BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

5 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

On his debut at Ewood Evans smashed in a 20-25 yard volley. Haven't seen him hit a decent shot since.

That volley only went in because it took a huge deflection!

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Then you might just have lost a bit of the team spirit.

Dropping promoted players straight away...no good reason. The squad wouldn't have that. I think TM will phase Bell in and one or two others.  It's a long season and the lads that got us up at least need to get the first game.

Not sure i buy that, especially with Evans & Samuel, they weren't key players last season.

If we go into this season scared to replace a couple of the weak links with better players because of "team spirit" then we will deserve to struggle, that would be really weak management.

• Like 2

Before the game I’d have taken a point, I’d have been pleased to see good organisation and high intensity and good fitness levels. All those boxes were ticked.

My concerns would be giving away bad goals in this league will hurt you, goal difference relegated us last time! Also a concern would be playing the lads on the wings who don’t have any sort of defensive mindset, Nyambe and Williams got roasted at times yesterday.

A few purchases this week all ready to make the match day squad is very much needed.

Watching the highlights closely I feel Williams more at fault for the first goal as compared to Mulgrew. Lenihan already had the man in front of him covered. There was a man behind Mulgrew and a man behind Williams (Who scored). Williams clearly thought Mulgrew was not in a position to take care of the front man as he was tracing back when the guy jumped in an attempt to head the cross. Which is why he rushed forward and jumped when the cross came in. Its different that the cross left both of them stranded and the Guy at the back scored from the header. My gripe with Williams is he should have trusted Mulgrew to take care of the man charging and stuck with the man behind him. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, punerover said:

Watching the highlights closely I feel Williams more at fault for the first goal as compared to Mulgrew. Lenihan already had the man in front of him covered. There was a man behind Mulgrew and a man behind Williams (Who scored). Williams clearly thought Mulgrew was not in a position to take care of the front man as he was tracing back when the guy jumped in an attempt to head the cross. Which is why he rushed forward and jumped when the cross came in. Its different that the cross left both of them stranded and the Guy at the back scored from the header. My gripe with Williams is he should have trusted Mulgrew to take care of the man charging and stuck with the man behind him. Any thoughts?

Totally agree. 2 Rovers defenders on 1 Ipswich player, ball went over all of them and unmarked Ipswich player had a free header. Williams should have covered his man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

As much as I like Mowbray, I think he messed up the first substitution today. Bringing Palmer on when winning was unnecessary. To put him out on the left took him away from his natural position but crucially, caused Bennett to move from the left to the right. Without the hard working Bennett in front of him, Williams was left dreadfully exposed and completely at the mercy of the dangerous Edwards who made mincemeat of him. I suggested to my son after Palmer had been on only a matter of minutes that I felt Mowbray would be regretting the change and would probably like to hook Palmer but wouldn't want to destroy his confidence by doing so. 

He then took Dack off purely to move Palmer away from the role he couldn't perform and to save face by putting him centrally, off the striker. 

The net result of unnecessary substitutions was that there was no one left to replace the obviously injured Bennett in the closing minutes. Also the talismanic Dack was sat twiddling his thumbs in the stands (at least, that's what it looked like!)

It was an uncharacteristic error of judgement by Mowbray but I think he must really rate Palmer which is pleasing to know.

Yes. We were comfortable till those substitutions. Graham fair enough, I guess this is a weekly arrangement to bring him off around the hour mark but the Dack substitution was mind- boggling.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

That late goal must have hurt but we've been on the wrong end of them too often in recent years, it was nice to have it for ourselves and deny the opposition for a change.    I'm guessing there must have been some random profanities, curses and rolling of eyes when that second goal arrived.    I'm not wrong am I ?   Never mind, crap happens so they say and once again we've had enough instances of being in that situation.     Perhaps a point each was eventually fair regardless of how it eventually arrived.     

Opening day always seem to be tough, you never know quite what to expect and there's always some players too eager to make an impression (particularly new signings) and errors will arise and focus isn't always maintained, I think we were both guilty of that this afternoon.      I'm not hoping for much this season, whether it's Paul Hurst, Jock Stein or Bob Paisley in charge of team affairs from now on, the fact remains our squad is nowhere near good enough to compete with other more prepared clubs of this division, add to that the "minor concern" of an owner who doesn't seem to want to bring any exciting names in / invest properly in the team.   Sure we have some new players in, but who are these kids ?   Nearly "all" I've never even heard of.    I don't think this is a solution to a long-standing problem.

