BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 21/04/2024

10 hours ago, martonrover said:

Wednesday maybe 2nd bottom, but their current form isn't and they are fighting relegation very hard.

As for what happens now being an indicator for next season, Barnsley got to the Play Offs a few seasons ago, then got relegated the following season.

What happens in terms of player loss and recruitment will shape next season.

Yes, we obviously want to win, but a draw will suffice for the bigger picture.

They’ve won 1 of their last 6 matches and are 22nd in the form table (for that period)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

They’ve won 1 of their last 6 matches and are 22nd in the form table (for that period)

That is certainly worse than I had thought, but they are 8th in the form table over the last six away games.

Wednesday have done well to even still be in with a realistic shout of staying up when you consider the start they had.

It should be a really interesting watch (although only on replay for me because of work).

• Like 2

We've got two teams who've struggled this season and are where we are for a reason - clown ownerships and lack of investment.  Also those fans of ours who constantly spout along the lines of 'if only we had 20k every week' need to look at Wednesday to see it means nothing if you are still run by fools.

Anyway on our day and them on their day we are the stronger better side so we should take that mentality into the game but seeing as this is the championship and anything can happen from one day to the next.....

Rovers   1     Owls   1

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 07:54, JHRover said:

Nobody else in the country gives the away team 7000+ away tickets at the drop of a hat to make some extra money 

Apart from fake club MK Dons 

Why do Rovers?

Look up the stats for % of the ground being filled, we're rock bottom. Most teams literally couldn't offer that many tickets for away fans, without not leaving enough for home fans.

34 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Look up the stats for % of the ground being filled, we're rock bottom. Most teams literally couldn't offer that many tickets for away fans, without not leaving enough for home fans.

Yes I know we are rock bottom.

So what's the solution? Just hand over the ground to whoever wants it and shrug shoulders?

Or make the effort to get more home fans in, and fill the ground up a bit that way?

• Like 3

On 15/04/2024 at 22:14, Ghost7 said:

I disagree, sell out away ends are expected against "the big boys" and in theory is should give them an added advantage, most of the time they don't need it... and the fixture isn't crucial. Sheffield need it. It helped Preston and Lowe confirmed that. It can make a team talk very easy when there's 7,000 fans in the away end. A sensible CEO would avoid it in this type of fixture on the off chance it inspired the opponent to a win.

Crazy to think arsenal Bayern and arsenal only take 3700 fans to Germany. Sheff bring 7000 to Lancashire!

Plenty of clubs in this league have c10k empty seats most weeks yet they cap away allocations at 2/3k - Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Stoke, Cardiff etc.

They don’t give away teams 5k+. We choose to, it doesn’t particularly bother me, but it is a choice and it’s a choice a lot of other clubs wouldn’t even entertain.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s a good point, under JDT )and Eustace at Sunderland) we’ve put in some cracking away performances and results - but at home, when did we last give a team a hiding? 

Outside of cup games against lower league opposition, we haven't this season. 

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s a good point, under JDT )and Eustace at Sunderland) we’ve put in some cracking away performances and results - but at home, when did we last give a team a hiding? 

Wonder if, as points by others, us allowing away fans to bring their 1000s, doesn't really give us a home advantage?7000 sheff weds fans, Vs 12-13000 home fans? Not a huge difference especially if they are getting behind their team

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The most recent ones in the league that spring to mind are wins at Swansea (3-0), QPR (4-1) and of course the 5-0 at Hillsborough against this lot but that was a while ago now.

Exactly, all away. Very rare we put a side to the sword at Ewood. Though forget a hammering, even routine wins (or this season, wins at all) don’t come around very often.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I missed the stoke game due to wife having heart appointment in London so i think its something like dec 12th last time i saw a home win ( i think)

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Plenty of clubs in this league have c10k empty seats most weeks yet they cap away allocations at 2/3k - Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Stoke, Cardiff etc.

They don’t give away teams 5k+. We choose to, it doesn’t particularly bother me, but it is a choice and it’s a choice a lot of other clubs wouldn’t even entertain.

10k? We have closer to 15-20k empty seats each week and even with reduced prices, we’ve not sold over 25k home tickets for any game in the last 5 years. We have more empty seats than any other club and given our financial situation, it’s understandable why we offer big allocations, despite the downsides.

Yes, morten I know you think we have shit support, you’ve made that very clear over the years.

I’m talking about other clubs who also have a plethora (but yes, not as many as us) of empty seats. These clubs also have no parachute payments and I would wager wouldn’t mind the extra revenue from 5k+ followings, but they choose to restrict - why? If not to the protect home advantage?

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Usual crap being spouted by giddy away fans I see on their forum..' we'll have fans all over the Home areas' blah,blah,blah!

🤪...

They'll be winning the attendance cup next year in league 1 too. Well done lads, population of half a million, 1 club to compete with and you're averaging almost 10k empty seats at home all season.

Edited by superniko

1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

to be fair to the geordies they did.

only time its been true mind.  Can imagine sheep shaggers in the BBE will get treated a tad different than the toon lads.

A certain Man City match comes to mind.

• Like 1

To be fair the Sheffield clubs get no credit for their crowds in comparison to comparable cities like Leeds and Newcastle (‘best fans in the country ya ya ya’), when between them they are pulling in c60,000 and have been largely crap for decades.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

to be fair to the geordies they did.

only time its been true mind.  Can imagine sheep shaggers in the BBE will get treated a tad different than the toon lads.

Didn't notice or wasn't aware of any Geordies in the JW Upper DE side.

Only game I've ever seen this happen aside from the Man City / Celtic games was, weirdly, West Ham in the FA Cup in 2016. There was a big group of around 30 or 40 of them.

Edited by Hasta

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair the Sheffield clubs get no credit for their crowds in comparison to comparable cities like Leeds and Newcastle (‘best fans in the country ya ya ya’), when between them they are pulling in c60,000 and have been largely crap for decades.

Which again based on population of the area is no better, and probably worse, than we get.

Edited by Hasta

Not saying it is, just find it interesting on how the media (and now social media) has put those two other clubs on a pedestal as uniquely fantastically supported when in reality they are no better than anyone else, indeed Leeds support has more than often been very poor considering the size of the place.