BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) - 5/3/24

25 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Lucky in that there was little quality in the league that year,

lucky in that we had a squad of some quality that wanted to right the wrongs that next season- Graham, mulgrew ….

lucky that we could afford to bag the best player in the league- dack

need to look at the bigger picture I’m afraid 

Exactly.

League One is much stronger now.

We might even have fellow development club, Crewe, in the same division.

They will probably be about our level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

This guy is a muppet isn’t he, I’d honestly sack him now.

Wtf, from what Euseless has said there, the hotel receptionist has only had the one thing to do and had failed at it, but he's done very well.

WHAT THE WHATTERY WHAT WHAT FUCKING HELL WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SAYING YOU BOTTOM FEEDING CRAP STACKING COWARDLY CUSTARD MOON HOWLING SNOT RAG??????????!

• Like 2

If ever you wanted to sum up our recruitment under these horrendous owners and their cuts (spearheaded by Broughton) then only 2 players signed within the last 3 windows started last night. One was the incompetent Wahlstedt and the other a 37 year old CB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm surprised he's not being criticised for the goal - he was loafing back there. Didn't even try to get his foot in to block the shot.

Precisely why he should keep his concentration on the game, the guy knows hes been poor this season and a limp captain on the pitch.

That's why he seems fixated on trying to spin blame onto fans and the fact he must have seen it all before at Coventry makes his actions and comments more odd, he knows how it all works and knows why people are fed up. Then again maybe he was only there during their upwards trajectory i'm not sure.

It was an abject watch first half. Mowbray mk2 but worse. Neither one nor the other and whichever way we tried poorly executed.

Obviously, Millwall made it very difficult with every man behind the ball and in their own half –essentially 5, 3, 2. So time and time again, we play a few balls across the back line, it gets forced to the wingback who has essentially nowhere to go. And again, to be fair to Hyam (someone has to 😉 ) he kept looking up with nothing on because everyone marked and no space. And eventually lumps it forward aimlessly. There were also so many times when Gally and Sammie were bending their runs but the ball just did not get sent and was passed sideways yet again across the backline.

Nobody really wanting it short save Buckley who thinks he is a genius and has plenty of time (or his brain is wired to adagio) who does try to pass and move but is very fond of the world beating chip forward. There were semblances of the short snappy stuff to try and break them down but it was always just off and not enough players believed in it.

The other thing that is really annoying is that on the turnover we rarely then look up for the early ball to capitalise on the advantage. You get a split second of advantage and need to use it –eg long diagonal, (before everyone gets back into shape or shuffles across), early through ball to Sammie and so on. There were so many times we get the tackle in, get the turnover and instead of quickly capitalising, simply start the easy passes across the back line so the opposition get back into shape.

Same with crosses. Brittain and Dolan could have got more in. Brittain favours the cut back (good idea) but often just nobody there. There was one occasion in the second half when Chrisene (I think) got to the byline on the left, Gally moved to far post (fair enough for a deep cross) and Pickering, bless him, saw that nobody making a near post run and so he did his best to run all the way from his right  side to the near. Of course, he didn’t make it (he showed good awareness to try), Chrisene duly pops in quite a good near post cross and nobody there.

It did look a little better as we were trying to get the second but we never really threatened. Cracking shot from Ayari though. Who knew?

So, neither fish nor fowl.

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, riverholmes said:

If we are to play the same formation, I would bring in Koumetio or O'Riordan (assuming he's quicker than our current CBs) to at least allow the team to play a few yards further up the pitch. Maybe, Chrisene, from the start too. However, the manager is so attached to his current back three, I suspect he'll keep it the same.

Need a can-opener. Buckley is quite predictable with his looping passes into the channels. I'd give Ayari a chance as he seems interested in getting amongst it in the final third at least. We were set up to avoid defeat but looking at our fixtures we need to have a crack at these poor teams. JDT would've had a fair crack at it at least...

