BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham Utd (h) - 1/1/24

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Szmodics - 100% absolutely, even at 28. He's the top scorer in the league for f sake. We could get more than couple of mil we payed for him, undoubtedly.

i Get your point though.

Sammie should be on to his agent tonight trying to get somebody to test this skint clubs mettle. He like us,  witnessed what happened to Dack when he didn't move when the going was good. We are stuck with this club, the players aren't.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Missed out on the play offs to the Premier League on goal difference. 

What’s the response?

Normal club? One more heave!

Here? Slash the budget and tell the media that the club is happy to just stay out of the third division.

What’s the point of any of this?

Waggot saying that pre-season post renewal it left a real sour taste in the mouth. Then after his candid interview with Glenn I am just left with the feeling that the club is rudderless and us paying fans are of no importance.

it now also looks rudderless on the pitch which just leaves you thinking exactly as you say “what is the point?”

Why pay £400 of our hard earned cash? I don’t intend to renew again come summer and would wager there will be plenty others.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Absolutely spot on, a manager with the bollox to call it out too and not interested in protecting his own interests. 

👍

Sounds like he is protecting his reputation. Not my fault gov they fucked me over. Gis a job?

Although todays result is disappointing, this cannot come as a surprise to anyone. No real investment in years and although seeing a number of academy graduates come through, they need help. 

The JDT situation is a tricky one. I rate him, he’s clearly coached the team really well, there is a marked difference in our approach play however, it poses a few questions:

a) Does he need more time? We’re not finishing our chances but with a young squad, the decision making is always the one facet of game that takes time to develop. Is there an argument that with experience, things will click into place?

b) Is he simply not the right fit given the (limited) resources we have at our disposal? They’re are clearly players that aren’t comfortable playing this way and I am concerned he has continued to persist with this attacking style of football and this to me shows a lack of nouse, understanding of the player limitations and league itself.  

Regardless of our hypothesis, there’s been very little investment and when you get a DoF in the building with our budget, the margins are very fine. Egg would pretty much have to get every signing spot on with maybe small degree of tolerance. But most signings have been extremely underwhelming and not very successful and that really concerns me, want can’t afford to piss money down the drain like that. Szmodics and Hyam are probably the only decent signings we’ve made. Wahlstedt is horrific business, he’s awful. 

But our squad is and budget is closely aligned with our current league position so this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. We massively overachieved last season and until we get more investment, we’ll continue to be mid-low table fodder which is a massive shame. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Waggot saying that pre-season post renewal it left a real sour taste in the mouth. Then after his candid interview with Glenn I am just left with the feeling that the club is rudderless and us paying fans are of no importance.

it now also looks rudderless on the pitch which just leaves you thinking exactly as you say “what is the point?”

Why pay £400 of our hard earned cash? I don’t intend to renew again come summer and would wager there will be plenty others.

Now we know why they really did the oh so generous 20 quid early bird right out of the blue.

• Like 1

On the one hand bringing in JDT and Broughton showed a bit of ambition and a plan. But at the same time slashing the budget and saying the target is staying up undercut it...

Organisationally the club is all over the place and thats down to the lack of engagement and clarity from the owners. We ned to get rid of them but that is not happening soon.

At the same time this team has a lot of decent players and should not be shipping goals at the crazy rate we are.

JDT and coaches can do more defensively with the resources they have. Its not sufficient to just say "we don't have experience". 

• Like 4

Just completely baffled to what direction the club is going. Senior management are not in agreement and instructions from pune are non existent. We need to sell to buy, we all know this. JDT making endless noises which he is in his right but rocking the apple cart (And so it should) us fans want the manager to ask questions but the way he is doing it will not get him what he wants. Can't see him signing a new contract, So there's only 18 months left unless sacked or /walks. If we were to receive a nice chunk in transfer fees by selling assets is it worth giving him the funds? Would that get him to sign on further or has the damage already been done. I find it funny how Siggy only signed on till the end of JDTs reign but that maybe myself looking too deep. Club captains in limbo, the problems go on. I like JDT but just can't see any positives in this situation 

Looks like agents, money men, journeymen admin people and club apparatchiks are circling to either make money or save their mediocrity.

If JDT goes, we will almost certainly get some no-hoper or Waggot yes-man and the mediocrity circus would continue.

