BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

50 minutes ago, DE. said:

Should that be the case then I'm sure Mowbray, being the honest and transparent man that we are told repeatedly he is, will enlighten us on why we've been able to spend £5m on a striker - despite already having quite a few on the books - but were unable to spend anything on the one area of the pitch that desperately needed it and that he assured us would be addressed. "Defensively we're alright" doesn't cut it. 

Kinda reminds me of a bloke you meet in the pub. 

I'm honest mate, you can trust me etc. 

Would you? 

Time to forget about Ffp. We've spent net £15 million since last summer and not sold anyone and havent broken the rules. Plenty of space in there to sign a couple of decent defenders.

This isnt a Ffp issue, it isnt a wages or cash issue. It is a policy issue. Either the owners will not allow cash to be spent on defenders (go and look at the list of defenders we've signed under their ownership) or the manager has chosen  to not address the defence. It's one or the other or both. 

Excuses like Ffp, missing our targets, sob stories about the tough transfer market - all cover stories to shield the owners and manager from a failure to deal with the big issue.

They've made their choice between them and unless we do something unexpected in the next 3 days then we're going to have to live with the consequences and Mowbray will be in the crosshairs.

• Like 3

Frustratingly people we've missed out on like Bauer (sp?) were on free transfers so it's not exactly like that would have been a big hole in the budget. 

Numbers wise - not quality - we've a ton of midfielders and strikers, yet are thin on the ground on defenders and that's before you get into assessing their quality or lack of. Poor do really. 

57 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe says he’s not ducking the questioning of Mowbray on the need for defenders. But I’m yet to see he or anyone else quiz him properly on the 180 he’s done from season end to now where we’re supposedly ‘defensively alright’. Did Mulgrew, Bell and Bennett turn into Baresi, Maldini and Costacurta over the summer? Because evidence would suggest they haven’t.

And I don't think they will anytime soon either. It will be down to the fans to do that at the next forum whenever that is. Hopefully soon.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But I'm confused because after Gallagher was signed Mowbray claimed we hadn't touched the Raya cash. 

I honestly think Mowbray doesn't know the true situation from one day to the next. That's not particularly a criticism of him, it's the way the club is run.

Both Mowbray and Waggott stated, more than once, that our summer transfer budget was similar to last year - that should mean there is a few million left and the Raya money on top. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I am convinced Venky's decided that Gallagher would be the only signing with a significant fee attached. All other deals this window must be free or very cheap and not increase the overall wage bill compared to last year.

We can debate all day long about needing new defenders - there is no argument there - Venky's aren't listening and even if they were they wouldn't understand. To them players are like stocks and shares. Strikers could result in a nice dividend in the future. Defenders? dead money to them.

VO

Available on free transfers:

Johan Larsson rb (29 years old)

Michel Vorm (gk) 35 years old

Younes Kaboul (centre back) 33 years old and Joel Lynch 31 year old centre back.

Has Lewis Holtby got a club yet?

Would these players improve our squad?

• Like 1

Just now, TruRover said:

I was a big TM supporter even after the collapse in form last season.

But this summer he has absolutely blown it. A new defence and GK was needed and if anything it’s gone backwards. We don’t play our best RB, we’re starting with the defender who was purposely dropped, and let’s not get started on bell. Then to the GK, we sell Raya a keeper with massive potential along with the pull of coming through our own academy, and replaced him with a worse/same ability keeper (hope he proves me wrong) and most importantly a player who isn’t even ours. We spend 5m on a striker who is 6’4, which gives his 7million signing of BB very little chance of any impact this season. Furthermore 6,4 strikers are not wide players. Crucially for me, TM has gone back on his word with the famous line ‘defenders are coming’. The only signing who has made sense is Johnson, and fair play to him he is exactly what we need, but it isn’t enough. Also, cannot see one out and out wide player in our entire squad aside from chapman,  and let’s be real TM isn’t gonna regularly start him. Our squad is incredibly unbalanced. And if we were starting the summer now I would think there was a lot of work to be done to get it ready to even challenge the top 10, let alone get promoted. I’m telling u now this season is nothing but midtable for us. We’ve blown it before it’s already begun. 