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

Need a can-opener. Buckley is quite predictable with his looping passes into the channels. I'd give Ayari a chance as he seems interested in getting amongst it in the final third at least. We were set up to avoid defeat but looking at our fixtures we need to have a crack at these poor teams. JDT would've had a fair crack at it at least...

And he would have lost 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm surprised he's not being criticised for the goal - he was loafing back there. Didn't even try to get his foot in to block the shot.

Definitely was. He leapt in and left McFadzean exposed to a 1v1 situation against Obafemi. I think he's had a really poor season. 

• Like 1

Didn't even get up from the couch when we scored 1-1. My girlfriend just looked mystified at me as this was a first. Felt we were gifted a goal and created nothing by ourselves. Say what you will about JDT but at least we created something over 90 mins that looked like football. This is just awful.

Is it weird that I can actually feel the doom and gloom around the club from Norway? There is just something....wrong...when I've seen us play lately. No plan just hoof. It's like the TV is radiating "we are going down".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, moerpho said:

Didn't even get up from the couch when we scored 1-1. My girlfriend just looked mystified at me as this was a first. Felt we were gifted a goal and created nothing by ourselves. Say what you will about JDT but at least we created something over 90 mins that looked like football. This is just awful.

Is it weird that I can actually feel the doom and gloom around the club from Norway? There is just something....wrong...when I've seen us play lately. No plan just hoof. It's like the TV is radiating "we are going down".

My reaction was the same from inside the ground. Never felt like that about a Rovers goal before.

Already made the decision in January (after the transfer debacle) that I won't be renewing our season tickets next year regardless of what league we're in.

CEO isn't fit for purpose. I won't be giving a penny more till they are all gone.

• Like 6

Not much to say about the match that hasn't been said already, really. 

The one thing that does spring to mind is that the will to win - or lack thereof - is matched by the quality in the first team, squad, non playing staff and boardroom. Underfunded and sub par throughout. Where are the winners? What genuine achievements can be listed by the above? The club reeks of mediocrity and it's bearing fruit.

Some talk of comparing squads and I'd argue we've one of the three worst. Yet again I'm reminded of January and th combination of penny pinching and ineptitude that has left us in this state. 

They say football is a rollercoaster of emotions but these days I merely frit from anger to apathy and back again.

• Like 2

It's becoming more and more apparent that no one at the club gives a shit.

On the performance, we've gone from having 7 players in front of the defence when we have the ball with JDTs tactics of one full back going into midfield, to just 5 given our wing backs rarely show for the ball in the opposition half. Lack of options meant more playing it around the CBs and more and more long balls as frustration at lack of options grew. The players may not be playing well but that set up is down to the manager.

We've gone from the defence having Adam Wharton, Tronstad and JRC to pick out to John Buckley and Jake Garrett. I like Buckley and think there's a place for him in that side but comparing the 2 options is night and day.

He needs to ditch the 3 CBs, set up the same as Newcastle second half and go back to 4-2-3-1. A comprehensive win at the weekend might just give them some belief.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, London blue said:

Not much to say about the match that hasn't been said already, really. 

The one thing that does spring to mind is that the will to win - or lack thereof - is matched by the quality in the first team, squad, non playing staff and boardroom. Underfunded and sub par throughout. Where are the winners? What genuine achievements can be listed by the above? The club reeks of mediocrity and it's bearing fruit.

Some talk of comparing squads and I'd argue we've one of the three worst. Yet again I'm reminded of January and th combination of penny pinching and ineptitude that has left us in this state. 

They say football is a rollercoaster of emotions but these days I merely frit from anger to apathy and back again.

I think Rotherham have the worst squad (they are adrift) but we have the 2nd worst .

Selling Adam Wharton and replacing him basically with Fleck as given us , that dubious honour .

Unfortunately , the selling of Adam Wharton , the non sensical loaning of Travis and having a no mark DOF , will relegate us this season .I f a miracle happens this season and we stay up , we won't next season !!!

