BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham Utd (h) - 1/1/24

9 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Too quick out the blocks, That tempo is not sustainable over 90 minutes. Similar to the game against Bristol city where we had it under control and puffed out around the hour Mark. Beautiful to watch at times, if only we can get that game management balance right. Telalovic again unlucky not to score but his link up play brought another dynamic to the game. I might get some stick for this but I feel we are only a few tweeks off something special. 

I agree, if we could replace our forward line on 60/70 mins with more energy we could stay on the front foot. Markanday no presence or pace and looked scared (garrett would have been better) ennis too slow, siggy and sammie had lost energy so we lost our press and dominance. Telalovic looking effective is certainly a bonus.

This tactic is great to watch but impossible with a depleted squad. Hate watching us play teams like Rotherham - suck the joy out of football.. watching Morrison walk over to take every throw in was painful.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DackDackGoose said:

I agree, if we could replace our forward line on 60/70 mins with more energy we could stay on the front foot. Markanday no presence or pace and looked scared (garrett would have been better) ennis too slow, siggy and sammie had lost energy so we lost our press and dominance. Telalovic looking effective is certainly a bonus.

This tactic is great to watch but impossible with a depleted squad. Hate watching us play teams like Rotherham - suck the joy out of football.. watching Morrison walk over to take every throw in was painful.

Missing dolan and JRC. This game like many recently show that 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we do end up in the drop zone this lot won’t get us out of it.

So so true. I’ve watched quite a few non league games this season where the defenders show more gumption than Rovers.
Not conceding, especially in the last 10 minutes is the way forward. The current style maybe pretty to watch but it’s not how to get out of the position we find ourselves in. 

• Like 2

I have never seen JDT look so disinterested, he is normally animated - not today.

Interesting that a group from Venkys India, including the new Director, have been over for the last few days taking in the game at Hull and the game today.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike Graham said:

I have never seen JDT look so disinterested, he is normally animated - not today.

Interesting that a group from Venkys India, including the new Director, have been over for the last few days taking in the game at Hull and the game today.

Interesting, which people are these? And what do you reckon for?

Thought we played well, scored a couple of good goals, controlled the game completely yet gave away two soft goals, and were lucky to not let in a third.

Our big problem is goals conceded - we have now in just over half a season conceded 48 in 26 games. Last season we conceded 54 in 46 games in total. 

But the way we go out and setup each game its like its not an issue. Its crackers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

I often see it said that we don't put our chances away - but we've scored 39 goals this season, which is on the higher end of teams up to 5th and we've actually scored more than WBA in 5th and Sunderland in 6th.

It's not being able to defend that's the problem, as evidenced by the 48 goals we've shipped, second only to our illustrious opponents today who have conceded 50. 

Having no dangerous strikers in the squad gives the opposition less to think about. They can commit players forward knowing that our forwards are pretty much inert. Especially when Ennis came on. Keep Szmodics quiet and that's half the job done.

Also today there were chances we should have put away before they got an equalizer.

If we played more defensively, there's no way we'd have scored that many goals. But it's also no surprise we can't defend. Zero experience, injuries to three first teamers and our fullbacks can attack but aren't great at defending. And then there's the issue with fitness and us grinding out the last 10-15 with the bench we have. We won't do it bringing on players like Markanday and Ennis.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Interesting, which people are these? And what do you reckon for?

Based on every other person Venkys have brought to the table, it’s fair to assume these new people are equally as useless and incapable.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Which game? 

The reason for asking is you seem to be an expert on current player fitness, something you’d only know about if you actually  attended games regularly in my opinion. Watching them tracking back against Watford especially was telling and the games are coming thick and fast.

It’s not the only reason the side is struggling, but it’s one major factor for me, these players are running on empty, the side is lacking quality too, due to the owners pulling the budget in the summer and we are where we are. 

Im surprised anyone is shocked to be frank.

Oh sorry you were trying to pull a "gotcha", quite pathetic really. The Preston game, before that the Cardiff game in October. I go quite frequently Gav and I watch every single minute of every game. I never said I was an expert did I? As I said, it's December, not March and people were saying this weeks ago. We could definitely do with players back, doesn't take an expert to know that but we aren't losing all these games because the poor lads are tired. You also get 5 subs a game. 

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Broughton has to go for me. The summer recruitment has been as bad as I can remember. Most of those signings are playing a division or two above their ability level. What a shocker.

He had no budget, they pulled all funds in the summer. He couldn’t even sign Bath on a free transfer from Sunderland, the experience we are crying out for.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, J*B said:

Based on every other person Venkys have brought to the table, it’s fair to assume these new people are equally as useless and incapable.

Unless they’re looking into flogging us then they can f*ck off too.

At my wit’s end with this club. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Broughton has to go for me. The summer recruitment has been as bad as I can remember. Most of those signings are playing a division or two above their ability level. What a shocker.

Is it really his fault if he's given barely a budget to work with?

Wahstedt is looking a painfully bad signing though. How many points has that one signing cost us now? Bit of an exaggeration but he spent the family silver to do it too.

• Like 2

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, booth said:

Having no dangerous strikers in the squad gives the opposition less to think about. They can commit players forward knowing that our forwards are pretty much inert. Especially when Ennis came on. Keep Szmodics quiet and that's half the job done.

Also today there were chances we should have put away before they got an equalizer.

If we played more defensively, there's no way we'd have scored that many goals. But it's also no surprise we can't defend. Zero experience, injuries to three first teamers and our fullbacks can attack but aren't great at defending. And then there's the issue with fitness and us grinding out the last 10-15 with the bench we have. We won't do it bringing on players like Markanday and Ennis.

Based on the amount we've scored and the best I would expect us to achieve with the current squad (mid-table), I think we can afford to score less. We don't need to score more than WBA or Sunderland, we just need to defend better. A few clean sheets and 1-0 wins are what is required, not gung ho football where we concede two or three every game. At this point it's got to stop, because we are in free fall and it isn't realistic to expect us to score 3 or 4 goals per game just to win. 

I don't blame JDT as he was not brought in to get a poor team to play defensive football to grind out wins. That is the position we've been left in thanks to the owners, though, and I don't see where JDT fits into that reality as he isn't suited for what we now require. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mike Graham said:

Have they?? Wtf are they doing. They need to sell up 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

would anyone take JDT gone tonight and Tony back till end of the season?

we are looking utter utter trash and nailed on for going down the way we are playing 

Is it April the 1st already?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Fair assessment.  It’s easy to blame Venkys, but they pump in £millions (no one else is willing to step in and replace that money), but if it is spent on dross what can we expect?

And what makes you think there would be no one willing to take on the honour of owning a world famous football club ?

Broughton has been here 2 years Venky's have been here 13 years. It's easy to blame them because they, and nobody else,,are to blame

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

would anyone take JDT gone tonight and Tony back till end of the season?

we are looking utter utter trash and nailed on for going down the way we are playing 

What's this nonsense.

• Like 1