So, now today is done with and we look back on what might have been, a draw seems fair.   Obviously both would have wanted the three point start but beggars can't be choosers.    Hope those who made it down had a safe journey back, took some time to sample the Town during their visit.     At the end of the day (in the true literal sense) both clubs came away with something, wasn't the best start for either but honours even, I think we'll take it.

Thanks mate - nice to have a reasoned poster from other clubs on the board - hopefully you set the trend this season.

We would have all taken a point before the game so cannot complain but as you will know, the manner and timing of your equalizer still hurts.

You must be happy with that Edwards chap? Many on here wanted us to snap him up after his performances against us last season and judging by the game, he will have no problems stepping up to the championship and already looks to be your best player. He will go for big bucks in a season or two judging by the crazy fees being paid.

Scrappy game in the first 10 minutes with the ball in the air so much but was crazy that you scored with your first chance and then we scored from our first two chances. We usually like to get it down and play but are lacking in CM, need someone in there that can play it around a bit rather than two workhorses. 

Anyhow, wish you guys the best of luck for the season (apart from at Ewood).

Dack didnt look pleased to come off.

Palmer seemed to try to hard I feel. The ironically when he had an easy chance he made a hash of it. Those videos of him lashing the ball into the net in training and we got a tame effort straight at the keeper.

Still, he needs time to get up to speed and I am sure he will show what he can do. 

Bennett puts a shift in and offers more protection to Williams but going forward he is a bit of a liability - would rather see him in the middle really probably as a replacement to one of Smallwood or Evans and bring in Davenport or Travis alongside him. We had very little quality in the middle with Evans and Smallwood being two similar players. 

I thought Nyambe had a very solid game but then again, they sent all their attacks down our right side with Edwards against Williams. Nyambe is good on the ball and has some very good feet for a fullback and think he will develop into a very good player. He has come on a long way and i know he got a lot of criticism in the past but i really like how he has turned out. 

Both our goals were well worked, particularly the second which was created by an excellent bit of skill from Graham who shows that he really is an intelligent player. I dont think Williams planned to run past him but that ball forced him to and fair play to Williams as he put it on a plate for Dack who really could not miss.

• Like 1

Its good result from debut in Championships, should have won match, poor goal to concede at 90 minutes, feeling sorry for travel fans.

Millwall FC at Ewood Park next week, we should be winning.

In Tony we trust.

17 minutes ago, Mark45 said:

Its good result from debut in Championships, should have won match, poor goal to concede at 90 minutes, feeling sorry for travel fans.

Millwall FC at Ewood Park next week, we should be winning.

In Tony we trust.

Shouldn't underestimate Millwall. Did very well last season and for much of yesterday were leading 2-0 against one of the most fancied and well funded teams in the league. Won't be a cakewalk.

Felt like defeat didn't it?

The starting line-up was as expected given the same 11 beat Everton 3-0, plus Davenport was injured and Palmer not match fit. I feared for Williams against Edwards who impressed for PBoro. Our problem on the left side of defence is the lack of pace. Mulgrew doesn't have the pace to cover properly for Williams. Another issue with Williams for me is that far too often drifts in as a third centre back, leaving the right winger with too much space. His positioning for the first goal was wrong as people have mentioned. Did well for the second goal though, picking out Dack there is not as easy as it seems, needs to get the angle and power correct.

We didn't create much, but was very effective and Palmer should've buried the game. Still we looked solid only to be undone by a fluke goal. Ipswich overloaded the midfield and it was hard for us to play through the middle and get Dack involved. Needed to utilise the wings and I think Armstrong would've been perfect to threathen the channels. Samuel was back at his worst after a couple of good preseason games. Hurst is trying to build a League One all-star team which seems like smart idea. Edwards is an excellent signing and Harrison is an handful although I don't think he has a lot of goals in him. They looked however very much as a work in progress and we were far better organized.

I would've taken the a point before the game. We will not be at full force before getting our signings done, match fit and bedded in. So probably looking at september before you see the Championship version of Rovers. If we can pick up points in the meantime things are looking ok.

• Like 3

No team is more solidly Championship level than Ipswich so it was a good performance by a starting XI of Rovers who were all a level lower last season. For all the gripes, we were easily as good as Ipswich so that portends comfortable survival this season which I think we should all be grateful for.

If you want to single players out for gripes- Palmer and Nuttall really should be making convincing efforts to score when they find themselves in the positions they did in the last 15 minutes (or at any time in any game regardless of the score line). Those two non-efforts were when we put the two additional points in peril. 

