installments, etc.

More likely the club will take out an emergency bridging loan. That is what they did last time when it was put back to October. Little choice really apart from deferring wages.

Selling Wharton or whoever else is a necessity to comply with FFP. We need to get circa £11million of sales into this year's accounts - so before June 30th.

So why did we reject the 18.5m bid from Palace?

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don't necessarily disagree and I'm not saying that the problems we all complain about won't be motivating factors for someone to leave.

But, we could be absolutely flying and a Premier League club could still tempt Wharton. We could be promoted and next season a more established Premier League club (which Palace would be) could still tempt Wharton.

There are our problems. There are the realities of football. They may both play a part, but the realities of football will be far more of a factor. 

If he doesn't really want to go yet, which i suspect, but the club have little choice but to sell then that is is the reality of our mess not the reality of football.

I'd wager if it goes through that is the more likely deciding factor.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

As I mentioned earlier in thread we became masters at ''selling at the right time'' this is also what Brighton do (which we all look upon enviously) as do Brentford.

When is that magical time? You always know when its too late, see Dack, Brereton, Rothwell etc.

Really like Adam and he's shown flashes of huge potential, but

Case Study - Player X

13 goals in 18 for the under 18s, when just 15 years old.

Reserve Team debut at 15

Premier League debut at 16

Player of the match in the final of the FA Youth Cup at 16

Premier League loan at 17

Regular Premier League (top 4 club) starter at 18

England debut at 18, hailed ''the future''

Ankle fracture at 20

Club captain at 21

FA Cup winner at 23

Broken Leg at 24

Loaned out to get fitness at 25

44 games later, retired at 30

The career that was for Jack Wilshere.

There's absolutely no guarantees for Adam. I wish him all the best for his career, but he's assured of nothing, injuries, distractions off the field, loss of confidence. Its hard to be a footballer, its harder still to be one of the best in the Premier League.

If the money is right, and the money goes back into ensuring the model works, I'd sell.

That pathway also keeps the best young talent coming through the door at 8-12 years old. We show that when its time for you to move on, we wont stand in your way.

Very well thought out post. 

We will definitely sell though in my view... once a premier league club comes in for a Championship player with no hopes of promotion the clock is ticking. We won't be able to hold onto him for more than six months, absolutely no chance. So it's all about playing our cards right for the maximum fee.

I guess the question really boils down to sell now or sell in summer. In my view if someone hits £20M then we need to strike while the iron is hot. We have seen with Brereton that the valuations can drop off significantly. It's quite plausible that Wharton's relatively poor form at the moment for will continue to the summer. 

Personally now Crystal Palace have made such a big offer I will be absolutely amazed if he's still with us on 1st Feb, much as it pains me to say it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Very well thought out post. 

We will definitely sell though in my view... once a premier league club comes in for a Championship player with no hopes of promotion the clock is ticking. We won't be able to hold onto him for more than six months, absolutely no chance. So it's all about playing our cards right for the maximum fee.

I guess the question really boils down to sell now or sell in summer. In my view if someone hits £20M then we need to strike while the iron is hot. We have seen with Brereton that the valuations can drop off significantly. It's quite plausible that Wharton's relatively poor form at the moment for will continue to the summer. 

Personally now Crystal Palace have made such a big offer I will be absolutely amazed if he's still with us on 1st Feb, much as it pains me to say it.

Other clubs are interested though. They now know that bids start above £18.5M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's quite plausible that Wharton's relatively poor form at the moment for will continue to the summer. 

I think I've seen you (sorry if not!) mention his poor form a few times now - and I'm just not seeing it. He's playing well, he's so much better than everybody else that he plays at least 'well' pretty much every game, in the sense that he does a few things that nobody else could. And if any scouts were at the Watford home game just before Christmas they'd have been banging the door down as soon as the final whistle went. He was streets ahead of everybody else on the pitch.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What more twists and turns can we expect today lol.

In other news - banging the drum on this.

We have to start Gilsenen.

Have you seen much of him?

Often doesnt make the bench even when we are stretched for whatever reason.