BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Just logged on and noticed these posts. I don't think they are unreasonable or a personal attack in any way shape or form but I still don't think Lambert has pulled up any trees since he's been here.

Someone above asked what I expected this season form PL. As an experienced manager I expected a significant improvement on GB, not the marginal one we've actually seen under PL. I expected a run of results that would push us close to pay off contention even if we didn't quite make it I expected I'm to install a winning mentality in the players and for us to us to carry on in the same vein as we did during his "honeymoon period", playing horrible football but grinding out a sequence of results which would see us steadily climbing the table. Instead after playing themselves into a situation whereby a win against Forest at home would have left us one point outside the playoffs the players seemed to down tools after that initial 5 game period.

In January I expected Lambert's extensive contacts at home and abroad to lead to a different quality of player being brought in but all I can see is a succession of generally low quality loanees and acquisitions being brought in the vast majority of whom will no doubt be replaced in summer by another batch of loanees. I can't see any long term strategy or forward planning.

Rhodes has obviously been mentioned and I suppose you can say that if Graham's signing is made permanent and he continues over the course of a full season to play and score as he has been doing then swapping the two has been a decent bit of business. That's two very big "if's" for me though still and how will things look if Graham does not sign in summer and the 9m from the Rhodes sale (promotion add on a bad bit of business in itself) isn't made available for investment in the squad?

Lambert is quite right to say the squad needs investment if the Club wants to move forward but has done little to show yet he is any better equipped than the next man to deliver promotion should that investment actually be forthcoming for me.

I've seen enough since January both in the players recruited (Graham, Watt, Gomez), performances (Burnley, Derby) and some results (Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Brentford) that we are making significant progress and if afforded the opportunity in both time and resources that will continue going forward. I don't believe he needs a war chest of £20 million, but he needs to be able to offer good wages to people like Graham and Gomez and spend £6-8 million on 6-7 quality players to add to the few decent ones we've got. Oh, and he needs to be able to speak to his bosses every now and again. Surely not too much to ask.

As for the 'next man', well I shudder to think who that might be if Lambert walks out. Someone with his CV when compared with his predecessors and likely successors is a dream. The very best we will get post Lambert is Alan Irvine, more likely Damian Johnson or David Dunn, and I can say with some conviction that Lambert is better equipped to deliver promotion than either of those two.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible, is it just remotely possible that the Venks might actually listen to Lambert. After all he is, to my recollection, the first person within the club to speak up in such a manner about what the club needs. Might they listen, gut feel is they will can him because the will feel publicly criticised. If they fire Lambert ir he walks because of their ignorance it needs to be full court press to get them out. We will cease to exist if they carry on. Sadly I don't think they give a toss if we do become extinct.

Is the only hope of funds Boro going up now? Rhodes just got them a bit closer if so

Personally I think Leicester winning the PL might help us a bit.. bound to be a few of the owners watching that situation with interest.. just need to look at the money they are making in Thailand for their owners.. they probably realise now what an experienced manager can do you would hope anyway.. now just for a few extra quid.

Personally I think Leicester winning the PL might help us a bit.. bound to be a few of the owners watching that situation with interest.. just need to look at the money they are making in Thailand for their owners.. they probably realise now what an experienced manager can do you would hope anyway.. now just for a few extra quid.

Yeah but most will probably know if Leicester do win it there's not a "cat in hells chance" of that happening again anytime soon. Leicester themselves (though their owners will surely spend huge this summer its not like they have no cash) or another complete outsider. Simply can't explain how Ranieri has got Leicester this far (still wouldn't even if Brian Clough was reincarnated) but he's still my main doubt. That might be unfair but the fact is he's underachieved time and time again. Its so ironic he might do it when nobody would have even considered it. Those who place bets at the start of the season on ridiculously long shots don't count.

Is Steve Kean working in a secret capacity at Leicester? :D

Is it possible, is it just remotely possible that the Venks might actually listen to Lambert. After all he is, to my recollection, the first person within the club to speak up in such a manner about what the club needs.

