BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh, doomsday scenarios already? The guy hasn't even been appointed yet.

Can we have a sliver of optimism for a change? I know we've been burnt by Venky's one too many times but for the moment let's at least dare to dream, eh?

Toppers, do us a favour and dont use that phrase again please, it reminds me of another club.

Thanks.

Of course it's all made up from the Daily Mirror as they gear up for January and the daily rumour mill which keeps them in business.

Their story is laughable. They recognise we rejected £14 million from Middlesbrough in the summer yet don't see that as an obstacle.

Presumably they are upset we're on the cusp of an impressive series of coaching appointments and are trying to drag us back down.

Where's the evidence Wednesday can or will spend that money? How much did they spend on their squad overhaul last summer?

If it's indeed Lambert, the only real hopeful thing I can think of is that his career does indeed swim or sink with us. If he fails at Rovers, I doubt he is going to get to manage at the top level again for a very long time, if ever. He is going to have to give us his very best.

Ok. I'll be honest. I can't be bothered trekking back through multiple pages to find it, so who are the reported coaching staff that will be apointed with lambert if he is indeed appointed?

edit: drunk spelling! Ha ha

Alan Irvine as number two and Rob Kelly as coach. If I'm not mistaken.

Bit of information...

The old management team were sacked because Venkys want promotion THIS season. They felt this was Very unfair and unrealistic seeing as they've spent the last two windows under embargo and currently have 8 free transfers in the first team squad...

However they were expecting to be able to spend some money in January. With a view to a late charge!!...I just think the club lost faith.

The appointment of Lambert, Irvine and Kelly is pretty much a dream one. Expect money to be made available for a charge towards promotion this season!

I'd have taken Sherwood over Bowyer mainly because it was time for a change and we were going nowhere.. I wouldn't have been overly thrilled. It would be a much bigger gamble that appointing Lambert or Person, Moyse etc. If it is true that Sherwood was the first choice it's a bit worrying. It says to me that the advisor or whoever makes the decisions hasn't quite got it yet.

Ok thanks Mani for this info.

I agree Mani that bring in Lambert, Irvine, Kelly is a dream one and one I didnt think we could attract here with our current owners in place.

On Sherwood, I dont think the story is right.

This Venky's advisor appear to have want Promotion on their manager's cv according to Alan Nixon.

Apparently Sherwood received a 2M payout from Villa, but it ends if he took up employment within a year of his sacking. Hence his rejection of Rovers offer!

Can't say I am sorry!

Finally, Venkys attitude to promotion this season worries me. Its not impossible but its highly unlikely and no new manager should have to face such an expectation in his first season with us after years of neglect(to put it mildly).

So, congrats Venkys but don't stuff it up with undue pressure to rectify immediately what YOU caused over 5 long years.

I find it laughable 5 years on the venkys suddenly want promotion. If they had wanted promotion at any point previously they would have sacked kean, not appointed berg, not appointed Appleton and not appointed bowyer. Is 5 years the point they've had enough.

Ironically had they left well alone and kept fat Sam we would still be a prem club and never needed promotion in the first place. But still if they land lambert (bit worrying sherwood was 1st choice if managers of his pedigree fancy it) then deep festering wounds caused by them may start to heal. I can never forgive them but could start to forget particularly if this new found ambition and sanity translates into appointing a proper board of directors

I find it laughable 5 years on the venkys suddenly want promotion. If they had wanted promotion at any point previously they would have sacked kean, not appointed berg, not appointed Appleton and not appointed bowyer. Is 5 years the point they've had enough.

Ironically had they left well alone and kept fat Sam we would still be a prem club and never needed promotion in the first place. But still if they land lambert (bit worrying sherwood was 1st choice if managers of his pedigree fancy it) then deep festering wounds caused by them may start to heal. I can never forgive them but could start to forget particularly if this new found ambition and sanity translates into appointing a proper board of directors

Amazingly they have ALWAYS wanted promotion and have never refused to sign a single cheque!!

They were just soooooo badly advised. Got into bed with the wrong man...and we're still suffering!!

Anyone read Big Sam's book? Read it...and read between the lines in terms of who was actually in charge in terms of the direction of the club.

I'm not sure that Allardyce would have stayed beyond the ending of his contract which was at the end of the season he was sacked. I have just finished his autobiography (and I would recommend it) and it sounds like he was annoyed at John Williams when he was refused permission to speak to a club in Dubai who were offering him a kings ransom. He also wanted more money to take Rovers to the next level and it sounded like he wasn't going to get it. That particular episode sounded like his situation at Bolton which ultimately led to him leaving.

Thanks Mani for the info

What do you think has made them act now rather than last season when we were drifting out of touch with the playoffs? If they had acted in January this year we might have made a late run last season. Bowyer used all his lives up?

Apparently Sherwood received a 2M payout from Villa, but it ends if he took up employment within a year of his sacking. Hence his rejection of Rovers offer!

Can't say I am sorry!

Finally, Venkys attitude to promotion this season worries me. Its not impossible but its highly unlikely and no new manager should have to face such an expectation in his first season with us after years of neglect(to put it mildly).

So, congrats Venkys but don't stuff it up with undue pressure to rectify immediately what YOU caused over 5 long years.

Maybe they know it is unlikely but recognise to make this happen next season , we need change now. They may even fear relegation - now they get the concept 😊

I hope this all works out, it's such a left field, common sense decision by them. Experience and qualified for the role at last...but with the bonus of depth of a backroom staff and a fresh approach - I feel like when we signed Bellamy (I was a massive fan of him!) We deserve a break from boredom and madness and I want to see belief and an atmosphere back at Ewood.

Fingers crossed.

Bit of information...

The old management team were sacked because Venkys want promotion THIS season. They felt this was Very unfair and unrealistic seeing as they've spent the last two windows under embargo and currently have 8 free transfers in the first team squad...

However they were expecting to be able to spend some money in January. With a view to a late charge!!...I just think the club lost faith.

The appointment of Lambert, Irvine and Kelly is pretty much a dream one. Expect money to be made available for a charge towards promotion this season!

It's been known for 18 months or more, and mentioned several times by myself, Bowyer had targets:

2013/14 top ten finish

2014/15 top six finish

2015/16 promotion

Bowyer and his team can have no complaints about their failure in 2014/15 and failure to build a squad capable of at least challenging for promotion.

I'm not sure that Allardyce would have stayed beyond the ending of his contract which was at the end of the season he was sacked. I have just finished his autobiography (and I would recommend it) and it sounds like he was annoyed at John Williams when he was refused permission to speak to a club in Dubai who were offering him a kings ransom. He also wanted more money to take Rovers to the next level and it sounded like he wasn't going to get it. That particular episode sounded like his situation at Bolton which ultimately led to him leaving.

I am getting Big Sam's Autobiography for christmas of the missus.

Archived