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If ever you wanted to sum up our recruitment under these horrendous owners and their cuts (spearheaded by Broughton) then only 2 players signed within the last 3 windows started last night. One was the incompetent Wahlstedt and the other a 37 year old CB.

Sums it up perfectly. Low budget, but shambolic use of it. The lot of them would be gutted if we had competent owners. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, martonrover said:

Exactly.

League One is much stronger now.

We might even have fellow development club, Crewe, in the same division.

They will probably be about our level.

They've become our feeder club but it'll probably end up the other way round before long.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aletheia said:

It was an abject watch first half. Mowbray mk2 but worse. Neither one nor the other and whichever way we tried poorly executed.

Obviously, Millwall made it very difficult with every man behind the ball and in their own half –essentially 5, 3, 2. So time and time again, we play a few balls across the back line, it gets forced to the wingback who has essentially nowhere to go. And again, to be fair to Hyam (someone has to 😉 ) he kept looking up with nothing on because everyone marked and no space. And eventually lumps it forward aimlessly. There were also so many times when Gally and Sammie were bending their runs but the ball just did not get sent and was passed sideways yet again across the backline.

Nobody really wanting it short save Buckley who thinks he is a genius and has plenty of time (or his brain is wired to adagio) who does try to pass and move but is very fond of the world beating chip forward. There were semblances of the short snappy stuff to try and break them down but it was always just off and not enough players believed in it.

The other thing that is really annoying is that on the turnover we rarely then look up for the early ball to capitalise on the advantage. You get a split second of advantage and need to use it –eg long diagonal, (before everyone gets back into shape or shuffles across), early through ball to Sammie and so on. There were so many times we get the tackle in, get the turnover and instead of quickly capitalising, simply start the easy passes across the back line so the opposition get back into shape.

Same with crosses. Brittain and Dolan could have got more in. Brittain favours the cut back (good idea) but often just nobody there. There was one occasion in the second half when Chrisene (I think) got to the byline on the left, Gally moved to far post (fair enough for a deep cross) and Pickering, bless him, saw that nobody making a near post run and so he did his best to run all the way from his right  side to the near. Of course, he didn’t make it (he showed good awareness to try), Chrisene duly pops in quite a good near post cross and nobody there.

It did look a little better as we were trying to get the second but we never really threatened. Cracking shot from Ayari though. Who knew?

So, neither fish nor fowl.

I agree with you on turnover ball. We seem so grateful to actually get the ball back that we have to have three of four touches before we’re ready to release it.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

So basically once the taps were turned off and the wage budget slashed by 20% our recruitment has suffered?

On Millwall’s goal:-

•    2 soft tackles before the cross (Garrett and Wharton)
•    Where is Hyam on the cross? Hopelessly out of positon –if he was in his shape he could have headed clear
•    Lucky deflection off Buckley
•    Mcfadz done by a simple drop of the shoulder
•    Wahl falls over instead of just standing tall

On our goal:

•    Siggy needs to play a simple pass to Sammie but contrives to give it straight to the defender
•    Another Millwall defender then gives it back to Siggy who this time can’t fail to give it to Sammie
•    Sammie no hesitation, first time aims for far corner, not quite there but enough pace on the shot for Millwall keeper to fail to get to ground quick enough to keep it out

Two sides who couldn’t score in open play but gave each other a goal. 🙂

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 2

Millwall fans gripes mirror these on here, Harris is too dour and negative, hope he's just here to keep us up then replace him, we show zero intent to attack a poor team, stop messing about with it at the back it cost a goal again last night...

So on and so forth.

Championship football in other words.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Millwall fans gripes mirror these on here, Harris is too dour and negative, hope he's just here to keep us up then replace him, we show zero intent to attack a poor team, stop messing about with it at the back it cost a goal again last night...

So on and so forth.

Championship football in other words.

The didn't mess about other than in that instance. Other than that I would say spot on.

This is the football quite a few fans on here have been asking for though. Not sure why myself, although the mood would've been different if we got some more points with this style of football.

• Like 1