BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Now the big clubs gets in to it as Palace mess with fees... Spurs, Newcastle and Chelsea all seems to want Wharton.

Applying the 3 club rule makes me wonder if any of them are actively seeking to sign him at all… 😉

Honestly think it is too early for the big clubs - more is demanded off the ball and I think we may end up keeping Adam as I don’t see 25m coming from anyone as it is now (unpopular opinion maybe)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Applying the 3 club rule makes me wonder if any of them are actively seeking to sign him at all… 😉

Honestly think it is too early for the big clubs - more is demanded off the ball and I think we may end up keeping Adam as I don’t see 25m coming from anyone as it is now (unpopular opinion maybe)

I agree, he’s not ready for the big time yet but he will be one day.

• Like 1

Nat Phillips - has to have taken a lot onboard at Liverpool, but there’s clearly something fundamental that’s stopped him being able to break into the first team or secure a deal elsewhere.

What is it? Wages? Potential fee? Mentality? Ability? Physical? Technical?

I don’t know, honestly.

We need a centre back to cover one of our senior players and - on paper - we’re taking a Premier League player on loan. Can’t knock that.

Even still, I wonder if the situation we find ourselves in in the league is the optimum for a player like this to come in.

Sincerely hope he hits the ground running.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Agreed, we also need a striker, we shouldn't have sold Kaminski (at least not for that pittance or with such a poor replacement) and I doubt we will use limited funds to rectify that mistake. But we were talking about what we should do, not what we will do.

We miss chances to kill games, so do all teams. But we have the league's top marksman. We have one of the league's worst set of goalkeeping options.

Furthermore, worth considering that a good striker will cost a lot more than a good goalkeeper, generally. Those limited funds aren't going to manage it. If we bring in a striker it's likely to be another Telalovic/Ennis type signing and I just don't see the point if that's the case.

Yeah, that's fair. If we're only going to be shopping in the bargain bin again for a striker, I'd rather we loaned in an experienced goalkeeper until the summer (then look to solve both issues then). However I'm trying to hold out hope that the potential loan signing of Phillips suggests that we're looking at a higher quality of player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gamst21 said:

I’d be happy if we sell Gallagher and bring in Yates. He’s been getting hurls of abuse at Swansea and I think a move back up north might do him good with a point to prove. 

Yates also has that shithouse mentality we lack uptop - Would be a great signing if it happen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Spot on

The truth is, we do not want Adam Wharton to move to a "destination club" where he will stay and play for the rest of his career.  We may be able to ask for more than 25M if that is the case, but probably not that much more at this stage or in the summer.

The ideal scenario is Dortmund, Brighton or similar (Palace will do at a stretch) for £25M and a healthy sell on fee, and then for him to move to a European giant in 2-3 years time for circa £100M

Palace won't do in any conversation. Know your history.

9 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

FFS! Have u ever played football? The minute your defenders start losing confidence in the keeper, they start making mistakes. They start trying to 'protect ' him, leading to mis-timed tackles, going for headers that the keeper should collect,  etc etc. Defence starts with the keeper, end of! (I used to be one, I know! If I lost form, the guys in front of me did daft things!)

In applying JDT's tactics better, we're much more open for teams to attack than last season. This further exposes our GK. Unfortunately I don't feel we've got that balance right between defending (we applied a block really effectively for large spells last season) and going for the throat of teams (where we often look good on the eye but waste quite a lot of good quality of chances).

I did say defensive unit, not individual players playing worse and making mistakes per se, although that's definitely part of it.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Apparently only good with someone up top with him.

View from the swans fans.

I think Szmodics would count as ‘with him’ in the roles they each play.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

FFS! Have u ever played football? The minute your defenders start losing confidence in the keeper, they start making mistakes. They start trying to 'protect ' him, leading to mis-timed tackles, going for headers that the keeper should collect,  etc etc. Defence starts with the keeper, end of! (I used to be one, I know! If I lost form, the guys in front of me did daft things!)

Regarding the arsey opener, yes lots and I continue to do so regularly. Very convenient that the defence was awful whenever you played poorly. It's almost as though our current goalkeepers could be thinking the same.. Doesn't mean it's true or that your opinion is any better than anyone's just because you played. See Joey Barton under arsey ex footballer. 

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, he’s not ready for the big time yet but he will be one day.

Disagree, think he’s handicapped here as he’s playing with players way below his level. He’s the type of player who needs to be playing with other players on his wavelength. Honestly don’t think he’ll be uncomfortable at any level even now.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

In applying JDT's tactics better, we're much more open for teams to attack than last season. This further exposes our GK. Unfortunately I don't feel we've got that balance right between defending (we applied a block really effectively for large spells last season) and going for the throat of teams (where we often look good on the eye but waste quite a lot of good quality of chances).

I did say defensive unit, not individual players playing worse and making mistakes per se, although that's definitely part of it.

I don't think that conceding in open play irrespective of how we play is the problem. Defensive set pieces has been the real Achilles Heel for me. Wahlstadt has been exposed more by crosses than any other aspect of his game, in fact in general his shot stopping is decent. I do believe though that the players are more jittery knowing that the opposition are going to exploit this and that his failings have a detrimental effect their confidence too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We're scoring. We're conceding. I know which one needs changing.

Pears isn't a decent Championship keeper, he's a decent backup Championship keeper.

I'd agree that signing a goalkeeper would be a priority if Wahlstedt was still in goal. He was so poor he could have seen us relegated.

I disagree with you on Pears. We've been treated to some fabulous goalkeepers over the years which affects our opinion. Pears is nowhere near that level, but he is lower championship quality. He'll make mistakes but the step up from Wahlstedt to him is enormous. 

Due to the complete lack of a competent backup he's actually one of our most important players, which shows how far the club have fallen.

• Like 1

Gally out for 2m, with Yates in on loan (loan to buy hopefully) is great business.

Gallagher, for all of his running around, is technically awful and terrible at using his physical advantages.

I genuinely see JRC, playing as a right-back, as a way bigger attacking threat than Gallagher.

Get it done 👍

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Gally out for 2m, with Yates in on loan (loan to buy hopefully) is great business.

Gallagher, for all of his running around, is technically awful and terrible at using his physical advantages.

I genuinely see JRC, playing as a right-back, as a way bigger attacking threat than Gallagher.

Get it done 👍

Only problem is Yates is hated by the Swans fans.

Can we not be more inventive with a ST signing?

Find it mad how in the summer we boasted about our opportunity for work permit signings, yet we've filled 1 spot? Or 2? Out of 4?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Only problem is Yates is hated by the Swans fans.

Can we not be more inventive with a ST signing?

Find it mad how in the summer we boasted about our opportunity for work permit signings, yet we've filled 1 spot? Or 2? Out of 4?

So what if Swans fans don't like Yates?

Pre leaving Blackpool fans certainly didn't hate him.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think Szmodics would count as ‘with him’ in the roles they each play.

Yeah, i see Szmodics as an ideal half of a classic little man big man combo.

Dont know much about Yates but hes 5ft 9 so would he be a bit too similar to Szmodics?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alex l said:

Spurs did nothing wrong and certainly nothing Rovers wouldn't do. They were told Phillips was available at a price they were happy to pay, if they waited until a certain date. If Rovers had the same opportunity but paid more just to get the player a few weeks earlier they'd rightly be slammed. 

As for not answering the phone to them, if they offer the highest bid and meet the valuation, why would you cut your nose off to spite your face?

Cos it's football and I'm petty. 

• Like 1