BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 minutes ago, HowzBRFC said:

Reminds me of Kevin Davies looking at his clips on Youtube. Looks like a bit of a lump, questionable touch. But good luck to him if he signs. 

Absolutely, will back him if he signs. He can't be any worse than Gally or Semir. Just a bit concerned he's 23 and only ever played in the US which is essentially a retirement league.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, hollowsr said:

Whiteman signed a new contract in January, it's Browne who hasn't 

Makes me happy when I see you post!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Absolutely, will back him if he signs. He can't be any worse than Gally or Semir. Just a bit concerned he's 23 and only ever played in the US which is essentially a retirement league.

I have similar concerns, surely there has to be more options closer to home. He also remindes me of Gally, second touch a tackle 😂 . To be fair he has scored goals in MLS but still I hope we spend our limited money wisely rather than one big signing. 

• Like 2

Was it not Siriki Dembele that destroyed us earlier in the season when Brum came to Ewood? We were cruising and it became a close game we eventually won?

Not saying sign him on one game but I recall a lot of clammer after the game about he is what we lack in pace, trickery and a goal threat

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

hope he`s more brian mcbride than cobi jones

Just to make the point, the MLS has a complete range of players these days.  Gone of the days of Landon Donovan + college kids and central americans.  They've been going big on Argentinians (think Almada at Atlanta has a world cup medal).  

Not to say he's a world beater nor is the league on par, but it's not the yeehaw leagues like it once was - despite how odd Americans are 

6 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

Was it not Siriki Dembele that destroyed us earlier in the season when Brum came to Ewood? We were cruising and it became a close game we eventually won?

Not saying sign him on one game but I recall a lot of clammer after the game about he is what we lack in pace, trickery and a goal threat

Double Demebele (Blackpool and Birmingham) would transform our break.  With Sammy gone we've an absence of pace over long distance.  Dolan is quick but only over 5 yards.  

Gally is easily replaceable for what he costs for me.  I understand he's great at defending and tries really hard but that's a dime a dozen and we may as well punt on Draper on the Norwegian guy at Rotterdam.  

Big nasty centre mid and a full back and we're looking like putting up some fight 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, hollowsr said:

Why? 🤨

Because I like being reminded of posters who contribute interesting posts, and I enjoy reading your posts about our academy boys.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Duru signs a new contract.

First team material? He's 19, so shouldn't be out of the question.

He won’t play in the first team - SWAG won’t risk letting him onto the rented coach if he’s clearly labelled as Car-sick

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

What ‘exec’ would that be then? Swag, Suhail? 🤦‍♂️

Could be Baker and Suhail? 

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

He only left College football a year ago but in the years he has scored plenty of goals and was called up to the USA national team

9 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I have no doubt in my mind, this is exactly how it will play out. We will be fortunate to buy one League 1 player, for £1-2 mil, ala, Szmodics. This plan is guaranteed to result in a relegation scrap. 

The idiocy of all this, is preceded by allowing players like Rothwell & Lenihan leave on a freebie. And selling off our most promising U21’s. who does this!?

Blackburn Rovers. Time & again. 

We are still suffering the repercussions of that farce years later. Probably £30m minimum of players allowed to leave for free. Imagine that on our FFP. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve taken - as a few Rovers fans probably have - an interest in McGuire, keeping up to speed on games he’s played in. He is scoring from the bench and starts.

MLS has come a long way and while it’s definitely not top five European league standard, I don’t think it’s totally dissimilar to Eredivisie or Portuguese league. Doesn’t really have the stand-out clubs like those two leagues have (Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Feyenoord, although LAFC have the feel of those clubs), but the general standard is similar, albeit slightly less technical.

After the world class players on a victory lap, there’s a tranche of players that are of a good standard. The thing that tracks nicely to the Championship is that it appears to be a physically demanding league, in the main.

Generally, his forward play is of a traditional number 9. Intelligent runs, good finishing, good positional awareness. He has the desirable trait of finding himself in the right place at the right time and for things to be consistently coming off for him. Not overly quick, though.

He’s a gamble, no doubt, but either we gamble on someone like him, with a good amount of statistical data behind that, a more experienced pro from a league below or a kid on loan from the big boys. We’re not going to drop the £7-10m that a proven goalscorer probably costs in this league.

In comparison to what we’ve got - I don’t think Semir scores goals in MLS, I don’t think Gally scores very many at all in MLS, I think Harry Leonard eventually scores a fair few in MLS, but Duncan McGuire is currently scoring more than any of them would (in my opinion) over there.

