v Millwall (h) - 5/3/24

This is a must win game. 

My team would be 

Pears 

Brittain Hyam Wharton Chrisene 

Dolan  Ayari  Buckley  Hedges 

Szmodics 

Gallagher 

Subs:- Wahlstedt O'Riordan McFadzean Pickering Tronstad Moran Sigurdsson Markanday Telalovic 

• K-Hod pinned this topic
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is a must win game. 

My team would be 

Pears 

Szmodics 

Gallagher 

Subs:- Wahlstedt O'Riordan McFadzean Pickering Tronstad Moran Sigurdsson Markanday Telalovic 

I think Tronstad has to play, if fit.

• Like 2

'A must win game'

So what happens if we don't win?

Nothing, we just say that Plymouth is then a must win and on it goes.

I know which side between Rovers and Millwall I'd put my money on in a relegation scrap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is a must win game. 

My team would be 

Pears 

Szmodics 

Gallagher 

442 do me a favour Chaddy lad 😩

Pears

Hyam Wharton Chrisene

Brittain                          Pickering

Buckley    Ayari

Dolan                        Sigurdsson

Szmodics 

Defensive solid with 5 across the back when defending but legs to get forward when attacking.

McFazdean & Gallagher OUT as they simply aren’t good enough footballers. Replaced with better quality on the ball in Chrisene & Siggy. Siggy, despite his limitations, does have genuine quality to hurt the opposition in the attacking 3rd of the pitch. Which is what we need to WIN games. Pragmatic draws are no longer good enough. Let’s go out to hurt Millwall with good football, not play them at their own dirty game. 

COYB! 🌹 

Edited by DuffsLeftPeg

• chaddyrovers changed the title to Millwall at home 5/3/24

It's got Millwall away win written all over this.

The have just enjoyed back to back wins and have got the much needed new manager bounce.

Rovers 0 - Millwall 2.

No excuses, we move on to Plymouth and then the international break and the explanation of the button gate saga.

There is the little matter of the court hearing too, so it could be all over bar the shouting very soon.

• Like 1

It will be a draw. Millwall have way more about them than we do and will be happy to frustrate us for a point. I think we may beat Plymout though so that's four points out of 9 from relegation six pointers. We'd then have to find 9 other points from somewhere to stay up. 

We have the top goalscorer in the league yet sit one point above the relegation places. That shows how awful we have been. 

Although are squad is very poor, I still don't think it should be a squad on paper that is one point off relegation. There has been complete mismanagement at all levels this season.

I genuinely can't see us staying up as we simply don't seem to know how to win games. Even when we went 3 up against Stoke we nearly imploded - and that was with us 3 up and very comfortable. Eustace just can't seem to get anything out of this squad so far. Not that I'm blaming him as he's had no time to work on the players but I did expect more of an impact than we have seen. Not a single win yet. 

• Like 2

Disappointed that Eustace has seemingly been happy to get a draw in games that we should have been trying to win. And no, we don't look solid at the back despite Eustace's tactics. Yes, recruitment has been terrible, but his approach is not helping.

• Like 2

It is an absolute must not lose. Thankfully not quite yet at must win although getting one win and two draws at least from the next three games is utterly essential.

No our squad is not "shit".

We would be fine with JRC, Hedges, Tronstad, Garrett, Barnes, Fleck and Leonard back in contention on Tuesday.

But they aren't and we have a bit of a headache not least after the non-performances of Moran and Gallagher amongst others yesterday plus the return of the Pears flap...

I would be looking at O'Riordan affording McFadzean a rest and either Ayari or Markanday in place of Dolan. We don't have an alternative to Gallagher who must be due the random bit of a good performance sometime soon.

But above all, we need either Tronstad or Garrett back alongside Buckley.  If they are not, Chrisene pushed into central midfield? 

2 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I think Tronstad has to play, if fit.

It will be interesting if he is fit. 

2 hours ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Pears

Hyam Wharton Chrisene

Buckley    Ayari

Szmodics 

Defensive solid with 5 across the back when defending but legs to get forward when attacking.

McFazdean & Gallagher OUT as they simply aren’t good enough footballers. Replaced with better quality on the ball in Chrisene & Siggy. Siggy, despite his limitations, does have genuine quality to hurt the opposition in the attacking 3rd of the pitch. Which is what we need to WIN games. Pragmatic draws are no longer good enough. Let’s go out to hurt Millwall with good football, not play them at their own dirty game. 

COYB! 🌹 

Not a fan of Wharton has the central centre back or Szmodics as false 9. I think we need more attacking and get our best players on the pitch

I would go with my team would gives us balance and width to get balls into the box plus Buckley and Ayari can direct our tempo of the game. 

Ideally I’d be looking for a way to get Brittain and to a lesser degree Hyam out of that defence. I’m afraid neither of them are any use in a scrap. Unfortunately injuries and an unbalanced squad won’t allow for it.

Moran can’t start in central midfield again, especially not against Millwall. Praying Tronstad is back fit. Gallagher was horrific yesterday, but on recent displays and with a lack of any other options he has to keep his place.

I’m still in a bit of a state of disbelief at how we managed to go from that display against Newcastle to the abomination we did against Swansea. It really shouldn’t have come to this, but this is absolutely a must win game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Ideally I’d be looking for a way to get Brittain and to a lesser degree Hyam out of that defence. I’m afraid neither of them are any use in a scrap. Unfortunately injuries and an unbalanced squad won’t allow for it.

Moran can’t start in central midfield again, especially not against Millwall. Praying Tronstad is back fit. Gallagher was horrific yesterday, but on recent displays and with a lack of any other options he has to keep his place.

I’m still in a bit of a state of disbelief at how we managed to go from that display against Newcastle to the abomination we did against Swansea. It really shouldn’t have come to this, but this is absolutely a must win game.

You aren't a fan of Brittain aren't you? 

Yet Moran was very good against Newcastle in a centre midfield role so why not in Championship game? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet Moran was very good against Newcastle in a centre midfield role so why not in Championship game? 

No, he’s a coward.

Moran was beyond a liability yesterday. His performance against Newcastle was a complete anomaly over the last few months and Mitchell and Saville will eat him alive.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was up against opponents who were more interested in playing attractive passing football than getting stuck in. In most championship games you need to win the physical battle before you can play your football.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

No, he’s a coward.

I am big fan of his and He would be first choice right back every week. Same as Hyam. 

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Moran was beyond a liability yesterday. His performance against Newcastle was a complete anomaly over the last few months and Mitchell and Saville will eat him alive.

Moran started off well here then he struggled with playing week in and week out at this level given it is first time of playing regular first team football around December time. 

2 hours ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Pears

Hyam Wharton Chrisene

Buckley    Ayari

Szmodics 

COYB! 🌹 

That must be the shortest team we’ve ever fielded.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am big fan of his and He would be first choice right back every week. Same as Hyam. 

Moran started off well here then he struggled with playing week in and week out at this level given it is first time of playing regular first team football around December time. 

I’m not a Brittain fan. He’s not good enough on the ball to be an outright wide player and not good enough defensively to be a genuine full back. A “ bits and pieces “ player.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m not a Brittain fan. He’s not good enough on the ball to be an outright wide player and not good enough defensively to be a genuine full back. A “ bits and pieces “ player.

well Tyrone, that's your opinion. I was fan of his at Barnsley and wanted us to sign him which we did. Still happy we signed him and yes I would pick up every week at right back/wing back