BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bellamy

So we bought Bellamy for about 4million? I'd bet his signing-on fee was a good million or so for such a big signing. We won't be making much at all on the deal despite having helped resurrect his career after Souness helped put it on the skids.

It seems more and more like a loan signing. We don't gain or lose much financially from the signing itself but provided a temporary home for him to prove his fitness while we also benefitted by having an excellent forward for a year which meant we snatched a European place and improved markedly as a team.

Even if Bellamy does go for 6million (and it does rankle even so as he is worth much more) then Rovers have still had a great return on the signing. Although only here for a year Bellamy will be remembered fondly (his actions on the pitch at least, maybe not his interview style or off-the-pitch antics...) and even without him we'll look forward to the new season with much less trepidation than we were doing just twelve months ago before he signed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main thing is that people think that we are going to go back next year to either mid table Spurs and Villa territory or in a relegation fight without him.

The thing that is most dissapointing for me is everytime we get up there our players go forcing us to rebuild every 3 or 4 years.

Bellamy has a shot at being a Rovers legend at help take us to the next level.

To me he is pissing on that opportunity and therefore pissing on the club and it's supporters

One player doesn't make a team but the loss of players like Neill and Bellamy, after the club has stuck by them and poured money and soul into them to get them where they are or back up to where they have been, and the potential loses of Reid and Admiral rip our high goals for next year apart having an effect on everyone associated with the club, players, officials and fans alike.

It is a matter of respect.

The days of player lotalty have gone. Even so called players who have been life long supporters dont hang around when the pay master calls.

As far as signing players go these days, Ive come to the conclusion it is better to have loved than never loved at all, its just the break up can be painfull,

Bellamy has a shot at being a Rovers legend at help take us to the next level.

To me he is pissing on that opportunity and therefore pissing on the club and it's supporters

One player doesn't make a team but the loss of players like Neill and Bellamy, after the club has stuck by them and poured money and soul into them to get them where they are or back up to where they have been, and the potential loses of Reid and Admiral rip our high goals for next year apart having an effect on everyone associated with the club, players, officials and fans alike.

It is a matter of respect.

Correct

As far as signing players go these days, Ive come to the conclusion it is better to have loved than never loved at all, its just the break up can be painfull,

.....and don't we just get sick of being left with a broken heart.

I'm 52 years old and Blackburn Rovers can still make my stomach turn with emotion, still bring tears to my eyes.............I just wish the bloody footballers did the same.

On the clause.... remember it has been leaked out for a while now. Alan Oliver said Bellamy has told me he has clause in his contract blah blah.

And a few weeks ago even John Toshack (who is an idiot) mentioned it for no reason saying I believe he has a clause in his contract.

I find it it a bit strange people saying good on Bellamy for moving etc - fact is we are losing a top class player and not exactly getting adequately compensated in return. I would be surprised if Hughes is too happy about this as well considering the time he and his staff have invested in Bellamy.

On the clause.... remember it has been leaked out for a while now. Alan Oliver said Bellamy has told me he has clause in his contract blah blah.

And a few weeks ago even John Toshack (who is an idiot) mentioned it for no reason saying I believe he has a clause in his contract.

And you may ask yourself; How did these people come to know about "The Clause".

Could it be a brilliant way for Bellamy and his agent to put out a covert "Come and get me" statement. :ph34r:

Back to Conspiracy Central, completly unrelated to the above statement.

MH has engineered all this so that Liverpool is busy with Bellamy while he signs Kuyt under their noses. :rover:

Okay, I've decided... let's see if fan power works. I'm gonna lend a Liverpool shirt off somebody (I'll tell them I need it to clean my windows or something), head down to Anfield with a placard, look for a roving Sky reporter, and ham up a scouse accent. "Am protestin' cuz ah dont tink dis fine club shud be signin' people like Craig Bellamy!"

Knowing how much Scousers love railing against a good cause, I reckon a few of them will join me in playing the victim. "It's bang on lar, scousers gettin' da short end of da wedge as usual. Dis is part a' dat conspiracy against us down der in dat London." If I get enough publicity, Ian McCulloch and the cast of Brookside might even release a charity version of Ferry Cross The Mersey. Let's see Rafa try to sign Bellers up then!

AS, Rog of the Rovers, Kamy, any other scouse-based Rovers... care to join me?

Correct

I'm 52 years old and Blackburn Rovers can still make my stomach turn with emotion, still bring tears to my eyes.............I just wish the bloody footballers did the same.

They are not supporters like us, so how can the feel the same ? To them it is a place of work and they will go wherever they can earn the most money.

Just like anyone else really.

Nice sentiment but Bellamy was/is supposed to be a Liverpool fan Paul.

.............I just wish the bloody footballers did the same.