EDIT: to expand on the above, here’s a really quick clip of his play and it’s a good one because the angle is wide and you see his movement clearly: https://youtu.be/rNUEaS-wMqo

He challenges for the first ball up top, although gets beaten quite easily in the air. When the interception happens, though, he’s immediately up to speed, spots the gap in the middle and gambles on the ball either making its way directly to him or via a cutback from the flank. Whether it’s learned or instinctive, it’s well-employed and if we’re all agreed that we need a number 9 like that, I think this is a goal that shows he’s in that mould.

Edited by Bethnal
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, B16Rover said:

Double Demebele (Blackpool and Birmingham) would transform our break.  With Sammy gone we've an absence of pace over long distance.  Dolan is quick but only over 5 yards.  

Gally is easily replaceable for what he costs for me.  I understand he's great at defending and tries really hard but that's a dime a dozen and we may as well punt on Draper on the Norwegian guy at Rotterdam.  

Big nasty centre mid and a full back and we're looking like putting up some fight 

We won't put up any kind of fight until we have a better keeper. We can do what we want elsewhere on the pitch but it's meaningless with these two flappers.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Duru signs a new contract.

First team material? He's 19, so shouldn't be out of the question.

I've been championing this lad for a while now and I see him as a real prospect. He really kicked on in the second half of the season and was the best player in several of the under 21 games I saw. He can play any position down the right side and likes to get forward. If he maintains his rate of progress can see him being a direct challenger to Brittain.

The big question is whose idea was it to give him the new deal. It could well have been the last act of Broughton.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I've been championing this lad for a while now and I see him as a real prospect. He really kicked on in the second half of the season and was the best player in several of the under 21 games I saw. He can play any position down the right side and likes to get forward. If he maintains his rate of progress can see him being a direct challenger to Brittain.

The big question is whose idea was it to give him the new deal. It could well have been the last act of Broughton.

Have heard a few mentions of this lad over the last couple of month, excited to see him play.

One thing I want to know, does he have pace?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Have heard a few mentions of this lad over the last couple of month, excited to see him play.

One thing I want to know, does he have pace?

Some clips of him from about 20 seconds on in this video

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bethnal said:

I’ve taken - as a few Rovers fans probably have - an interest in McGuire, keeping up to speed on games he’s played in. He is scoring from the bench and starts.

MLS has come a long way and while it’s definitely not top five European league standard, I don’t think it’s totally dissimilar to Eredivisie or Portuguese league. Doesn’t really have the stand-out clubs like those two leagues have (Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Feyenoord, although LAFC have the feel of those clubs), but the general standard is similar, albeit slightly less technical.

After the world class players on a victory lap, there’s a tranche of players that are of a good standard. The thing that tracks nicely to the Championship is that it appears to be a physically demanding league, in the main.

Generally, his forward play is of a traditional number 9. Intelligent runs, good finishing, good positional awareness. He has the desirable trait of finding himself in the right place at the right time and for things to be consistently coming off for him. Not overly quick, though.

He’s a gamble, no doubt, but either we gamble on someone like him, with a good amount of statistical data behind that, a more experienced pro from a league below or a kid on loan from the big boys. We’re not going to drop the £7-10m that a proven goalscorer probably costs in this league.

In comparison to what we’ve got - I don’t think Semir scores goals in MLS, I don’t think Gally scores very many at all in MLS, I think Harry Leonard eventually scores a fair few in MLS, but Duncan McGuire is currently scoring more than any of them would (in my opinion) over there.

EDIT: to expand on the above, here’s a really quick clip of his play and it’s a good one because the angle is wide and you see his movement clearly: https://youtu.be/rNUEaS-wMqo

He challenges for the first ball up top, although gets beaten quite easily in the air. When the interception happens, though, he’s immediately up to speed, spots the gap in the middle and gambles on the ball either making its way directly to him or via a cutback from the flank. Whether it’s learned or instinctive, it’s well-employed and if we’re all agreed that we need a number 9 like that, I think this is a goal that shows he’s in that mould.

Thanks for the insight!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Duncan McGuire is currently scoring more than any of them would (in my opinion) over there.

If we sign McGuire, no way Dolan stays. Can't have 2 of them summersaulting when scoring, it'd be too much flair for Eustace's team. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bethnal said:

In that one clip you saw one thing that Gally hasn’t got - anticipation. Good run off the ball by the No 7, whoever he is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KentExile said:

Some clips of him from about 20 seconds on in this video

Sounds like a Manc and, whilst I know it doesn't really matter, I always prefer local(ish) lads coming through.

Not sure on this 'work of God' stuff though. It's hard work and good coaching that's got you this far Leo, don't downplay the effort.

• Like 2