BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

16 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

More than happy to give Eustace time to work with the players in the pre-season.   That's the least he deserves.  I believe he inherited a complete shambles that was left by the previous head coach and that will take time to sort out.  Even if we went down, and I still believe we won't, I would stick with him.  

I do think people are on his case extremely quickly PB. Probably because they liked JDT so much and also because he is perceived as a Waggott appointment.

However JDT walked out because understandably he felt he couldn't work under the owners or with this "management" team any longer. Eustace has to work under the same conditions and what can you really do when you're provided in the transfer window with players like Fleck, Mcfadzean and a young centre back who apparently can't be trusted. And have to rely on forward options like Gallagher and Telalovic and goalkeepers like Pears and Wahlstedt.

All that said as Matty pointed out it's a results business and if he fails in his task of keeping us up I haven't seen too much from him or our performances YET to suggest he'd be the man to take us forward IF we went down.

Needs to keep us up and start with a clean slate from there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If people wanted to sell one of our star players to our main rivals for automatic promotion at the time - more fool them. The fact that our so called manager wanted to do the same tells you all need to know  about his "ambition."

Similarly Brereton. We could have sold him at a ridiculously low price but he was our top scorer wirh 14 goals the following season and we ended up missing out on the play offs by goal difference. Fine margins and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

None of these problems would have arisen in the first place had Mowbray and Waggott tied them all down when they should have. I'm not rewriting history at all.

Eh??? 

You wrongly accused him of not wanting to sell them , now you're accusing him of lacking ambition because he wanted to sell them. 

Let it go, whichever way you look at it we've fallen off a cliff this last 6 months. Blame Venkys, Broughton Tomasson or all 3,but It really has nothing to do with Mowbray. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Personally I'm glad there's this zero excuse culture. Because if that's what a zero excuse culture looks like, I can only imagine am excuse culture involves the team rolling around on the floor pincjing the grass, crying "its not fair!" Mind you I can see Brittain doing that anyway... 

I'm not too offended by his "managerspeak" the way he paints a rosy picture in public is obviously  his attempt at man management and the way he has decided to go about keeping the players onside.

Personally I'd rather he took the approach of Gary Rowett who has only been at Birmingham 2 minutes and told his players some home truths yesterday after their defeat at QPR. He basically said they were a talented group but had to be more professional at key moments and in certain situations.

I think that sort of honest appraisal comes over a lot better to the supporters but at the end of the day it's results on the board that count. We'll know if the softly softly approach has worked by the end of the season.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

It’s already been pointed out that playing 5 at the back V Millwall and Plymouth at home was a mistake. Looking at what was happening in the first half V Plymouth and bearing in mind we were 1-0 up at half time, a competent manager, would have changed it.

Had we won one of those games, the pressure would be an awful lot less than it currently is, but the manager decided to announce it was not a must win game, before the Millwall draw. That’s the crux for me, it’s try not to lose instead of go for the jugular especially in those two games.

To still be winless after 10 tells me we have appointed a dud. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

but the manager decided to announce it was not a must win game, before the Millwall draw. That’s the crux for me, it’s try not to lose instead of go for the jugular especially in those two games.

That was probably ill advised but technically he was correct and again I think he was trying to take some pressure off the players.

49 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm not blaming him as such, but the outcome is the outcome, he left us in a mess and it's Eustace's job to try to keep us up. 

He'll do well if he does. 

How did he leave us in a mess? Yes obviously, the points tally. But Eustace has everything else. Players available that weren’t available to JDT, players supposedly happier and willing to play for a new manager because they didn’t like the old one, players who are capable of a passing game because JDT coached them well. So all should be set fair and yet he can’t muster a single win.

The blame it on JDT narrative is weak and smacks of club PR to divert attention from appalling management for the Raos, SWAG anda Suhail.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, ABBEY said:

But he must of known what venkyscum are all about

He'd probably never heard of them, but I'm sure he did some homework before accepting the job, but in football, as in any industry, you take things at face value. He was promised of funds and full control, those promises were quickly renegaded upon and the rest of history.