Poor phrasing on my part. I don't expect the players to feel the same way about the club. I mean I wish I could feel the same about the players as I do about the club. Rovers is my club, the players are just a bunch of mercenaries, with a few execeptions.

Interesting to see all these referances to Bellamy effectively being a loan. I was told by a friend of a friend a while ago that club officials had referred to Bellamy as a loan. At the time I took it as tittle tattle in the Blackburn area - with current events it makes you wonder whether the club have always been aware that there was a strong liklihood that Bellamy was using us as a stepping stone.

However - even if he was - it still sends out a good message - "career going down the pan, let Mark Hughes and Rovers rescue it for you" :D

I just hope that if Bellamy does go - he continues to sing the praises of Rovers - rather than putting the boot in. Whichever way you look at it - both parties have benefited from the arrangement - he has his career back on track, we have gained a profit on the transfer (though not as big as it should be), gained sixth place and had the benefit of one of the best strikers to put on a Rovers shirt for the last few years.

Wasn't there suppose to be a statement released by his agent now?

His agent issued a statement yesterday stating that they'd make a statement sometime this morning. That gives them just under two hours in my book to issue a statement although I wouldn't be surprised if that fails to materialise and they then deny that they even made any original statement regarding issuing a second statement.

His agent issued a statement yesterday stating that they'd make a statement sometime this morning. That gives them just under two hours in my book to issue a statement although I wouldn't be surprised if that fails to materialise and they then deny that they even made any original statement regarding issuing a second statement.

That made my head hurt :o

still time for the statement to be along the lines of, "Bellers remembers when he was the most reviled and villified footballer in the Premier League and his career was going down the pan, where was Liverpool then?"

Signed Hopeful (but rose-tinted bespectacled :unsure: )of Warrington

While he hasn't signed on the dotted line at Scumfield there is still hope. Lets hope Sav/Sparky & Bowen can convince him that we a re a club going forwards and that he can win things with us, maybe not the CL like he could win at Anfield but he'll never win the EPL with them, they are no match for Chelski even with Bellers.

Unrealistic I know but I wouldn't mind if he just agreed to stay for another 12 months....last season was the first time in a while I'd seen folk leaving Ewood with smiles on their faces.

I was also hoping and praying we would finally be able to hold our heads high in Europe.

** big sigh**

While he hasn't signed on the dotted line at Scumfield there is still hope. Lets hope Sav/Sparky & Bowen can convince him that we a re a club going forwards and that he can win things with us, maybe not the CL like he could win at Anfield but he'll never win the EPL with them, they are no match for Chelski even with Bellers.

Do you really hold any hope on that IHTD?

Put yourself in Bellamys shoes and think about it.

If everything is as said then we haven't a cat in hells chance of keeping hold of him - however I still find it hard to understand that things are progressing as reported whilst Bells is still on honeymoon.

I think with the benefit of hindsight club officials knew all along this was a glorified loan deal. As FLB says, if Bellamy received a substantial signing on fee when he joined, we won't have made much, if any, profit at all.

The disappointing thing as a fan is how we've been led up the garden path to a certain extent, in naturally assuming that Bellamy would be "our player" for a reasonable length of time (certainly beyond June 30th anyway) or that at worst if not we would be able to make a huge profit on him.

I don't blame Bellamy at all in this, if he or any other player is given the opportunity to take advantage they're going to take it. As tnr says players are just hired gunslingers and I think these days you can only really hope for any loyalty from a player who has come through the academy etc.

There are good and bad points to come out of this mess. The bad thing is that agents everywhere will have been watching developments with great interest and think that if their player is interested in joining Blackburn Rovers, they will be able to mess us about with all manner of silly clauses. Secondly how can fans ever be sure again that their favourite player won't be off at the drop of a hat? Contracts are really meant to be there for the club's protection as much as the player's benefit.

The good point is that those same agents will also have noticed that we (having realised our original mistake) offered him what we should have offered him in the first place to stay. A sum so large he's probably going to have to take a pay cut to join Liverpool! Who in the 1970's and 1980's in their wildest dreams would ever have thought that might come about! That should have decent pllayers sniffing round Ewood in the first instance.

Finally, it was a bit of extremely quick thinking on the club's part to introduce the "earlybird scheme". Can you imagine the bulk of ST sales starting on the back of Bellamy's cut price dparture? Would have been a bloodbath!

So see ya Craig, thanks for some wonderful memories, enjoy your signing on fee, frankly can't see you and Benitez being able to stand the sight of each other, see you back here in 12 months time!

I know these things are done over the phone - but out of interest how could Hughes meet Bellamy and his advisor the other day if Bellamy was still on holiday.

Also, Benitez said he wanted to meet CB face to face so how could Bellamy's agent say there could be a decision this morning....

Pretty irrelvant but just wondering...

Archived