BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

Months of qualifying and weeks of warm up, we now have only three games. Woy picked a completely new line up for our first of them and then made awful substitutions.

Instead of trying to limp over the line he should have strengthened us. There is no place for Milner and there must be room for Vardy.

We always seem to try to counter other teams instead of taking the game to the opposition. We've been doing this for 40-odd years just because we didn't in 1970.

There have been two exceptions: 1990 and 1996 when we had managers with passion and imagination.

Now, will be admit he got it wrong and play Vardy instead of Kane or even Sterling? Or will the pride set in and he'll keep the same forward line?

Where does Vardy fit in a 4-3-3 formation?

Kane is your main centre striker. Vardy on the left?

You cant 4-4-2 formation at this level surely?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

People go on about the system, then saying we should have selected Vardy, but where? I hope these aren't the same people complaining about shoehorning players into the wrong positions...

People go on about the system, then saying we should have selected Vardy, but where? I hope these aren't the same people complaining about shoehorning players into the wrong positions...

Surely a manager with 40-odd years experience can find room for the Premier League's two top scorers? Or even substitute one for the other? It's hardly rocket science.

If Kane absolutely must play at all costs, how about - take off Sterling, bring Vardy on, and swap Lallana to the wing and move Rooney inside? That's just one option.

But to set up a team and not give yourself an option to bring on Vardy doesn't seem sensible. Playing Rooney on the left of a midfield three may have worked well for the most part but all of a sudden, unless you sub him you can't accommodate other players.

Nothing wrong with the formation, nothing wrong with the players selected or substitutions, we should been out is sight by the time the Russians scored and just conceded an unlucky goal.

We'll win the next 2 and get out the group, won't we?

Surely a manager with 40-odd years experience can find room for the Premier League's two top scorers? Or even substitute one for the other? It's hardly rocket science.

If Kane absolutely must play at all costs, how about - take off Sterling, bring Vardy on, and swap Lallana to the wing and move Rooney inside? That's just one option.

But to set up a team and not give yourself an option to bring on Vardy doesn't seem sensible. Playing Rooney on the left of a midfield three may have worked well for the most part but all of a sudden, unless you sub him you can't accommodate other players.

But is Vardy a left winger?

Lallana played wide right yesterday and drifting inside to allow Walker the space to move down the right wing

Nothing wrong with the formation, nothing wrong with the players selected or substitutions, we should been out is sight by the time the Russians scored and just conceded an unlucky goal.

We'll win the next 2 and get out the group, won't we?

Disagree. The substitutions cost us and the manager has to take responsibility for that. Russia should have been out of sight and we didn't take chances. A bad performance and a draw can we understood. A great performance and a draw is not acceptable in tournament football. We only have two more games - these will not be as easy as Russia last night.

Let's hope the players can pick themselves up. The manner of that result is a big blow. Contrast with Wales who had one of the luckiest goals you'll see but psychologically massive.

I have never seen an England team play better than that-----ever! And that includes 1966!

However, as everyone agrees,it should have been over long before that tragic extra time body blow.

Apart from 1 or 2 jittery moments in defence we were in complete control and running them ragged.

BUT----we didn't finish it off and I would have brought Vardy on with half an hour to go with instructions to "shoot on sight"!

Big opportunity missed but more than enough there to encourage us about the next week.

If we draw, then I suppose it'll be down to who out of us and Russia can beat Slovakia by the most goals. I don't see Wales having too many problems with this Russian team, and they won't let Russia back into the game as we did.

You say that but they let Slovakia back into the game yesterday and looked incredibly shaky for a good ten minutes after conceding. Wales scuffed one in, while we hit the post and got hit with a sucker punch, that's football for you. But if anyone is quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Wales then we deserve to be on the next flight home.

Chaddy.

I am doing my best to ignore your posts because, being blunt, I do not value your opinion.

As I am being required by the mods to ignore you and not respond in case you think you are being personally abused, therefore can you please stop replying to my posts, and ideally put me on ignore.

Thank you.

Most people would say that the initial team selection worked fine and first half we were superb. Second half it was becoming clear that several players - Kane, Sterling and Lallana were becoming ineffective or knackered. The subs he made should have put Russia on the back foot. Vardy, and/or Sturridge for 2 of those 3 would have forced the Russians to sit deeper. Woy didn't even use a third sub to run the clock down. Crap game management.

