BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 2/3/24

Despite a really good start to his Rovers career I have to say that yesterday McFadzean looked exactly what he is, a 38 year old centre half. Swansea exploited this and along with the dithering Hyam looked like a slow and cumbersome duo. Perhaps it's time to look at O'Riordan and Koumetio and give them an opportunity. I couldn't understand bringing Gilsenan on so late in the game. He is on fire and scoring for fun so why hold him back? Baffling. 

Eustace has some big decisions to make for Tuesday. I hope for his and Rovers sake he makes the right ones.

• Like 5

LT board very unhappy. Its not the owners fault (they are "generous but naive"apparently but its JDT's!

Not fond of us either.(By the way "the vermin from India" bit is used sarcastically in reference to an earlier post which used those words.)

↪ in reply to Stone Island:..

The Atomic Number 50 Man15 hrs ago

User ID: 2154327

Stone Island:..wrote: The vermin from India have owned Rovers for nearly 13 years. Where do you think your shower will be if Pace and Co stick around that long? I doubt you'd even exist. Be careful what you wish for.
Take your inbred bile back to the BRFCS forum where it belongs

Last Updated: 3 hrs ago

Edited by 47er

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Despite a really good start to his Rovers career I have to say that yesterday McFadzean looked exactly what he is, a 38 year old centre half. Swansea exploited this and along with the dithering Hyam looked like a slow and cumbersome duo. Perhaps it's time to look at O'Riordan and Koumetio and give them an opportunity. I couldn't understand bringing Gilsenan on so late in the game. He is on fire and scoring for fun so why hold him back? Baffling. 

Eustace has some big decisions to make for Tuesday. I hope for his and Rovers sake he makes the right ones.

My pal is a long time Newport County fan and really knows his stuff. When we signed O’Riordan he texted me and said he was a good player and had their CF in his pocket unlike the Man Utd defence in their recent cup tie. I think we need fresh legs and if you’re good enough, you’re old enough. With O’Riordan and Billy we would certainly have some extra height in the team, which might be useful at both ends. For me, Hyam has been exceptionally poor this season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

In the Telegraph today JDT said he had to leave as"the project had changed"or words to that effect.

Same story as under Lambert.

Think JDT really wanted to keep Gally as he dreaded the "no options"alternatives.

Getting promotion to the Premiership would involve larger capital outlays than Venkys want-higher player expenditure plus higher wages all round. Maybe even more pitch and infrastructure expenses. Not to mention FFP,contracts length,and the Indian courts.

Nonetheless the problems are very real in League I.......the Premiership clubs with the dough wont bother  offering large amounts for Academy saleables/players at League I level knowing clubs here are in a weak negotiating position. Coupled with seriously lower gate receipts/attendances. Even harder to get to Round 5 of the F.A.Cup!!

Its kind of a mess.

I hate Venkys as much as the next person but the above is just not true. Getting promoted to the Premier League would mean that the club could become self-funding and no longer have to put huge sums into the club. It would also give them greater brand exposure which is ultimately why they bought the club.

It is very gutting to think our best assets will have to be sold off cheaply if and when we drop to league one. Sammie, Carter, Hyam, Bucko, Trav will all be sold cheaply. Others who will leave are Trav, Gally, Siggy, and all of the loan players. 

We then have Gregg responsible for a re-build on about 50p and a packet of crisps. We are in a real mess.

• Like 1

That first half was a real tough watch. Moran giving up on chasing the Swansea attacker as he dribbled into the box sums up the performance.

All the credit Eustace and the players gained from the Newcastle game evaporated in the first 30 minutes.

We’re in big trouble and need a win fast!

12 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I hate Venkys as much as the next person but the above is just not true. Getting promoted to the Premier League would mean that the club could become self-funding and no longer have to put huge sums into the club. It would also give them greater brand exposure which is ultimately why they bought the club.