I respect the guy for walking, just as I did with Lambert, you tell lies to the manager and you get what you deserve.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gav said:

He'd probably never heard of them, but I'm sure he did some homework before accepting the job, but in football, as in any industry, you take things at face value. He was promised of funds and full control, those promises were quickly renegaded upon and the rest of history.

I respect the guy for walking, just as I did with Lambert, you tell lies to the manager and you get what you deserve.

He must have had some idea of what a shambles we were on and off the pitch but maybe Nixon was right for once  when he said "Managers like working".

They also imo generally have large egos and a healthy amount of faith in their own ability to turn situations round. 

Would be interesting to know at this stage if Eustace privately thinks he's made a mistake. I suppose from his point of view the worst that can happen is he gets sacked, most of the shit sticks to Venky's, he gets paid off and away he goes again on the managerial merry-go-round.

58 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If people wanted to sell one of our star players to our main rivals for automatic promotion at the time - more fool them. The fact that our so called manager wanted to do the same tells you all need to know  about his "ambition."

Similarly Brereton. We could have sold him at a ridiculously low price but he was our top scorer wirh 14 goals the following season and we ended up missing out on the play offs by goal difference. Fine margins and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

None of these problems would have arisen in the first place had Mowbray and Waggott tied them all down when they should have. I'm not rewriting history at all.

How many wanted Rothwell selling to Bournemouth at the time ? The board would have erupted. Ditto selling Brererton when he was having his purple patch. Not many on here said let’s sell at the time. Let’s have it right.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He must have had some idea of what a shambles we were on and off the pitch but maybe Nixon was right for once  when he said "Managers like working".

They also imo generally have large egos and a healthy amount of faith in their own ability to turn situations round. 

Would be interesting to know at this stage if Eustace privately thinks he's made a mistake. I suppose from his point of view the worst that can happen is he gets sacked, most of the shit sticks to Venky's, he gets paid off and away he goes again on the managerial merry-go-round.

Exactly what I was saying when he first arrived. It's a free hit for him given what a total shit show this place is.

I just think he's a bullshitter and has been incredibly disrespectful towards the previous head coach.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree with Nixon for once! 

I heard Troy Deeney saying yesterday that Eustace knows this is a massive uphill task, that is why he took the job.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many wanted Rothwell selling to Bournemouth at the time ? The board would have erupted. Ditto selling Brererton when he was having his purple patch. Not many on here said let’s sell at the time. Let’s have it right.

Who cares what this board thinks?

Let the manager manage, he should have been allowed to sell Rothwell when he wanted to, its as simple as that.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apart from Adam Wharton which I think shouldn't be underestimated.

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was the crucial mistake. Most of our attacking creativity went out the door with him. 

Letting Travis go and then letting Wharton go is they key moment this season for me. That was just stupidity.

However with all the JDT bashing going on, let's not forget JDT hardly picked Wharton till towards the end of last season. We spent most of the time in the top spots picking from a midfield of Travis, Buckley and Morton. As everyone keeps telling me Tronstadt is levels above Travis, the loss of Wharton shouldn't be an excuse for no wins in 10 (against relatively easy opposition) by Eustace. 

@aletheia has nailed it above. JDT had to go as he'd "lost" the dressing room, but he achieved far more with this group of players than Eustace currently is. People unfairly blamed Mowbray for relegation, but if we go down this season it's heavily on Eustace.

Edited by Hasta

I never get this ‘the message board would’ve gone mad’?

Yes a few dozen folk on here would’ve moaned.

And? You can’t cry poverty when you let tens of millions walk out the door for nowt.

• Like 3

I personally wouldn't have complained at selling Rothwell or Brereton when it was clear neither were signing new contracts IF the money was used to replace them,

Unfortunately the very reason they weren't signing new contracts, why virtually nobody other than academy graduates on their first professional deals have signed extensions, is that the club has systematically and rapidly reduced the wage bill.

So I doubt they were even offered sensible terms, or if they were they were never going to sign them as they simply weren't competitive for the standard of player in question. 