Save your ire for lunes in Pune.

Or look at it another way. So you get in someone who is more pragmatic –tougher (all Neandethals love that word). With these players? No chance. And if that type of manager goes into the transfer market for the ‘old pros’, ‘tougher’ types, given the budget on the bone, they would simply attract dolloper journeymen who have done the rounds and we would still end up as mid table/bottom half mediocrities.

Or for those who want to play a more ‘pragmatic style.’ With these players? Really?

All roads lead to management above JDT and India as SuperBrfc stated (Club is finished until there is a complete overhaul at the top)

On the possible sacking of JDT. Surely not. It would cost V’s money 😉

On Travis, I strongly suspect that his lack of game time is due to the fact that he is needed to be sold before we can buy anybody else. Ie funds are nil without outgoings.

A couple of other points:-

1.      Given that we haven’t a pot to piss in , it is criminal that the club can’t even get its act together to profit from players outgoing

2.      Given that we haven’t a pot to piss in, would you rather have owners who don’t care and are clueless about football or owners who care and have the club’s interests at heart?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

On the one hand bringing in JDT and Broughton showed a bit of ambition and a plan. But at the same time slashing the budget and saying the target is staying up undercut it...

Organisationally the club is all over the place and thats down to the lack of engagement and clarity from the owners. We ned to get rid of them but that is not happening soon.

At the same time this team has a lot of decent players and should not be shipping goals at the crazy rate we are.

JDT and coaches can do more defensively with the resources they have. Its not sufficient to just say "we don't have experience". 

It's not just experience, it's also injuries and poor players. Currently we have a poor defence.

With a fit Hyam and JRC we'd be doing better but would still have frailties. It'd be easier to carry some of the poorer players if there was more quality alongside them. If we'd have added Danny Baath and decent fullback we'd have actually had a good defence for the first time in a while. And of course a decent goalie, we'd be 2 points better of after today's match if we had.

14 minutes ago, corb691 said:

Although todays result is disappointing, this cannot come as a surprise to anyone. No real investment in years and although seeing a number of academy graduates come through, they need help. 

The JDT situation is a tricky one. I rate him, he’s clearly coached the team really well, there is a marked difference in our approach play however, it poses a few questions:

a) Does he need more time? We’re not finishing our chances but with a young squad, the decision making is always the one facet of game that takes time to develop. Is there an argument that with experience, things will click into place?

b) Is he simply not the right fit given the (limited) resources we have at our disposal? They’re are clearly players that aren’t comfortable playing this way and I am concerned he has continued to persist with this attacking style of football and this to me shows a lack of nouse, understanding of the player limitations and league itself.  

Regardless of our hypothesis, there’s been very little investment and when you get a DoF in the building with our budget, the margins are very fine. Egg would pretty much have to get every signing spot on with maybe small degree of tolerance. But most signings have been extremely underwhelming and not very successful and that really concerns me, want can’t afford to piss money down the drain like that. Szmodics and Hyam are probably the only decent signings we’ve made. Wahlstedt is horrific business, he’s awful. 

But our squad is and budget is closely aligned with our current league position so this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. We massively overachieved last season and until we get more investment, we’ll continue to be mid-low table fodder which is a massive shame. 

Tronsted ?

My thoughts it is 2 points down and not a good enough performance defensive and we failed to score our chances. After the first 30 mins we dominated the game and should have been out of sight. Played some good attacking football. Scored a good goal and had a number of other good chances to make it 2 and 3 nil but we didn't. For their goal it is poor keeping from Wahlstedt and our defenders. We knew that from Set Pieces they would be threat but we couldn't deal with it. 

After half time, JDT sent them out early and its shown very quickly what JDT's team talk was with in the first minute we scored and Szmodics took his goal so well. We created other options but failed to take them. Rotherham got a goal from us simply not doing enough to block the cross and our inability to defend a simple ball in from them. Not good enough. 

Telalovic continue to impress and played well. Szmodics and Sigurdsson took their goal well. Hill did well but I didn't understand JDT taking Telalovic or Moran off for Ennis and Markanday who either impress me to be honest again. Ennis doesn't work hard for me. I would have bought on leonard for Telalovic if he needed to come off. Garrett or Glisenan instead of Markanday or even Gamble with Brittain moving to right wing. 