If Vardy is going to start then it has been on the left wing. Kane should be our main striker in 4-3-3 formation

You cant play 4-4-2 at international football.

Our players dont suit 3-5-2 as its a system very few are use to playing in.

Most English team play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation so thats the system we should play

The subs were what cost us, he had to either bring on Vardy to push for the 2nd or sure things up at the back, he did neither.

I think we should play the diamond

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Lallana Rooney

Alli

Kane Vardy

Not sure about Lallana's position but it's better than any team with raheem 'give the ball away' sterling

• Moderation Lead

Most people would say that the initial team selection worked fine and first half we were superb. Second half it was becoming clear that several players - Kane, Sterling and Lallana were becoming ineffective or knackered. The subs he made should have put Russia on the back foot. Vardy, and/or Sturridge for 2 of those 3 would have forced the Russians to sit deeper. Woy didn't even use a third sub to run the clock down. Crap game management.

Oh aye, I agree, to be fair that's exactly as I saw it!

The subs were what cost us, he had to either bring on Vardy to push for the 2nd or sure things up at the back, he did neither.

I think we should play the diamond

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Lallana Rooney

Alli

Kane Vardy

Not sure about Lallana's position but it's better than any team with raheem 'give the ball away' sterling

Not sure the diamond midfield works at this level. Maybe as Plan B?

Still feel the 4-3-3 formation is the right one for me

Chaddy.

I am doing my best to ignore your posts because, being blunt, I do not value your opinion.

As I am being required by the mods to ignore you and not respond in case you think you are being personally abused, therefore can you please stop replying to my posts, and ideally put me on ignore.

Thank you.

Give in Stuart. It's a battle you can't win.

Al, you do realise taking this battle to every thread on the board is the very definition of ruining the message board?

I've told you. I've given in. Chaddy with the backing of admin has won. Your constant wining is not helping.

Give in Stuart. It's a battle you can't win.

I have.

But if I'm to ignore him (or face a ban) then why should he continue to give a view on my posts while I have no right of reply?

The daft thing is that while everyone else is getting into a lather about his right to post @#/?, and us being vilified for objecting, he carries on regardless.

Ignorance is bliss.

I've told you. I've given in. Chaddy with the backing of admin has won. Your constant wining is not helping.

Backing of admin? Won? Vilified? What level of ridiculousness are we taking it to next?

Just do what half the board want you and a few others to do. Ignore and move on.

If he isnt going to pick him then fair enough but to not have the eyes to see Kane was @#/? for the last half hour and not make the obvious change made me want to tear my hair out.

• Backroom

You say that but they let Slovakia back into the game yesterday and looked incredibly shaky for a good ten minutes after conceding. Wales scuffed one in, while we hit the post and got hit with a sucker punch, that's football for you. But if anyone is quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Wales then we deserve to be on the next flight home.

I've said multiple times in this thread Wales aren't any great shakes and we have nothing to fear from them or Slovakia.

But Wales won't drop points against that Russian team. They are dreadful. We should have stuffed them, but we so rarely get what we deserve and at some point it stops being luck and starts being about mentality.

The last thing we need is another generation of nearly men. Roy is a man of the past. Have been saying it for ages, we need a younger manager to instil a fresh mentality. I'd love to be wrong but I see nothing but failure with Hodgson at the helm.

Backing of admin? Won? Vilified? What level of ridiculousness are we taking it to next?

Just do what half the board want you and a few others to do. Ignore and move on.

I've told you I've given in. It's prats like you who won't let it drop.

If Vardy is going to start then it has been on the left wing. Kane should be our main striker in 4-3-3 formation

You cant play 4-4-2 at international football.

Our players dont suit 3-5-2 as its a system very few are use to playing in.

Most English team play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation so thats the system we should play

For all the stick Sterling is getting, Kane was far worse. If you look back, I called it during the game. Hardly involved in the build up, forever in an offside position and no energy to close down from the front.

It might be due to a long hard season but after that performance is start with Vardy anyway. We played the ball up to their back four impressively through midfield. If you then want someone to dart onto a through ball I know who I'd rather have. As Kane also didn't hold the ball up at all (even though Glenda tried to make out he did), I'd prefer Sturridge after last nights showing.

Archived