The amount of transfer business to be done before close of window on Thursday by every club in the division could make it a whole new league come Saturday kick-off. Getting ahead of myself but had Armstrong and not Samuel being playing yesterday, Rovers would have been a dramatically more dangerous proposition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not sure i buy that, especially with Evans & Samuel, they weren't key players last season.

If we go into this season scared to replace a couple of the weak links with better players because of "team spirit" then we will deserve to struggle, that would be really weak management.

I don't think you understand management sorry.  Tony should drop them because they are "weak" ?  They've both done nothing wrong as of the beginning of yesterday's game except help us to promotion at the first time of asking.

I'm the first one to think Williams , Samel and Evans won't be playing as much this season but TM has to manage the situation with the dressing room too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Agree that Palmer should have done better with that chance, but the way people were going on here, it sounded like he was a yard out with no keeper ?

He was six yards out and the keeper was flat on the ground. A chip at arm level beyond the defender on the line either goes in or gets a penalty and a red card.

Having said that, Nutall's non-effort heading backwards was far worse.

Edited by philipl

• Backroom
40 minutes ago, philipl said:

No team is more solidly Championship level than Ipswich so it was a good performance by a starting XI of Rovers who were all a level lower last season. For all the gripes, we were easily as good as Ipswich so that portends comfortable survival this season which I think we should all be grateful for.

Whilst this would have been accurate for the past five seasons or so when Ipswich were managed by Mick McCarthy, there's a lot more uncertainty with Paul Hurst in the dugout. A McCarthy team beats us comfortably yesterday imo. No way Dack is in acres of space for the goal he scored if Mick is in charge. Ipswich are tipped by many to go down so all it's proven so far, imo, is that we're at least equal to a fellow relegation rival.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we need players but we wont be bottom 6. around the 14th place for me, maybe even better. 

I was gutted but I choose to always look at the positives instead of the negatives. 

Most keepers at this level make errors pal, that's just the way it is. I wouldn't be getting of him/dropping him after 1 championship game. Its about trusting Raya and backing him he will get better. 

What are Stockdale wages and fee be? plus why has Monk decide to drop both senior keepers for a under 23 keeper?

You are allowed to say that you are gutted, you said you werent before! I was pretty happy with the performance, I watched the game

Not the amount that he needs, I never said we should get rid or drop him, but he needs to know that if he continues, patience can only go so far if he starts costing us points. Like anyone else.

8 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I was beyond disappointed with the 'efforts' of Nuttall when he came on. For a young lad trying to make his mark to show such lethargy and lack of application is shocking. He needs bombing out quickly.

I thought Nuttall was putting the effort in but he's just way out of his depth, by about 4 levels. His Rovers career will be short lived if TM's plans going forward are supported from above.

Just got back, I enjoyed the game if not the result. If we play like that all season we will be fairly safe, maybe a bit more if we can cut out the sloppy goals (two examples yesterday). I was talking to some Ipswich fans in the pub after the game, and all where surprised by the Rovers aggression. They said that they did not mean that we where dirty, but we challenged for every ball and put in a great amount of effort. Being biased as fans are, I thought we should have won, they thought they could have won. Onwards and upwards. I also totally agree with earlier posts about mistaken substitutions. I thought Palmer was all tricks and flicks when he came on . We needed some one to get and keep the ball, maybe by drawing fouls. But what we got was possession being lost mid way into their half and them gaining impetus.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just got back, I enjoyed the game if not the result. If we play like that all season we will be fairly safe, maybe a bit more if we can cut out the sloppy goals (two examples yesterday). I was talking to some Ipswich fans in the pub after the game, and all where surprised by the Rovers aggression. They said that they did not mean that we where dirty, but we challenged for every ball and put in a great amount of effort. Being biased as fans are, I thought we should have won, they thought they could have won. Onwards and upwards. I also totally agree with earlier posts about mistaken substitutions. I thought Palmer was all tricks and flicks when he came on . We needed some one to get and keep the ball, maybe by drawing fouls. But what we got was possession being lost mid way into their half and them gaining impetus.

Have just about recovered after my trip back last night. This is spot on for me.

Thought Graham and Dack played well. The substitutions really caused us problems though. Palmer looked skilful but quite naive and gave the ball away a couple of times to invite pressure. I’m sure there is much more to come from him though.

Overall a promising start though and some potential for a decent season.

• Like 2