It genuinely pains me to say because he has done a lot for this club and he clearly has the club in his best interests but i want him gone, I just cannot understand his thinking. Our transfer business has been awful. We’ve got a great crop of players who are at a really good age, with the right gaps being filled we could really challenge and I hope he proves me wrong but I just can’t see it. Furthermore the venkys seem to really trust him so can’t see him going anywhere

Ok rant over. Apologies for the negativity, still don’t think I’m over the disappointment of Saturday.

Spot on post.

• Like 1

Just now, TruRover said:

But this summer he has absolutely blown it. A new defence and GK was needed and if anything it’s gone backwards. We don’t play our best RB, we’re starting with the defender who was purposely dropped, and let’s not get started on bell. Then to the GK, we sell Raya a keeper with massive potential along with the pull of coming through our own academy, and replaced him with a worse/same ability keeper (hope he proves me wrong) and most importantly a player who isn’t even ours. We spend 5m on a striker who is 6’4, which gives his 7million signing of BB very little chance of any impact this season. Furthermore 6,4 strikers are not wide players. Crucially for me, TM has gone back on his word with the famous line ‘defenders are coming’. The only signing who has made sense is Johnson, and fair play to him he is exactly what we need, but it isn’t enough. Also, cannot see one out and out wide player in our entire squad aside from chapman,  and let’s be real TM isn’t gonna regularly start him. Our squad is incredibly unbalanced. And if we were starting the summer now I would think there was a lot of work to be done to get it ready to even challenge the top 10, let alone get promoted. I’m telling u now this season is nothing but midtable for us. We’ve blown it before it’s already begun. 

It genuinely pains me to say because he has done a lot for this club and he clearly has the club in his best interests but i want him gone, I just cannot understand his thinking. Our transfer business has been awful. We’ve got a great crop of players who are at a really good age, with the right gaps being filled we could really challenge and I hope he proves me wrong but I just can’t see it. Furthermore the venkys seem to really trust him so can’t see him going anywhere

Ok rant over. Apologies for the negativity, still don’t think I’m over the disappointment of Saturday.

Top Ten is extremely optimistic with this defence, we will ship 69 goals+ this season because they were not good enough last season and surprise, surprise, they are not good enough this season and in my view the 3 promoted teams last year have been replaced by 3 relegated teams who are better. 

TM needs better defenders certainly centrally and both full back positions although the right back is probably replaceable from our own squad.  

If he does not do something very quickly then we can expect to take some batterings and TM can expect to be in the job centre by Christmas.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Can see a lot happening late for many clubs. Really don’t enjoy the modern transfer window at all! 

I don't enjoy it because I've no hope or expectation of anything positive happening for us. 

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't enjoy it because I've no hope or expectation of anything positive happening for us. 

If we spent 7m in the last few days on a 19 year old defender, I wouldn’t be that surprised.

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

Take a bow. 

• Like 2

Plenty of frees that could improve our back line

gk- Archer, al habsi, vorm

rb- Danny Simpson, Johan larsson, Petkovic, Adam Mathews 

cb- schwaab, James Collins, pejcinovic, Ashley williams

lb- Martin olsson 

some very good strikers and central mids too but we aren’t in the market for those. 

Most logical for me would be to get olsson back for left back 

• Like 6

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Plenty of frees that could improve our back line

gk- Archer, al habsi, vorm

rb- Danny Simpson, Johan larsson, Petkovic, Adam Mathews 

cb- schwaab, James Collins, pejcinovic, Ashley williams

lb- Martin olsson 

some very good strikers and central mids too but we aren’t in the market for those. 

Most logical for me would be to get olsson back for left back 

Olsson at left back would be a great signing.

• Like 3

Just now, Tormund said:

Why haven’t anyone been in for Olsson yet?

Injured around Feb/March with Swansea, achilles rupture.

As Swansea aren't as benevolent to injured players as we are, ( Gladwin), contract not renewed , getting fit without a club, is very difficult.

Edited by blondie
Add info