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Our coaches aren’t good enough. Let’s take Ben Benson as the most obvious example - without even going into his lack of experience, he is in charge of goalkeepers and set pieces. We are terrible at defending set pieces, particularly our goalkeeper, and the only time we score from a set piece is when Adam Wharton puts a corner on his brother’s head. Our entire coaching set up is cobbled together, inherited and no doubt cheap. Questions have to be asked about our injury problems too.

I would bring in Mike Sheron or Ryan Kidd to take over in charge of set pieces. Benson doing it isn't working and his focus should be improving and working with Wahlstedt improving his catching and taking charge of his box

Our loans are invariably more young players when we are bereft of any nouse and experience. And most of the young lads coming through aren’t trusted to get a kick even when we are stretched to the limit.

Are you liking to get good experience players on loan

Perhaps it would’ve been different if we hadn’t had the budget debacle this summer, but I’m not sure. 

It would have been interesting to see who we would have signed or could have signed without the budget debacle 

What the hell is Damien Johnson doing these days? I know he's still at the club and part of the coaching staff but FFS I thought he would have gone to another club by now to try his hand at management. Maybe he's content to be paid and sit with his bum in the butter.

Szmodics was knackered for that last 20 minutes. In the minutes before the equaliser he couldn’t close down and lost the ball a couple of times. We talk about tiredness and fatigue. He should have been taken off.

How we end up looking completely leggy at the end (as against Preston and Watford) and yet Garrett and Travis don’t get on is baffling.

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, bazza said:

What the hell is Damien Johnson doing these days? I know he's still at the club and part of the coaching staff but FFS I thought he would have gone to another club by now to try his hand at management. Maybe he's content to be paid and sit with his bum in the butter.

I always seem to see him in Clitheroe Sainsbury’s, you want me to have a word?!

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

I always seem to see him in Clitheroe Sainsbury’s, you want me to have a word?!

Yes please. And let me know what he says and thinks. Ta.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, booth said:

And rightly so, they have fucked him over.

Sorry I wasn't really critising, but I don't believe for a second JDT thinks anything will be made available I think he is done and is saving his reputation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Disappointment is the overriding emotion this afternoon when, not for the first time we didn't convert enough of the good chances and our current Achilles heel of weak defending hit us hard. The big lump of Eaves up front for them was a real handful and his aerial prowess was supplemented by Hugill later on as Rotherham's only real threat earned them a draw. I was happy with our overall play and the pace at which we played and we were well on top for long periods but at the back of my mind was the fact that Rotherham had clearly seen our main weakness and looked to exploit it. Their first goal is once again down to the ineptitude of our keeper which is now getting beyond a joke. It's at least a goal a game he is giving away and it's really hurting us. Their second came from Pickering and Sigurdsson simply not doing enough to stop the cross particularly as Rotherham had their two lumps on by this time. So, so disappointing. There were several good performances though and our play sometimes is so easy on the eye but until we really address our glaring deficiencies we will continue to shop cheap goals.

Decent summary and I agree with most of it. I have to disagree with the pace we played the game at however. It was too slow predictable and was walking pace for most of the game, the lack of movement was ridiculous. Our style of play requires non stop movement and options.

The times the midfield had to pass it back due to there being no options was outrageous.

3 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Sorry I wasn't really critising, but I don't believe for a second JDT thinks anything will be made available I think he is done and is saving his reputation.

He's trying to get himself sacked.

11 minutes ago, bazza said:

Or he doesn't want to be first team manager but happy being a coach of a team

4 minutes ago, bazza said:

He's trying to get himself sacked.

He’s been calling out and taking the piss out of the CEO all season. There’s no consequences for anything here, so no chance that him (rightly) continuing to spout off to the media will lead to anything at this rudderless ship.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Graham said:

I have never seen JDT look so disinterested, he is normally animated - not today.

Interesting that a group from Venkys India, including the new Director, have been over for the last few days taking in the game at Hull and the game today.

Hopefully he will see this squad need help with new signings asap. 

3 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Broughton has to go for me. The summer recruitment has been as bad as I can remember. Most of those signings are playing a division or two above their ability level. What a shocker.

Tronstad, Sigurdsson Hill and Moran all have added quality to this squad. Telalovic is starting to shown his worth. 

I think your criticism of GB is wrong. 

• Like 1