BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mercer said:

Perhaps the conversation with Venky's went something like this 'if we authorise the deal you are going to play him, Mr Mowbray, aren't you - unlike Brereton?'  Cough, cough, splutter, splutter 'of course, Madam'.

As a result, IMO, we will see Graham back at Fulham and Gallagher shunted out wide again.

Yep, we need defenders but the role of Mowbray, Venus and Lowe is to feckin optimise what we have!  Good organisation and tactics go a long, long way.  They should be drilled, drilled and driiled time and again  in training until their b@lls drop off.

Even with what we have at the back, we look so disorganised and vulnerable and that, IMO, is down to a lack of quality coaching. 

We do alright, but these are experienced pros who have made it this far in their careers, I would expect them to know how to organis things themselves and defend. Defending is simple, yet we can't do it well. It's recruitment and playing people out of position or past their sell by date. Either way, it's on the manager now. 

The Gallagher out wide thing is going to drive me mad. How he can start there ahead of Rothwell is completely beyond me. I don't mind Downing starting. I think he's a good footballer. Armstrong could have started up front yesterday, with Rothwell in his place. He got the selection so, so wrong. 

Reading the managers comments post match yesterday, I have absolutely zero faith that he can recognise the problem we have.

Come January people will be able to point to the date very clearly where we chucked away any chance at the play-offs and instead find ourselves in a relegation battle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Correct.

We need to replace Bell immediately.

The only options are Williams (he is worse than Bell at LB) or Downing.

At CB we have Lenihan, Toshin, Williams, Nyambe who should all be before Mulgrew in the pecking order, not to mention Magloire.

For sure we need to strengthen CB and ship a couple out but LB is a priority.

And Hart and Grayson; both our best options at left back. But that wouldn't be hard.

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Gallagher out wide thing is going to drive me mad. How he can start there ahead of Rothwell is completely beyond me.

Gallagher started up front in the centre - it was only in the second half he moved to the wing - by which time Rothwell was on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The MINIMUM expectation this season is the play offs. Nothing less.

Giving someone a go isn't a sound plan when we only have a few days left in the transfer window.

We need proper proven quality players.

There are cup games to give these lads a go and continue their growth.

Every league game is a MUST WIN game if we have any chance of meeting the target.

Yesterday we lost the first one.

No way is justified to expect top 6 as a minimum. The top 6 is the aim. For me as long as we’re there or thereabouts then we are on track. But that defence from yesterday will never deliver that in a million years.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Gallagher started up front in the centre - it was only in the second half he moved to the wing - by which time Rothwell was on.

Problem is, when he was up front, he still kept going out wide amd putting crosses into positions that he should have been in.

Over the pre-season games Elliott Bennett played 45 minutes against Barrow, 90 minutes v Rangers and 75 minutes v Blackpool.

Mulgrew played 75 minutes at Rangers, 45 minutes against Bury and 90 minutes v Blackpool

Bell played 60 minutes at Rangers, 45 at Bury and 15 minutes at Blackpool. 

I don't think that is sufficient.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Over the pre-season games Elliott Bennett played 45 minutes against Barrow, 90 minutes v Rangers and 75 minutes v Blackpool.

Mulgrew played 75 minutes at Rangers, 45 minutes against Bury and 90 minutes v Blackpool

Bell played 60 minutes at Rangers, 45 at Bury and 15 minutes at Blackpool. 

I don't think that is sufficient.

Minutes don’t matter. Bennett is a terrible RB and Mulgrew looks like his back legs are gone. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Minutes don’t matter. Bennett is a terrible RB and Mulgrew looks like his back legs are gone. 

Agree, but for me you need a settled defence with minutes together under the belt in pre-season. That way work can be done on at least trying to forge them into a coherent unit. Not only was the standard of pre-season poor but there was too much experimenting and messing about with players Mowbray has no intention of using rather than working on making the defence better,

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Agree, but for me you need a settled defence with minutes together under the belt in pre-season. That way work can be done on at least trying to forge them into a coherent unit. Not only was the standard of pre-season poor but there was too much experimenting and messing about with players Mowbray has no intention of using rather than working on making the defence better,

I understand to a certain extent. But they’ve probably played 100 games together. A couple more in preseason wouldn’t have changed much imo. Those two are done imo. 

I understand to a certain extent. But they’ve probably played 100 games together. A couple more in preseason wouldn’t have changed much imo. Those two are done imo. 

And Bell is just as bad. Turns his back on crosses, cowardly, and often looks lost dawdling on the ball rather than driving forward. Useless and needs replacing as much as anyone else.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

And Bell is just as bad. Turns his back on crosses, cowardly, and often looks lost dawdling on the ball rather than driving forward. Useless and needs replacing as much as anyone else.

Hmm...like I say, I think there’s a player in there. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they did replace him.

Hmm...like I say, I think there’s a player in there. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they did replace him.

As bad as Bennett at full back for me without the excuse of being out of position to compensate.

They are both incompetent in totally different ways. Bell is cowardly and flimsy, and also slow of mind and dimwitted. Bennett is all action, but rash, positionally negligent and ultimately tries to disguise his tactical inability by sliding in everywhere to show himself as committed.

• Like 3

I've not seen the game as I'm out in Spain at the moment but I've read every contribution thoroughly. Until we have a group of players who are prepared to work harder, run further, win more tackles, win more second balls, win more contested headers, show more guts and  fighting spirit in adversity etc  than our opponents we're going nowhere in this Division. On the few occasions we do this we usually come out on top. I've been saying this for a long, long while.  I can take being out skilled but I won't take being out enthused ! There seems to be a long term malaise at Ewood where from top to bottom people are prepared to just do enough and no more. Hands up how many people thought we'd get something out of yesterdays game when their second goal went in ? Most of us knew barring a fluke that was game over. We also knew that if we'd have gone 2-1 up we would have spent the rest of the game hanging on.  Why is that ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think there's a strong argument for a whole new back 4 - although I think Nyambe should be brought back at rb. 

Even Lennihan is replaceable.  Which leads me onto to Dack - poor preseason and pretty anonymous yesterday.  Time to sell?

I think the time to sell Dack was two months ago when time would have been available to source and persuade new players to join. I know now that if he was sold tomorrow the money would disappear or be stated as already committed to what's been brought in already

Dack is mercurial but take him away there is absolutely zero creativity yes it might allow a different system and maybe two up top at times but again zero quality to create and zero on the wings apart from maybe some cameos from Chapman now and again.

Rothwell could be the answer but his style is different and head down, probably gives Mowbray nightmares.

• Like 2

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Tony has already said Hart will be staying in the squad this year; I don't think he'll be hanging around to make the tea. 

That's very true, would put Rothwell out of a job.

• Like 1