And for the same reason we were never, ever, ever, going to see the money reinvested, which is why the McGuire and O'Brien stunts were little more than con jobs orchestrated by liars. Serious money was never changing hands.

• Like 6

Eustace should be sacked immediately.

Don't come in and say this squad is fantastic (regardless of Morale boosting) and then NOT EVEN WIN 1 GAME.

First 45 mins v Ipswich were embarrassing. Pundits on talksport yesterday ripped into our setup for the game.

You've had all international break and it's still rubbish.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And for the same reason we were never, ever, ever, going to see the money reinvested, which is why the McGuire and O'Brien stunts were little more than con jobs orchestrated by liars. Serious money was never changing hands.

I can't believe more wasn't made of the fact that after initially negotiating a reasonable sounding permanent fee of £2.5 m for Mcguire GB then agreed to an option to purchase of around £7m Euros  as part of the proposed loan deal. Which obviously would never be exercised. (Was it not £5m for Hirst as well?)

Proving that far from being an innocent victim in all this Broughton is fully compliant and up to his neck in the whole charade.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Eustace should be sacked immediately.

Don't come in and say this squad is fantastic (regardless of Morale boosting) and then NOT EVEN WIN 1 GAME.

First 45 mins v Ipswich were embarrassing. Pundits on talksport yesterday ripped into our setup for the game.

You've had all international break and it's still rubbish.

It's a total embarrassment.

No win in 10 games and our 'soft boys' don't look like winning.

I think Eusless spouts cliche ridden bullsh1t and EXCUSES!!!

In that ridiculous cap he insists on wearing, I think the guy strikes an uncanny resemblance to Kean and we know what most fans thought of his incapabilities!

Fortunately, I think we will escape relegation by the skin of our teeth given teams below us seem equally, if not more so, inept.

Whether we stay up or go down, Eusless needed firing.  I've seen absolutely nothing to suggests he offers Rovers a brighter future.  A total dud, IMO.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I personally wouldn't have complained at selling Rothwell or Brereton when it was clear neither were signing new contracts IF the money was used to replace them,

Unfortunately the very reason they weren't signing new contracts, why virtually nobody other than academy graduates on their first professional deals have signed extensions, is that the club has systematically and rapidly reduced the wage bill.

So I doubt they were even offered sensible terms, or if they were they were never going to sign them as they simply weren't competitive for the standard of player in question. 

I have never wanted to keep unhappy players particularly when they are nearing the end of their contracts. For all his failings Mowbray was right about Rothwell and Brereton who added very little to the club in their last six months. For the idiots to turn down good money for the was stupidity of the highest order. In a similar vein I wasn't disappointed to see Travis to after his displeasure at not playing was made public. The real idiocy about this was letting him go out on loan rather than selling him.

• Like 2

I believe that we wont win again this season but still manage to stay up by a point or two due to some draws.

I think there is something really nasty in the mentality of this squad.

I believe 100% that they downed tools to help get jdt out, brittain also got himself sent off. They will turn on Eustace in a second if they get the chance.

Get rid of them all

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not too offended by his "managerspeak" the way he paints a rosy picture in public is obviously  his attempt at man management and the way he has decided to go about keeping the players onside.

Personally I'd rather he took the approach of Gary Rowett who has only been at Birmingham 2 minutes and told his players some home truths yesterday after their defeat at QPR. He basically said they were a talented group but had to be more professional at key moments and in certain situations.

I think that sort of honest appraisal comes over a lot better to the supporters but at the end of the day it's results on the board that count. We'll know if the softly softly approach has worked by the end of the season.

At a club like ours, where real success is impossible with the current set up, and given how badly.we have been burned by management stooges before - words take on even more importance. 

Likewise prefer a Rowett approach and my issue is with the everything rosey is that you can still protect the players and not criticise them without coming across delusional. 

Agree with the overall point that results matter more, but those aren't coming either. At this point it looks like we will stay up more because of others inability rather than any talent of the manager or squad. Really worried that we've hired an utter dud.