BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

On 16/10/2023 at 11:05, chaddyrovers said:

Basically its a deep layer playmaker/defensive midfielder with 2 box to box midfielders. 

Wahlstedt

Hill Carter Hyam Brittain

Tronstad

Szmodics Wharton

Moran               Sigurdsson

Leonard

When we are defending we are 4-1-4-1 and when we are attacking we are 3-2-4-1 with Brittain moving in centre midfield with Tronstad. 

IMO I don't think that formation is an accurate presentation of Szmodics to be honest - Szmodics plays right in behind the striker or up top. It's much more a 4231 - see the average positions below from QPR, Covernty and Leicester (Szmodics is number 8 ). 

I think I've only ever seen one game where Szmodics has played as a proper midfielder rather than a forward some time last season (can't remember who against but we played 352 with him on the right side of the three centre mids). Every other game he's always in the final third very rarely anywhere near the midfield.

Also not sure how Dolan or JRC get dropped after a very good performance at QPR.

image.png.fab77cbb51a1bdbda440d122be00cbd1.png

image.png.49d48a51171fc6ca92b145e5a2ba480e.png

image.png.52e330ad2f29c090fd0c52d3d3938309.png//

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Probably because hes scored his goals at B level at his former club in front of no fans.

Hope he isn't the new Joe Nuttall.

With Ennis and Leonard hopefully available for Saturday and Gallagher not too far away now, we can afford to be patient with Telalovic I feel.

Not easy to make that adjustment to championship football, but hopefully he has the tools to do that. If not, it wasn't an easy expensive mistake.  The other January signings and the impact they have had give me hope he will prove a good signing eventually 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

looking at those positional reports, that is a busy midfield against Coventry and Leicester. Interesting to see how we set up wider more structured back 5 against QPR. Signs that JDT has learnt from the high risk formations in other games, admittedly we were unfortunate against Coventry.

I don't quite follow what you mean by back five at QPR? looks like a standard sort of back four with the full backs pushed up and a sitting midfielder in front?

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't quite follow what you man by back five at QPR? looks like a standard sort of back four with the full backs pushed up and a sitting midfielder in front?

That is exactly how I saw it too.

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

With Ennis and Leonard hopefully available for Saturday and Gallagher not too far away now, we can afford to be patient with Telalovic I feel.

Not easy to make that adjustment to championship football, but hopefully he has the tools to do that. If not, it wasn't an easy expensive mistake.  The other January signings and the impact they have had give me hope he will prove a good signing eventually 

Gallagher is still at least a month away.

Leonard is promising but he is a young lad. Ennis seems a case of a player who either always has the quote "needs to get fit" or "needs to get up to speed" around his name, can we rely on him?

We needed to bring in a regular striker in the summer. Ennis looks a useful player but sadly is made of glass. We could do with Telalovic contributing now but he is clearly not ready. It's not on Broughton in that its just a desperate cheap late punt in the absence of a competitive budget.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher is still at least a month away.

Leonard is promising but he is a young lad. Ennis seems a case of a player who either always has the quote "needs to get fit" or "needs to get up to speed" around his name, can we rely on him?

We needed to bring in a regular striker in the summer. Ennis looks a useful player but sadly is made of glass. We could do with Telalovic contributing now but he is clearly not ready. It's not on Broughton in that its just a desperate cheap late punt in the absence of a competitive budget.

Leonard I am intrigued by. Some games he looks like he just isn't going to worry Championship defenders as neither quick or strong enough... but then I have also been impressed with his movement and he's scored a couple of goals. Really on the fence with him.  I like that he plays as a proper striker who wants to get in the box, covers the ground, seems able to link up play.

I am pretty sure we will start with Dolan up front on Saturday as he scored and had a good all round game. Then it's really up to one of Leonard, Ellis or even Telalovic coming on second half and looking the part. So we've got a lot of options, but no ones really grabbed it yet. But... I would hesitate to say all four of them will fail (Dolan, Leonard, Telalovic, Ennis). Based on our hit rate I feel like one of them at least will have a decent season in that striker role.

Edited by joey_big_nose

51 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Leonard I am intrigued by. Some games he looks like he just isn't going to worry Championship defenders as neither quick or strong enough... but then I have also been impressed with his movement and he's scored a couple of goals. Really on the fence with him.  I like that he plays as a proper striker who wants to get in the box, covers the ground, seems able to link up play.

I am pretty sure we will start with Dolan up front on Saturday as he scored and had a good all round game. Then it's really up to one of Leonard, Ellis or even Telalovic coming on second half and looking the part. So we've got a lot of options, but no ones really grabbed it yet. But... I would hesitate to say all four of them will fail (Dolan, Leonard, Telalovic, Ennis). Based on our hit rate I feel like one of them at least will have a decent season in that striker role.

Dolan has proven over time that he is not an effective striker in general, barring one or two occasional exceptions. Telalovic looks miles away unfortunately and understandably given where he has come from. And it is such a big ask to keep expecting Leonard to play repeatedly which is why he broke down before the internationals. He had never started a senior game before this season.

Ennis is the one who himself doesnt have a track record at this level but does look a level up but until he himself can prove to be durable then its of no use.

On 16/10/2023 at 15:07, Blow-in said:

Corey Evans played for us?

I knew he was on the books but I don't remember him actually playing 😄

He's a novice when compared with Vince Grella.

He - Grella - played so rarely that I don't know how anyone could identify him as even a midfielder.

1 hour ago, R0verb0y said:

He's a novice when compared with Vince Grella.

He - Grella - played so rarely that I don't know how anyone could identify him as even a midfielder.

Irony being, he was pretty decent in the few games he did play.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, bazza said:

I think Harry Leonard will make a good striker. From what I've seen of him he impresses me far more than Butterworth or Vale ever did. Give him more game time and he'll get better.

got a natural instinct in the penalty box  but needs to work on his hold up play,i`de have no concern on him starting,he`s likely to score goals,given the service,which is what we lack

the other two,vale and butterworth,vale has`nt featured at all for lincoln and butterworth has only made 3 appearances for carlisle,which vindicates what most people said,neither of them are good enough

12 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

got a natural instinct in the penalty box  but needs to work on his hold up play,i`de have no concern on him starting,he`s likely to score goals,given the service,which is what we lack

the other two,vale and butterworth,vale has`nt featured at all for lincoln and butterworth has only made 3 appearances for carlisle,which vindicates what most people said,neither of them are good enough

Vale is still injured I think, not that I expect him to have much of an impact there when he's back fit mind you.