BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He was still signed under his watch ,I don't care what Waggott said if Broughton was that against signing Szmodic then he wouldn't have been signed.

Leo il give you because with the fee paid then someone better definitely could have come in and the decision to give Ennis 4 years was crazy but as a signing it was a punt that hasnt paid off ,he had a good season, Plymouth wanted to keep him and he had good pedigree as a younger player and he was free  .It will be Kimberly putting the players forward anyway tho not Broughton.Broughton isn't sat looking at players all day his remit is the whole football side contracts etc 

You can't have it both ways if you want the good ones under his name the others are to, similarly he is DoF and as you pointed out he is responsible for the whole football opp, so we can't cherry pick his remit.

It's all on his watch so he needs to employ better scouts going off the evidence, it's his recruitment team. The main model here now is youth, freebies and cheap punts and the 3 mentioned are crap to put it mildly.

Don't take my word for it look at the Head Coach and judge by his actions.

• Like 3

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Cooper is past it - he is not the answer, a friend of mine a Leeds fan advising stay well well away!

Anyone recommending Cooper automatically revokes their rights to criticising Broughton, or moan that we have a leaky defence on a match day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, booth said:

Broughton isn't perfect, but it's stuff like this that excuses the owners.

Broughton is a symptom of the owners he is yet another an incompetent chancer who talks a good game but in reality is well out of his depth.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You can't have it both ways if you want the good ones under his name the others are to, similarly he is DoF and as you pointed out he is responsible for the whole football opp, so we can't cherry pick his remit.

It's all on his watch so he needs to employ better scouts going off the evidence, it's his recruitment team. The main model here now is youth, freebies and cheap punts and the 3 mentioned are crap to put it mildly.

Don't take my word for it look at the Head Coach and judge by his actions.

I'm not trying to do that obviously Broughton will have the final say but it will be be Kimberly finding the shortlist of players that come within budget and then onto Broughton and JDT to decide who to pursue 

I'm not saying Broughton is doing brilliant and there has been some poor signings but there is no team in the league challenging for the playoffs with the budget that he has and no strikers banging them in that cost anywhere near as little as Telalovic 

But imo when 1 million + has been spent then the buys haven't been bad and 2+ excellent in Szmodic and lesser extent Hyam but a very solid signing. 

Wahlstedt very poor so far 

And Telalovic is a work in progress but he cost peanuts 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Other way round. People hate the owners so much they're reluctant to attribute any blame towards GB.

He gets plenty of blame on here and social media. Making him the scapegoat for all of our recruitment errors isn't helpful.

15 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Telalovic was a panic, last day of the window buy if ever there was one.

If you only have peanuts to spend you need a DOF or manager who is very savvy and well connected.

Gregg is taking random potshots and hoping for the best.

The most worrying aspect of it is the players he brings don't fit this Head coaches style as the main thing he demands of his fwds is run around a lot, press, track, work hard.

They either have different ideas or it's a bit of a box ticking job....... you want a good forward ?  Well we can't afford one but here's two cheaper ones for you to make players out of.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Broughton is a symptom of the owners he is yet another an incompetent chancer who talks a good game but in reality is well out of his depth.

At the moment I'd say it's 50/50. He signed the bloke that hopefully scores the goals to keep us up this season. On the other hand Wahlstedt was a massive mistake and is a big reason for our decline.

I can't blame him for the striker situation as he wanted to aim higher but his hands were tied by wankys.

Glad I decided to take Thursday off, I’d be getting fuck all done watching whatever crisis we manage to create for ourselves unfold. Fully expect a mad panic, end-of-day rush to get McGuire over the line as Orlando eventually buckle with minutes to spare to get him over.

I’m for the signing, with no major insight.

Telalovic could do with a League One loan this season and a full summer getting up to speed. U21s isn’t going to get him up to speed.

Ennis - tell him to come back in top condition for pre-season or find a new club.

Leonard - wanted to see him kick on this season and the opening day was full of promise. Needs a catalyst.

If Gallagher stays, he and McGuire are enough for this season, I think.

To be honest i am happy with Buckley decent player who needs focus. Wharton 22m very good fee for an unproven talent but who could go all the way. With the sale of Kaminski (2.5M), Wharton (22m), Raya(4/5M), Philips (2.2m), if we can ship out Gallagher that is over 30M of sales generate across the coming seasons. Just imagine had we were able to sale Rothwell, Diaz for the 5 and 7M respectively and we would be on a far cosier financial position on top of the investment that Venky's put in. No idea who this USA guy is. Young has a bag of goal could be interesting. I would like to see us sign Isaac Hayden, and ideally Callum O Hare who is at the end of his contract but no idea if it is at all posible. 

Sky sports are reporting weve agreed £22m (£18m + £4m addons). Personally I think thats a good deal for Wharton, HOWEVER were in a relegation scrap, a manager talking of too small a squad and we've loaned out our captain CM and sold our most promising CM. The dodgy Buckley is our for the season. All we've done is sign two kids on loan. The £18m is probably going to be too late in the day to re-invest properly this window (if we ever do). 

Were sleepwalking towards L1 here...

• Like 3

They will have known that Wharton is likely to be off for at least a week or two so surely we’ve been looking at options to bolster the midfield. We were already light after Travis going as Buckley isn’t going to be fit for a while. Surely we have some targets lined up and all but agreed subject to Wharton going. 

That’s what any sensible club would be doing anyway 

• Like 2

Its a brutal fact that for most of Rovers history post the removal of fixed wages we have been a selling club, pretty much the same as at least 80 others.  If you're in the Premier you can suspend the need for sales because of the obscene amounts of money there but we aren't.

Breaks my heart to see our young talent move on but my head tells me that this is the only sustainable business model we have.  The Venkys have been a big disappointment but they are still underwriting the losses and more importantly the Academy is still in production.

Players have a short life on the pitch so it is in their interests to go where they can earn the most money.  I'm not certain about Palace but I guess there is a chance Wharton will play there rather than sit on the bench.

We need some fresh bodies in and Financial rules in the EFL mean that our losses stop us getting anyone in without player trading.

47 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Again can you point me towards the strikers in this league of a decent standard that he could have signed with his budget?

It's not my job to but I would hope that had I brought in 3 centre forwards to the club they would have a better strike rate than 0 goals in 31 league appearances combined.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2