It is very gutting to think our best assets will have to be sold off cheaply if and when we drop to league one. Sammie, Carter, Hyam, Bucko, Trav will all be sold cheaply. Others who will leave are Trav, Gally, Siggy, and all of the loan players. 

We then have Gregg responsible for a re-build on about 50p and a packet of crisps. We are in a real mess.

We won't miss Hyam, Gally, Siggy or any of the loan players. Their combined impact has been minimal this season. 

4 minutes ago, alcd said:

We won't miss Hyam, Gally, Siggy or any of the loan players. Their combined impact has been minimal this season. 

We will when we see the quality of player that replaces them! 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Just seen the highlights. Talk about gifting them the goals! Good grief.

Sure we’ve all seen them goals we conceded, but there are quite a few at fault really. Awful.

3 hours ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Same old Rovers yesterday. 

Pears flapping. Moran losing the ball in key areas leading to easy goals for the opposition. Gallagher & Dolan, despite the recent clamour, would only be squad players in a team at the higher end of the Championship - both demonstrate a distinct lack of quality in the attacking 3rd of the pitch.

If Gally had a first touch and could hold the ball up to bring midfield runners like Bucko, Szmodics & Moran into play he’d be fantastic. But he doesn’t, and his stats back up that lack of quality year in year out. And he’s a big pussy who gets subbed off at the slightest hint of an injury. 

Ultimately though, the blame lies with our cretinous owners & their stooge Steve Maggott. We’ve not had the budget to replace weaker first team players & ones that have left the club with better quality. This will lead us straight into League One, either this season or next. Both the players and the fans need to wake up to that fact very quickly. 

IMG_5666.jpeg

To be fair to Gallagher, he looked done after an hour yesterday after going over on his ankle but he had it strapped up and hobbled on.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

McFadzean is only 37. Give him some credit!

If Koumetio is seen as a genuine alternative then we may aswell give up now.

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The Gallagher conundrum.

He is our best defender but our worst attacker.

He isnt our worst attacker.

Hes bang average but since his return from injury, hes been easily our second best attacker. Low bar admittedly. Scored v QPR, Preston and Wrexham, few assists and some good performances in there too, notably v Stoke.

Also some shit ones including yesterday. Hes an average and inconsistent attacker at this level, getting more than his fair share of focus.

Dolan had the one good game v Stoke and has otherwise been poor for a while. Markanday has had one good cameo ever. Sigurdsson hasnt done anything for months bar shirk challenges. And the others all equally terrible.

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair to Gallagher, he looked done after an hour yesterday after going over on his ankle but he had it strapped up and hobbled on.

Hes bang average but since his return from injury, hes been easily our second best attacker. Low bar admittedly. Scored v QPR, Preston and Wrexham, few assists and some good performances in there too, notably v Stoke.

Also some shit ones including yesterday. Hes an average and inconsistent attacker at this level, getting more than his fair share of focus.

Dolan had the one good game v Stoke and has otherwise been poor for a while. Markanday has had one good cameo ever. Sigurdsson hasnt done anything for months bar shirk challenges. And the others all equally terrible.

Based on what?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They are all pretty dire.

Gallagher does his best work in our half, chasing back and defending set pieces.  He's more important to the team than the others for that reason alone - but generally pretty poor as a goal threat/or holding the ball up. 

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Based on what?

His shambolic cameo against Newcastle where more than once he caused us massive issues.

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

They are all pretty dire.

Gallagher does his best work in our half, chasing back and defending set pieces.  He's more important to the team than the others for that reason alone - but generally pretty poor as a goal threat/or holding the ball up. 

He will chip in with an average of maybe 1 in 4, will certainly never be prolific. 

He does offer something in attack which most of the others don't, and has had quite a few good games since injury.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His shambolic cameo against Newcastle where more than once he caused us massive issues.

He will chip in with an average of maybe 1 in 4, will certainly never be prolific. 

He does offer something in attack which most of the others don't, and has had quite a few good games since injury.

