BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (a) - 17/02/2024

Another poor performance but it could be a valuable point in the end. It's still early days but is Eustace's football philosophy to just park the bus and hoof it and pray? Surely there's a middle ground between this and what was before?

The players looked exhausted in the second half but considering our weak bench I can see why Eustace would be scared to make more changes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Take a point but another disappointing performance.

We are very much in a relegation fight if we carry on like this.

Need to win our home games because away we look awful.

We're not much better at home.

I don't know if this is the style of football Eustace wants to play long-term or he's just adapting to the players he's got at his disposal, but it's clearly going to be a scrap every game until the end of the season to accumulate enough points to survive. 

1 minute ago, Inferi said:

It's still early days but is Eustace's football philosophy to just park the bus and hoof it and pray? Surely there's a middle ground between this and what was before?

he mentioned in his interviews this week wanting to maintain the tidy play but amalgamate it into something a bit more mixed and pragmatic. hopefully that comes next once we've a foundation to work from that isn't just "get points however possible"

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Its obvious in this 343 the partner for Tronstad at CM is a really key player. Loads of ground to cover, needs to play on the half turn, has to find a good forward pass in the few opportunities they get. I don't think since losing Adam we have that, at least till Buckleys back.

Question I've got is why when we take off Dolan instead of replacing him with the totally ineffective Sigurdsson why not play an extra CM? Ayeri I guess.

Makes us more more robust, better to hold onto the ball, and I really dont think we lose anything going forward as Dolan and Sigurdsson got nothing out of them anyway....

Useful point anyway, though considering where we were on 25 mins quite disappointing.

Take the point, move on, but I still think we need to play with 3 central/defensive midfielders.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Awful disjointed performance.   Absolutely no foot-hold on the game. Going down.

Well apart from scoring two goals, and getting a point when most people were predicting us gettng a thumping.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

Only 6 shots at goal 4 of which in first half. Credit to lads for not conceding second half & a point away when we're fighting relegation is decent.

Really difficult game. Think it was hard for players too.

Good away point.

We were good for the initial 24/30 minutes then Preston dominated the rest of that half, which was a very watchable game.

The 2nd half quite dreadful by both teams but Preston probably shaded it a bit.

I'm not a great Dolan fan but he's on a hiding to nothing when the ball is just hoofed forward. 

Taking Dolan off to replace with Siggy, that was a waste of time and a chance to tighten up the midfield lost.

Brittain had a much better game than at Brum, they all did, but he's one hell of a soft lad.

Gally worked his nuts off, glad he got a somewhat fortunate goal.

No bookings at all in the derby game. Simple explanation for that, and it's David Webb.

Very happy with a point that I didn't expect.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I hope flecks injury isn’t too bad.

It was described as an ankle injury. Given that he's fractured his fibula twice in the same place it might well be a recurrence. Signing a crock never works. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What with 5 at the back as well ?

Yes, the two wing-backs are free to push forward. The idea being that they move forward from our defence, rather than them moving backwards to try to catch the oppositions attackers

• Like 1

I think it’s very difficult for Eustace to implement any of his ideas at the moment. There’s barely any time in between games at the moment to do anything other than recovery and the very basics.

We’ve got an unbalanced squad that lacks the required physicality and is mentally weak. We will just have to muddle through til the end of the season, a win, a loss and a draw in his first 3 games is ok, if we keep that up we should be ok. 

I’d have taken a point before kick off today,  it any time you throw away a 2 goal lead it has to be seen as points dropped.

Don’t know about Remy in the away end, but apparently JDT was at Brockhall this morning. I’m guessing it’s because his lads have remained in the Rovers academy, but it’s still very bizarre.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, nbdrovers said:

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the random "Remy was in the away end" rumour? Just keep seeing people asking if it's true on SM, but absolutely zero source point for where it might have come from! 

Yeh what's going on

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

I think it’s very difficult for Eustace to implement any of his ideas at the moment. There’s barely any time in between games at the moment to do anything other than recovery and the very basics.

We’ve got an unbalanced squad that lacks the required physicality and is mentally weak. We will just have to muddle through til the end of the season, a win, a loss and a draw in his first 3 games is ok, if we keep that up we should be ok. 

I’d have taken a point before kick off today,  it any time you throw away a 2 goal lead it has to be seen as points dropped.

Don’t know about Remy in the away end, but apparently JDT was at Brockhall this morning. I’m guessing it’s because his lads have remained in the Rovers academy, but it’s still very bizarre.

Maybe they are realising how stupid a decision it was to sack JDT and remy reijnierse and they are coming back haha