BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

The keeper looks like one who would benefit from coming to a club working with other good keepers and coach in order to help the step up.

That's where we fall short so it'll be another up and down ride with this lad i reckon.

47 minutes ago, Prelude said:

Loved that looks very good! As you say a little worrying that he often parrys into danger but some great saves there, he looks like he spreads his body well for one on ones and will be a sweeper keeper and his distribution is quick and looks for the attacker! Armstrong is going to love him! Looks very promising going on that vid!

He's does look very good in those clips and others. Like hope its works out that way. 

The distribution is going to key part of us counter attacking teams from Set pieces. Walton was far too negative and slow in distribution

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He clearly can handle that side of the game. He put his foot in at Fleetwood at few times. Being slight of build doesn't mean he's soft. 

Being slight doesn't necessarily mean he's soft but his performances show that he is. He looks like a boy in a man's game most of the time. I thought that him and Brereton were comfortably our 2 poorest performers yesterday.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

The keeper looks like one who would benefit from coming to a club working with other good keepers and coach in order to help the step up.

That's where we fall short so it'll be another up and down ride with this lad i reckon.

step up? 

He has been playing Europa league football and top flight in Belgium. 

why so negative Tops?

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Being slight doesn't necessarily mean he's soft but his performances show that he is. He looks like a boy in a man's game most of the time. I thought that him and Brereton were comfortably our 2 poorest performers yesterday.

Clearly miss Fisher performance then?

The success of our academy is surely based on the either the number who can become genuine parts of the first team squad for a notable period, or who get sold for decent money. 

Jones was an exception, few clubs outside the big 6 will develop players through the academy who they take. 

Hanley, Raya - two who had decent game time for us and sold for decent amounts. 

Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis - essential to our first team.

JRC, Buckley, Wharton - look likely to be part of the squad this season. 

Carter, Magloire, Grayson, Butterworth, Vale - could reasonably be around the squad this season. 

Can't see how anyone could expect much more. 

• Like 4

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

step up? 

why so negative Tops?

I see where tomphil is coming from to some extent. He looks like a solid addition on paper but I know that our goalkeeping coaching isn’t very good. I hope that doesn’t hinder him like it has done so with others in recent times!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, alex l said:

Carter, Magloire, Grayson, Butterworth, Vale - could reasonably be around the squad this season. 

And thats the problem. We will never go up with all these in and around the squad.  Couple of key injuries and we are goosed proper.  

Add in Del, Bell and Ell......what a crock of poo. Mowbray must go 

I'm not a fan of academies.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

We sold a player to Leicester?  Sorry, but can't recall - who was it?

As for PL interest, don't recall seeing or hearing about a single offer from a PL club for any of our Academy players - think that's a decent gauge of interest.

At least get your facts right.  If you can find supporting posts (covering say summers of 2017, 2018 and 2019) of me "pronouncing imminent Administration/Liquidation every summer", I'll buy you a pint or whatever your tipple is.  

Brennan had premier league interest before he signed a new deal 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Don't believe that for a minute.  There's 16 year olds at most premier league clubs better than Buckley.  No pace or strength. People remark on his ability, but all footballers have ability, his is nothing special 

75F5776F-1F20-49AF-BDA1-CAC0017C4BCE.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

FFS, I thought I'd missed another Phil Jones type sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can dress it up any way you like but, IMO, we are not producing quality young players who are smashing down the doors to our first team.

We have Lenihan aged 26 and Travis going on 23 who are decent Championship players holding down places.

As far the rest, let's wait and see.

IMO, our Academy over the years has under performed.

Currently playing -

Raya, O’Connell, Hanley, Tarkowski, Judge, Nyambe, Trav, Mahoney, Lenihan, Hoilett, Garner, Olsson, Pilkington, Gallagher, Fielding

Off the top of my head. Well above the average academy output surely.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, alex l said:

The success of our academy is surely based on the either the number who can become genuine parts of the first team squad for a notable period, or who get sold for decent money. 

Jones was an exception, few clubs outside the big 6 will develop players through the academy who they take. 

Agree with you in the main. I don't expect Magloire and Grayson to feature in the squad, though I'd like them kept in the U23s to be there, if needed. I've been impressed by reports I've read of Lewis Thompson.

@SB & Blue Unfortunately, only three of the ones you list play for us.

We have Community Centre Ben, Colne have Chris Kirkland. I know who'd I'd rather have.

Edited by Richard Oakley

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Don't believe that for a minute.  There's 16 year olds at most premier league clubs better than Buckley.  No pace or strength. People remark on his ability, but all footballers have ability, his is nothing special 

You don't need strength to play his role. Its getting ridiculous people on about his stature, take it from someone who lifts heavy things, if our fitness lads felt he would benefit from bulking up they could easily do it

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Currently playing -

Raya, O’Connell, Hanley, Tarkowski, Judge, Nyambe, Trav, Mahoney, Lenihan

Off the top of my head. Well above the average academy output surely.

You seriously can't credit our Academy with Tarkowski who, if my memory is correct, left us at 13 or 14 !!!!

And out of that lot, you've one PL player - O'Connell who I think we gave away to Brentford for a box of crisps without having even given the lad a single chance (if I recall correctly).

Is that 9 players then in 10 years or more !?

2 hours ago, Prelude said:

The thing is regardless of opinons we will never know unless he plays him as a centre forward and not a winger or a false 9! 

He's got to be one of the worst finishers in the league.

You only need to compare the finishing ability of Armstrong, Dack and Graham from our own squad (Graham obviously no longer here) against him and he is no where near their level.

Playing him out wide won't help, that's fair enough but he doesn't look like a goalscorer at all.

46 minutes ago, alex l said:

Sensible post, the academy has done an excellent job, think there are some very decent lads coming through, as there has for a few years now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

step up? 

why so negative Tops?

This is one of the toughest leagues in Europe mate with games coming at you relentlessly so yes i think it's a step up in some ways.

Having said that i'll be pleased with the signing i think he might turn out to be a good one but he'll need time. Main concern is he doesn't go backwards once here as ther've been a few examples of that recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He clearly can handle that side of the game. He put his foot in at Fleetwood at few times. Being slight of build doesn't mean he's soft. 

I would say Buckley is quite happy to get stuck in and put a tackle in despite his stature.

But..he often gets physically dominated when in possession of the ball.  He was eased off it numerous times last season by more robust players. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You don't need strength to play his role. Its getting ridiculous people on about his stature, take it from someone who lifts heavy things, if our fitness lads felt he would benefit from bulking up they could easily do it

To play at a professional level like the premier league where everyone is an athlete, you need a certain strength that Buckley at the moment looks to be lacking.   Irrespective of the position.  And what exactly is his position, I don't see where he adds value to a starting 11

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2