BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season tickets again!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand corrected.

Btw ..... Can you remember the colour of their strip?

Turbo green? Was round about that time they had one that colour.

Ah for the days of a good preseason friendly!!

I noticed earlier that Derby have lined up a home friendly against Benfica and are also playing Utrecht and Zwolle in Holland.

I don't want to complain for the sake of it or come across as a moaner but it does annoy me when Championship rivals are getting games lined up against opposition of the calibre of Benfica whilst the best we can seemingly do is Wigan.

The other year Leicester and Bournemouth both played home friendlies against Real Madrid as Championship clubs. They filled their grounds and boosted the profiles of their clubs in attracting top clubs.

So all this nonsense about being in the Championship means we can't attract decent friendlies is made up.

Top European teams can be brought in. Its just that for some reason we don't appear to be particularly keen on doing it.

• Backroom

I noticed earlier that Derby have lined up a home friendly against Benfica and are also playing Utrecht and Zwolle in Holland.

I don't want to complain for the sake of it or come across as a moaner but it does annoy me when Championship rivals are getting games lined up against opposition of the calibre of Benfica whilst the best we can seemingly do is Wigan.

The other year Leicester and Bournemouth both played home friendlies against Real Madrid as Championship clubs. They filled their grounds and boosted the profiles of their clubs in attracting top clubs.

So all this nonsense about being in the Championship means we can't attract decent friendlies is made up.

Top European teams can be brought in. Its just that for some reason we don't appear to be particularly keen on doing it.

McClaren's connections in Holland, maybe?

Bowyer's connections in...Lancashire?

We discussed this at the Fans Forum last night. International teams nowadays all demand a significant fee to come over + generous expenses. Does anyone think we can attract enough people to pay enough money to cover these sort of costs?

We discussed this at the Fans Forum last night. International teams nowadays all demand a significant fee to come over + generous expenses. Does anyone think we can attract enough people to pay enough money to cover these sort of costs?

Fair point O2G.

The answer is a clear "NO".

There must be a benefit to attracting glamour games against the likes of Real Madrid. Otherwise clubs like Leicester and Bournemouth wouldn't have gone to the trouble of doing it. It seems to be more about growing the clubs and boosting their profiles across the world. Something I expected would happen when Venkys took over the club but hasn't done. Those clubs employ people to try and 'grow' their clubs by increasing their profiles, growing their fanbases and attracting major sponsors.

Bournemouth charged £50 a ticket for their game against Real Madrid and got a 11,000 sell out crowd.

Now I don't think Rovers could ever get away with charging £50 a ticket for a friendly, even if it was Real Madrid, but I would be confident of charging £20-25 per adult and getting 15,000+ on Ewood if it was Rovers' first team against Real Madrid or Barcelona first team.

People would come from far and wide to watch that, and it would probably pay for itself.

If it was done properly then it could be promoted far and wide and no doubt would even get people buying boxes and tv companies wanting to broadcast the game.

Now it turns out that Burton have secured a friendly against Benfica. Now I can understand the financial argument to some extent, I can't accept that Burton are able to attract better teams than we are, and can't accept that it is due to financial reasons.

Didn't Bournemouth charge about 50 quid a ticket for the Real Madrid game?

Edit - nope, 60 quid.

Talking Bournemouth, their cheapest ST is going to be £550 and £115 for kids, they are not going to redevelop the ground so 11.500 capacity, maybe they are going to move or think just a one season wonder

Talking Bournemouth, their cheapest ST is going to be £550 and £115 for kids, they are not going to redevelop the ground so 11.500 capacity, maybe they are going to move or think just a one season wonder

They'll be following the dingle route and just cashing in on it then collecting the parachutes. The rusky will have his investment back overnight and the club is probably set for life now as it is.

ST post arrived today, should I stay or should I go.......stay, nowt to moan about other than the weather over winter otherwise?

First thing my mate said is "things are going ok for me in life at the min so if I don't go Rovers I've nowt to moan about or fall out with people at work about " :)

We've all got to keep the faith, things ON the pitch aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things. They're bland for sure and I don't see it changing but you never know, that's what we cling to lol.

Archived