So for a thirty something minute performance up against Almiron you have written him off. It was a performance which many thought he did good things too.

It's a strange stance to take in my opinion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So for a thirty something minute performance up against Almiron you have written him off. It was a performance which many thought he did good things too.

It's a strange stance to take in my opinion.

I havent written him off and ill be open minded should he play again. But he didnt look like a professional footballer and I am certainly not eager to see him play again. Hopefully Wharton will stay fit and we wont need to consider him.

Thought I would let the dust settle before posting. Manager didn't change much from the game against Newcastle. Can't blame him after that showing. It didn't pay off and Swansea clinical taking there chances. One positive I can take from that game was Eustace. Noticed the weakness and changed things up, changed shape,in game management we are not used to but He tried. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Have to say that Hyam really isn't up to much.  Been a mainstay of a leaky defence for last 2 seasons and doesn't seem a leader on the pitch.  

Reminds me a bit of Scott Dann.

Is that the Scott Dann who went from here to have a very good career in Premiership with Palace and was called up to England squad? 

Hyam, like Dann, is more a victim of the players around him than anything else in my opinion. He was outstanding last season, you don’t become a bad player overnight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gav said:

Is that the Scott Dann who went from here to have a very good career in Premiership with Palace and was called up to England squad? 

Hyam, like Dann, is more a victim of the players around him than anything else in my opinion. He was outstanding last season, you don’t become a bad player overnight.

Yes - The Scott Dann that looked initially decent but lazy and uninterested during most of his Rovers spell. Not interested in what he did after.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

This is a real problem now and one the boo boys need to consider as we have to defend deep and maybe go long to cover the slowest defence in the league.

• Like 1

Despite a really good start to his Rovers career I have to say that yesterday McFadzean looked exactly what he is, a 38 year old centre half. Swansea exploited this and along with the dithering Hyam looked like a slow and cumbersome duo. Perhaps it's time to look at O'Riordan and Koumetio and give them an opportunity.

Could this not be down to the number of games he has played in a short time scale. 

Maybe move Hyam into the centre and bring in O'Riordan into the right side of the back 3

I couldn't understand bringing Gilsenan on so late in the game. He is on fire and scoring for fun so why hold him back? Baffling. 

What changes would you have made during the game? 

What would your team be for Tuesday game? 

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just seen the highlights. Talk about gifting them the goals! Good grief.

Sure we’ve all seen them goals we conceded, but there are quite a few at fault really. Awful.

I'm of the belief that the first goal was a foul on Pears, and wouldn't have been given under VAR. It was also pretty jammy the way the guy attempted some smartass flick and it ricocheted in a perfect way for him to bear down into the area. That said, the defending was still unacceptable, and even moreso for the second goal.

Having seen the extended (Swansea-side) highlights, which still show the majority of chances being ours, and the short highlights which showed a couple more chances for us the extended didn't, it certainly looks like we should have won that game. But the usual failings (coupled with their keeper having a good game) meant the usual outcome.

5 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

With O’Riordan and Billy we would certainly have some extra height in the team, which might be useful at both ends.

Especially against Millwall. However, whilst McFadzean probably needs a rest after being immense until Swansea, and I'm alright with giving O'Riordan a chance in his stead, we got a mixed bag from Koumetio against Newcastle and I wouldn't be willing to trust him with a start yet. Especially not alongside someone else who hasn't had a start yet. Too risky in a key game against a relegation rival who will really battle. Shame McFadz looks knackered, the performances we've seen from him so far would be perfect for the next game.

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The boo boys?

Don't pretend they don't exist there is nothing more piss boiling than hearing boos at half time when it's nil nil it's fucking pathetic.

I remember us laying into the dingles for that when Dyche was first there it's six fingered territory that stuff and we are better than that.

We need some urgency from the team obviously but we need patience and backing from the terraces there'll be plenty time and justification to kick off if we are rubbish and lose again but lets not contribute to it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1