BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 21/04/2024

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

We should expect to win. We are playing 2nd bottom at home, win and relegation is impossible, I dont get the general fear playing against such a poor side at home trying to focus on negating them. It suits them if we sit in and try to defend, if we be aggressive and press high then we can win.

Wednesday are in very good form, the league table is irrelevant. Saying we should expect to win is a bit daft to be honest seeing as we’ve only won 2 since the new manager took over

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt he say that he has recommended that we spend, not that there is.

We should expect to win. We are playing 2nd bottom at home, win and relegation is impossible, I dont get the general fear playing against such a poor side at home trying to focus on negating them. It suits them if we sit in and try to defend, if we be aggressive and press high then we can win.

Let's not take them lightly after today's results.

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Wednesday are in very good form, the league table is irrelevant. Saying we should expect to win is a bit daft to be honest seeing as we’ve only won 2 since the new manager took over

They’ve won 1 of their last 7 league games.

Edit - beaten to it 🤦‍♂️

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Szmodics has active interest from 2 current prem teams and is practically sold, I would be surprised if fees aren't as good as agreed. Also led to believe he doesn't actually want to leave but it's bound to happen....

I don't mind selling players on - you have to understand your place in the food chain - but the transfer funds generated need to be reinvested into the playing squad. At the moment they're solely going into running costs. 

You also have to get as much as you can out of the deal - you can't just give them away because a PL club comes calling. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

6 points from 7 games isnt very good but the league table isnt irrelevant as thats how good they have been over 43 games.

I get what you say about us and Eustace but my point is more that we should be aiming to beat the 2nd worst team in the league at home and not fearing them or saying we would accept a point.

16 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Let's not take them lightly after today's results.

Im not saying take them lightly, obviously not. Just that we should be targetting a win, there is a lot of fear towards a poor side when we are at home. A home win clearly isnt a formality, far from it, but a draw wouldnt be a result to be particularly pleased about.

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No one fearing them but showing them respect they deserved cos since Rohl's appointment they have vastly improved them. 

Would you not start the same team that started at Leeds? 

Quite a few people have suggested that they would be happy with a point. We are playing the second worst team in the league at home with a win sealing survival, if we cant be expecting a win here then when can we.

Team wise, we are limited because beyond that 11 last week, we are so weak due to budget cuts. If Wharton is struggling/unfit then I would bring in an attacking player though, whether thats Buckley and pushing JRC on, Ayari, Markanday or Moran. Not exciting options but at least its an extra attacking player rather than sticking in someone like McFadzean or Chrisene who themselves are a downgrade.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Quite a few people have suggested that they would be happy with a point. We are playing the second worst team in the league at home with a win sealing survival, if we cant be expecting a win here then when can we.

Team wise, we are limited because beyond that 11 last week, we are so weak due to budget cuts. If Wharton is struggling/unfit then I would bring in an attacking player though, whether thats Buckley and pushing JRC on, Ayari, Markanday or Moran. Not exciting options but at least its an extra attacking player rather than sticking in someone like McFadzean or Chrisene who themselves are a downgrade.

I wouldn’t be happy with a point and certainly would be going out to win it. It’s a game we really should be winning.

However there is a big difference to the position we will find ourselves if we draw compared to if we lose.  If there is 10 minutes left and it is 1-1, I wouldn’t be throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

6 points from 7 games isnt very good but the league table isnt irrelevant as thats how good they have been over 43 games.

Since Eustace took over Rovers have taken 13 points from 13 games including 2 wins IIRC

In 13 games in the same period Wednesday have gleaned 21 points from 39, including 6 wins and giving themselves a fighting chance of survival after looking doomed all season.

Compared to us that’s good form

They will be up for it with the backing of 7000 fans tomorrow so unless we’re in the right frame of mind too and play much better at Ewood than we have been  I still don’t see how you “expect” us to win

You know how this is going to pan out. We’ll go to Leicester on the last day needing a point at least to stay up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Szmodics has active interest from 2 current prem teams and is practically sold, I would be surprised if fees aren't as good as agreed. Also led to believe he doesn't actually want to leave but it's bound to happen....

A player aged nearly 29 who has played most of his career in the lower leagues doesn't want to treble his wages in the Prem?! Think again. 

23 minutes ago, alcd said:

A player aged nearly 29 who has played most of his career in the lower leagues doesn't want to treble his wages in the Prem?! Think again. 

Doesn't want to leave as in he loves the club.....obviously he's going to snap up the money

46 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Since Eustace took over Rovers have taken 13 points from 13 games including 2 wins IIRC

In 13 games in the same period Wednesday have gleaned 21 points from 39, including 6 wins and giving themselves a fighting chance of survival after looking doomed all season.

Compared to us that’s good form

They will be up for it with the backing of 7000 fans tomorrow so unless we’re in the right frame of mind too and play much better at Ewood than we have been  I still don’t see how you “expect” us to win

You know how this is going to pan out. We’ll go to Leicester on the last day needing a point at least to stay up

I think its not unreasonable to expect that you should be winning against second bottom at home. Doesnt mean we will, but a draw IMO would be underwhelming.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I get what you say about us and Eustace but my point is more that we should be aiming to beat the 2nd worst team in the league at home and not fearing them or saying we would accept a point.

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Well we couldn't bear the worst team at home could we? So why assume we can beat the 2nd worst?

Our record against the poor teams is shocking and our performances at home generally are dreadful.

Luckily results have mostly gone our way and we may already be safe. But I want us to put the issue to bed and we never do.

Just now, 47er said:

Well we couldn't bear the worst team at home could we? So why assume we can beat the 2nd worst?

Our record against the poor teams is shocking and our performances at home generally are dreadful.

Luckily results have mostly gone our way and we may already be safe. But I want us to put the issue to bed and we never do.

But failure to beat the worst team at home shouldnt be considered par for the course, it was a terrible result.

I dont doubt that we are not particularly good or that we may very well not win tomorrow. I just think that if we cant at least think such a fixture is winnable and anything other than a win is a huge disappointment, then there is something wrong.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But failure to beat the worst team at home shouldnt be considered par for the course, it was a terrible result.

I dont doubt that we are not particularly good or that we may very well not win tomorrow. I just think that if we cant at least think such a fixture is winnable and anything other than a win is a huge disappointment, then there is something wrong.

Nobody thinks tomorrow is unwinnable but its a matter of which team turns up, the team that won at Leeds or the team that was massacred at Bristol.

Our home record and our record v bottom teams is terrible. That's a fact.

Draw and we go above Stoke in 17th place and are safe for another season. That's all I care about.

Longer term the prospects look dire and we seem destined to lose more good players in the summer.

Whatever happens tomorrow our future looks grim. If Venkys don't sell we have had it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Come on, they need to win far more than we do. A draw isn’t a bad result at all 

• Like 1

• Backroom

We don’t make things easy as a club do we?

I’ve not been back to Ewood since my dad passed a year or so back, my wife said she tried to book tickets for me and my eldest as a surprise but couldn’t get through the website which kept throwing up issues.

I assume it’s to do with her not having a purchase history but still we seem to complicate things!

• Downvote 1