BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

9 minutes ago, roverblue said:

The disappointing bit for Vale was that when he got a chance he just didnt put the effort in and seemed a bit lazy in terms of pressing or chasing back. He can still fix that but get the feeling he wont.

his lack of movement and generally demeanour was terrible,id`e have been running round like a maniac if id`e been given a chance of first team football

• Like 5

Went up to Hull last season, the game where Travis played right back. Vale came on and played a good chunk of the second half on the right wing. 

He was on our side of the pitch, and it was noticeable the work he put in to help protect the lead,he really put himself about and played well. 

I expected him to kick on from there, but as many before him, he failed to take the chance. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

Went up to Hull last season, the game where Travis played right back. Vale came on and played a good chunk of the second half on the right wing. 

He was on our side of the pitch, and it was noticeable the work he put in to help protect the lead,he really put himself about and played well. 

I expected him to kick on from there, but as many before him, he failed to take the chance. 

I never saw the laziness thing with Vale. He wasn't exactly Paul Dickov either, but the problem was that he wasn't nearly threatening enough. That's the top and tail of it for me. 

• Like 2

Vale played his part if a good few games last season doing the graft so i wouldn't call him lazy he was doing a job as instructed.

Trouble is other times when he was asked to play as a forward he looked lost he didn't seem to know when to drop/press or get into dangerous areas.

Just more of a manufactured forward rather than Leonard who seems to have that natural instinct.  Makes me wonder if Vale would be better in a different position at Championship level.

• Like 4

Home banker - Rovers in a canter by 2 or 3 clear goals.

We need to string a few wins together in order to be threatening the top 6 by Christmas.

Injuries clearing up so some good options.

Four recent big plusses for us:

Leo in goal portrays calmness and assurance - anyone still pining for Pears really does need to give their head a wobble.

Very much like Hill at rb - we look much more solid and can see him weighing in with a handful of goals with that shot he has in his locker.

Been advocating Brittain as rwb for weeks - think he's going to be some player there for us.

Now that Tronstad is up to speed, looks very good in that holding role and would now like to see Wharton pushed a bit further forward where his vision and passing can really hurt the opposition..

Onwards and upwards and upwards!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

his lack of movement and generally demeanour was terrible,id`e have been running round like a maniac if id`e been given a chance of first team football

My youngest son watches every Rovers game. Last season I asked him about Hirst. After a long pause he said “ Well, he’s better than Jack Vale.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Home banker - Rovers in a canter by 2 or 3 clear goals.

We need to string a few wins together in order to be threatening the top 6 by Christmas.

Injuries clearing up so some good options.

Four recent big plusses for us:

Leo in goal portrays calmness and assurance - anyone still pining for Pears really does need to give their head a wobble.

Very much like Hill at rb - we look much more solid and can see him weighing in with a handful of goals with that shot he has in his locker.

Been advocating Brittain as rwb for weeks - think he's going to be some player there for us.

Now that Tronstad is up to speed, looks very good in that holding role and would now like to see Wharton pushed a bit further forward where his vision and passing can really hurt the opposition..

Onwards and upwards and upwards!

Oh well........

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

With regard to the comments on Vale, I'm not opposing them but find criticism difficult after looking at Hirst at Ipswich.

I know what you mean - but I think the criticism of Vale and (in the main) Hirst was warranted at the time. It's the writing off of them prematurely which can come back to bite us, as we saw with Brereton before them. 

Having said that I'd be very surprised if Vale ever reaches the standard needed to make it at Rovers, but with a decent run at a lower level like Hirst, who knows?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

With regard to the comments on Vale, I'm not opposing them but find criticism difficult after looking at Hirst at Ipswich.

No real comparison as Hirst had pedigree a league below and re-found that the min he dropped back down.

Would Vale start banging them in for some half decent team a league below ?

Can't see it myself although i'm certainly not writing him off here.

• Like 1

Wahlstedt 

Hill Carter Hyam Brittain

Tronstad JRC

Markanday Szmodics Sigurdsson 

Dolan

Subs:- Hilton Pickering Wharton Wharton Travis Garrett Telalovic Ennis Bloxham 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wahlstedt 

Hill Carter Hyam Brittain

Tronstad JRC

Dolan Szmodics Sigurdsson 

Leonard 

Subs:- Hilton Pickering Wharton Wharton Travis Markanday Telalovic Ennis Bloxham 

JDT has already said Leonard won't be involved.

I imagine we will start as we did against QPR.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

------------------Wahlsted

Hill-------Carter-----Hyam-----Pickering

-------------JRC-------Tronstad

Brittain-------Szmodics--------Sigurdsson

--------------------Dolan

Whichever way round it was for Szmodics and Dolan last time out.

You got it right there. Dolan led the line and surprisingly well too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I think we're due a home win and am expecting a scrappy 2-1. It won't be anywhere near as easy as the cup game the other week.

Let's see if Tronstad really is 'up to speed' after managing one decent game thus far, and whether Dolan really can 'lead the line well'.

I disagree, I think we'll put on a bit of a show today. 4-1 home win.

Bloody hope so anyway, this international break seems to have taken an eternity to end so I hope it doesn't end in disappointment. 

• Like 1

Reading up on Cardiff it seems their new Turkish manager favours the cautious approach, lots of men behind the ball etc. 

If true, and they do take a safety-first approach, it might be a long afternoon of seeing us try to break them down. We aren't normally very good at that. First goal will be as important as ever.

Up front they have some good players - Karlem Grant, Meite (ex-Reading) and Josh Bowler. That's a good Championship forward line. Not sure Bowler's been playing much because they have young right winger called Tanner who looks decent. Watched them against Swansea and he came on and changed the game. 

Aaron Ramsey is out for a while so that will be a blow to them.

Their manager is also a bit of a taskmaster. He called out Callum Robinson and some other player in this week's  press conference for not pulling their weight.

JDT is hamstrung by again not having a fit striker (Telalovic notwithstanding). I'd be tempted to play Szmodics up front. I'd also play Wharton further up the pitch.  

-Wahlsted

Hill-------Carter-----Hyam-----Pickering

Tronstad

Markanday---JRC .... Wharton..... Sigurdsson

--Szmodics-

2-1 Rovers win. 

Att: 12800

• Like 2