BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers' last 7 managers ranked

Coyle would have to be bottom of any Rovers manager list since he who shall not be named. A disgrace that he was ever appointed. The reigns of Berg and Appleton were so short that I wouldn't include them, albeit almost certainly neither were going to work out. The club was still at its absolute lowest ebb then though.

After a spell of playing extremely dire football matched only by Appleton's last few games and not getting results either, I thought Lambert moulded a pretty poor squad into a decent enough, competitive Championship side. Once he decided to leave it went to pot again. I suppose looking at his record after leaving us, chances are we wouldn't have got any better. 4th is correct for him.

Not really a fan of either and both stayed on for too long, but you could definitely make a case for Bowyer above Mowbray. Didn't have the initial relegation, finished 8th and 9th in his full seasons (this was still underachieving though of course given the squad we had). Mowbray didn't match either of those until his last season. Even when Bowyer was rightly sacked, we were only in a very similar position to where Mowbray finished in 20/21 (so after 4 years in charge) and this was with a 30 goal striker, the pick of the PL loans in Harvey Elliott, and not being forced to sell anyone - complete contrast to Bowyer being forced to sell Cairney and Gestede etc in his final summer. But yeah, those two in a battle for 2nd sums the last 11 years up.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

I know these numbers don't necessarily tell the full picture, but here they are anyway:

image.png.342edfca45bf2b8bf1d418899ef8aeb4.png

Mowbray's figures are boosted by a year in League One. JDT is easily number one.

With the players at his disposal - you'd argue that Bowyer should have done better.

• Like 5

I think two questions would be revealing.

1 Name the worst 5 managers in Rovers' modern history.

2 How many of these were appointed after 2010?

In my time, only Iley and Ince would give the modern crew a run for their money.

One telling point is the number of Venky/agent appointments, who had little or no experience.

The one with the least experience was actually appointed in the Premier League-and to replace one of the most experienced managers in the country.

If anyone asks where we would be without Venky's!

• Like 5

I've gone a step further and put together every Rovers' manager of all time that has managed at least 10 games for the club.

Venky's appointments highlighted in yellow. The fact that they've managed to appoint 3 of the worst 6 (statistically when looking at win percentages) the club have ever had - suggests JDT was a fluke. 

All figures taken from Wiki. 

image.png.6ab8a98a6285bb7e174a1fe010468ec2.png

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think win percentage is a flawed basis to use, partly because it discounts draws, but it also obviously doesn't factor in the different situations, for example how they inherited us, the league we was in etc.

Completely agree. For instance - Hughes inherited a bit of a shambles. Parkes was generally coming in to take over a bad situation. 

I still find it interesting to see how the win percentages compare though. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think win percentage is a flawed basis to use, partly because it discounts draws, but it also obviously doesn't factor in the different situations, for example how they inherited us, the league we was in etc.

Particularly when you take into account the old 'two points for a win' system - a draw was a 'better' result in those days

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I know these numbers don't necessarily tell the full picture, but here they are anyway:

image.png.342edfca45bf2b8bf1d418899ef8aeb4.png

Mowbray's figures are boosted by a year in League One. JDT is easily number one.

With the players at his disposal - you'd argue that Bowyer should have done better.

Bowyer  , should certainly have done a lot better! 

Mowbray managed us for 267 games , which s a lot by modern standards...

Unlikely JDT will reign that long but if he does , I suspect he will be below Mowbray !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'm surprised Hodgson is so low down the list. I liked him as a manager. He has proved to be a good manager throughout his career.

Hodgson's win percentage up to Christmas Day in the 97/98 season was 54.5%. From then until he was sacked it dropped to 26.8%. 

The table at Christmas Day 1997:

image.png.3cd778d4ad38ed51bf54c3661457d597.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I've gone a step further and put together every Rovers' manager of all time that has managed at least 10 games for the club.

Venky's appointments highlighted in yellow. The fact that they've managed to appoint 3 of the worst 6 (statistically when looking at win percentages) the club have ever had - suggests JDT was a fluke. 

All figures taken from Wiki. 

image.png.6ab8a98a6285bb7e174a1fe010468ec2.png

Agree with others that win % doesn't tell the whole story but it's an interesting list none the less.

It's a bit poor that the 3rd best manager in the whole list will only take us to midtable in the championship.

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If it had been left to swag it would be 4 of 6. Credit Greg the egg for the jdt appointment. Will be interesting to see how his win percentage is when reaches Kendall total of matches. Just imagine what jdt would achieve if the owners actually backed him.

Edited by Rogerb
Text
  • Like 1

As much as I abhor Coyle and love Berg the player I have to admit Berg the manager was a car crash.

Appleton was a bore.

I'd describe Lambert as being all fur coat and no knickers.

Bowyer was okay, but as someone else said earlier, there's an argument he should have done better with the squad he had, at least before the fire-sale.

Mowbray outstayed his welcome but I guess stabilised us.

JDT - I like a lot but sadly, looks like we won't see him around long enough to complete the 'project'.

7. Berg

6. Coyle

5. Appleton

4. Lambert

3. Bowyer

2. Mowbray

1. JDT

Appleton is lucky to make 5 and I'm surprised to see Mowbray make no. 2 but I see it more of an indictment of the quality elsewhere on the list.

Just a list for my own satisfaction. I’ve been following Rovers since Don MacKay’s first play-off season. Here’s my ranking of managers since then, from worst to best:

Kean - Agent of Satan 

Coyle - Anyone fancy a doughnut?

Berg - Ouch!

Ince - Shoot!

Kidd - signed Jansen, otherwise an idiot

Appleton - Halloween everyday 

Lambert - No fool, but too dour

Harford - the greatest no.2 though

Bowyer - gave it a right good go

Mowbray - the lemon drizzle went stale 

Hodgson - Good at first, but not for Tim 

Parkes - 5 in midfield before its time

JDT - with potential to rise higher on list

Mackay - so, so near I cried

Allardyce - Did what he was hired to do

Hughes - Bellamy, Benni, Santa Cruz!

Souness - fell out with everyone though

Dalglish - Was it a dream?

Hope I’ve not missed anyone.

Edited by RoverInverness
Forgot Lambert!
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

Just a list for my own satisfaction. I’ve been following Rovers since Don MacKay’s first play-off season. Here’s my ranking of managers since then, from worst to best:

Kean - Agent of Satan 

Berg - Ouch!

Ince - Shoot!

Lambert…

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 15:26, LeftWinger said:

Hodgson's win percentage up to Christmas Day in the 97/98 season was 54.5%. From then until he was sacked it dropped to 26.8%. 

The table at Christmas Day 1997:

image.png.3cd778d4ad38ed51bf54c3661457d597.png

Yep, we were flying high under Hodgson until Sherwood, Sutton and company decided that 2 x training sessions per day wasn't going to fly.

Things went downhill from there.

Shame, he was ahead of his time in many ways, when he landed here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

Kean - Agent of Satan 

Berg - Ouch!

Ince - Shoot!

Lambert - No fool, but too dour

Take kean off there.

He is not, not should ever be considered a football manager.

Simply just a piece of shit.

• Like 6

On 30/10/2023 at 10:17, LeftWinger said:

Yes he should. Any team with internationals throughout and the forward option of Gestede, Rhodes and King should have reached the p layoffs minimum.

I will defend him in that he came the club had just gone through the Kean, Berg and Appleton fiasco and so he stabilised that. People praise Mowbray for stabilising the club but Bowyer did it better IMO. I know Coyle was a disaster for the club but Mowbray still had time to prevent relegation and failed before stabilising it.

• Like 1