BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (a) - 2/12/23

Today’s result is a typical rovers result but I’m not surprised - it’s the championship. Unfortunately this is how our season will go, win 2/3 loose 2/3….We are not a Ipswich or Leicester sadly, we don’t have the depth.

Our season will be decided on the January transfer window and what side of the clock the win 2, loose 3 falls on.

I’d say 11th there or there about, but maybe 8th if we finish strongly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

won 4 out of last 7. second best league form in last 6 games before today. I would say consistency is there

All things considered, I think we are doing as well, if not better, than can be expected.

However, it's absolutely clear that we are incapable of winning a match when the stakes go beyond just another three points.

Preston - a local derby, and today - the chance to break into the top six, the latest examples.

Under this (poor) ownership, this is our ceiling.

Anyone who believes otherwise will doubtless be leaving sherry and a mince pie out before retiring to bed on December 24th.

• Like 8

An absolutely incompetent refereeing display. I’m not generally one to slate officials, but not for the first time this season we’ve been the victims of an absolutely shambolic display. I’ve genuinely seen 16 year old kids and old men who can barely get out of the centre circle do better in Sunday leagues.

Can’t put it all down to the dire ref though, again we fell short when it came to anything remotely physical. Brittain was the worst culprit and is one of the softest players I’ve ever seen. I’d have hooked him for Garrett at half time. Moran is either very good or very poor, never be a solid 6/7 out of 10, either a 5 or an 8/9.

The injury list caught up with us today, but I’d have definitely given Garrett some minutes. Maybe even Montgomery or Duru too, as someone a bit fired up and over-exuberant wouldn’t have been the worst thing today.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, martonrover said:

All things considered, I think we are doing as well, if not better, than can be expected.

However, it's absolutely clear that we are incapable of winning a match when the stakes go beyond just another three points.

Preston - a local derby, and today - the chance to break into the top six, the latest examples.

Anyone who believes otherwise will doubtless be leaving sherry and a mince pie out before retiring to bed on December 24th.

Also to be expected when the average age of the starting 11 is in the early 20s. Big matches is where experience matters. Add to that the lack of depth to rotate players during a congested schedule and we’re bound to have results like today. FFS, look at the names to call in as subs today. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I’m have to agree, every time a real opportunity arises or the pressure is on, we never seem able to deliver. Any team on a horrific run or at the bottom of the league playing the Rovers, it feels like there is only ever one outcome.

• Like 4

Bad day at the office, can't be too harsh given the recent results and all the injuries we have currently. It's a big ask to be on it every time so things like today can happen. We never seemed to get fully going.

Credit to Sammie for getting yet another goal. The rest were quite average today, massive issues with the keeper which is a real worry, any half decent effort on target has a high probability of going in. 

• Like 1

A combination of things really.

Underinvestment, threadbare squad, injuries, the desire to play fairly, poor ref, a game too far.

Always going to get a game like this.

Given the circumstances, JDT is working miracles. Says a lot when such a benign character is sent off.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Bad day at the office, can't be too harsh given the recent results and all the injuries we have currently. It's a big ask to be on it every time so things like today can happen. We never seemed to get fully going.

Credit to Sammie for getting yet another goal. The rest were quite average today, massive issues with the keeper which is a real worry, any half decent effort on target has a high probability of going in. 

Opponents of the women's game always point to goalkeeping standards yet in the men's game goalkeepers makes bad mistakes all the time. It's not unusual across the board; the Birmingham keeper in midweek was dreadful. Goalkeeping standards IMO are generally worse than they used to be and many of those currently playing first team football wouldn't have got past the reserve team years ago. Wahlstedt is one of them

• Like 1

• Backroom

One minor positive today is that almost all of the teams directly around us came up short as well.

5th, 6th, 8th, 11th, 12th placed teams all lost. Sunderland in 9th drew. Could argue we had a massive opportunity to take advantage of the teams around us failing, but if you're going to take a positive outlook, we haven't lost any significant ground. 13th / 14th play tomorrow so at least one of those will drop points as well. Bristol in 13th could climb above us on account of GD if they win, but Norwich would have to win by at least four clear goals to go above us. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My team talk if I was the Sheff Wed manager before the game - “ Get stuck right into these, they’re a bunch of kids and they don’t like it up ‘em”. 

Being saying it for ages, we need 2 or 3 real scumbags in our team who can look after our 'kids' and kick the feck out of the opposition if need be.

Feck the purists and the dreamers (get off fantasy island and wake up and smell the coffee), you also need physicality and aggression to go with the skill, to get out of this league.

A feckin sickener today.  Rovers are like one big tease where the big moment never arrives.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My team talk if I was the Sheff Wed manager before the game - “ Get stuck right into these, they’re a bunch of kids and they don’t like it up ‘em”. 

The divisions whipping boys versus the little boys.

Pathetic how easily our team will be bullied. Grow some fucking bollocks the lot of them. 

When I was a kid I was always told, if someone hits you, you hit em back harder.

Weak as piss. Pathetic. Age is nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Opponents of the women's game always point to goalkeeping standards yet in the men's game goalkeepers makes bad mistakes all the time. It's not unusual across the board; the Birmingham keeper in midweek was dreadful. Goalkeeping standards IMO are generally worse than they used to be and many of those currently playing first team football wouldn't have got past the reserve team years ago. Wahlstedt is one of them

Agree, and don't think it's a case of revisionist history either. Keepers of today are of a very poor standard, I have been calling for more shots from our lads for that very reason. Test the keeper, look at Hill the other night, they have massive errors in them and it's always worth the gamble, if it doesn't go in you always have another chance they could spill it and you can get the rebound.

Wahlstedt has been very poor imo, I'd have Pears back in soon as he it fit and we all know he has his faults. 

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Being saying it for ages, we need 2 or 3 real scumbags in our team who can look after our 'kids' and kick the feck out of the opposition if need be.

Feck the purists and the dreamers (get off fantasy island and wake up and smell the coffee), you also need physicality and aggression to go with the skill, to get out of this league.

A feckin sickener today.  Rovers are like one big tease where the big moment never arrives.

We have needed a Sam Morsy type for years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Couldn't agree more. Think the tough and physical lads are dying out of the game and the ones that are left are probably out of our budget, used to be the luxury ones now it's the enforcers who are the rare commodity.