First person to say it in public. Who knows who's tried to tell them in private.

Paul Hunt did, I think, in that leaked email and he got sacked for it.

Is it possible, is it just remotely possible that the Venks might actually listen to Lambert. After all he is, to my recollection, the first person within the club to speak up in such a manner about what the club needs. Might they listen, gut feel is they will can him because the will feel publicly criticised. If they fire Lambert ir he walks because of their ignorance it needs to be full court press to get them out. We will cease to exist if they carry on. Sadly I don't think they give a toss if we do become extinct.

Couldn't agree more. If Lambert is forced out, by or because of Venkys, then it's time for protests to restart and for them not to end until they are gone. They will have proven beyond doubt that they have no interest is the best interests of this club. For all of their covering of our bills our debt keeps on rising. That suggests that they are borrowing high and paying back low.

Let's hope that the next Venkys-instigated announcement is a credible CEO just as the last one was a credible manager. That would at least make 2/1000.

When it was looking like we were going to get Lambert I kept checking the odds on Skybet - was really excited at finally getting a proper manager who wouldn't put up with any more of what we fans have had to in the last few years.

If we lose Lambert I will be absolutely gutted.

PL will stick at Rovers until either:

1. He is offered a better job elsewhere;

2. He is sacked.

Why would he walk away and lose any potential compensation? Only a loon would walk due to "principles".

He would walk into another well paid job with employers who might honour their promises.

A manager builds their reputation through achieving and then can get paid top money. If he can't do that with us he will leave.

It makes no sense (typical Venkys) I'd they don't back him.

Back him with funds and his fitness regime will have us at the very least challenging the top six imo. Promotion equals an ADDITIONAL £200million to the coffers. That wipes ALL debt with £80 million to spare.

Spend that £80 million on 'all or nothing' to stay up and we'll (or they'll) have the full £200m to do with as they please.

SURELY both us and Venkys want that?

I understand that they may think a big cash splurge this summer doesn't guarantee promotion. Nobody can ensure that. But what's to lose? With poor gates and poor tv money, this £100 odd million isn't going to disappear by tightening the belt. It's better to be hung for a sheep than a lamb.

I understand that they may think a big cash splurge this summer doesn't guarantee promotion. Nobody can ensure that. But what's to lose? With poor gates and poor tv money, this £100 odd million isn't going to disappear by tightening the belt. It's better to be hung for a sheep than a lamb.

Lambert wants promotion and clearly he has a list of players he wants to sign this summer to get us top 2/6.

I fully believe that under Lambert's leadership and his style we will finish top 2.

Lambert wants promotion and clearly he has a list of players he wants to sign this summer to get us top 2/6.

I fully believe that under Lambert's leadership and his style we will finish top 2.

I am probably on similar lines chaddy. Personally speaking I don't think he's quite the manager some herald him to be. But he is the closest thing we've had in years and thats more than enough for me. I think with reasonable investment he'd have us in the playoffs. I think top two may be a stretch.

Regardless, as things stand I can't see him being in the dugout next season. If he is then he'll have had the kitty he wants. And I'm not sure anyone really expects that to happen now.

When it was looking like we were going to get Lambert I kept checking the odds on Skybet - was really excited at finally getting a proper manager who wouldn't put up with any more of what we fans have had to in the last few years.

If we lose Lambert I will be absolutely gutted.

He would walk into another well paid job with employers who might honour their promises.

A manager builds their reputation through achieving and then can get paid top money. If he can't do that with us he will leave.

I think he's re-built his reputation enough in his time at Rovers to be attractive to other clubs at our level and a fair bit higher up the food chain. He's not back to where he was pre Villa but he's heading in the right direction.

I am probably on similar lines chaddy. Personally speaking I don't think he's quite the manager some herald him to be. But he is the closest thing we've had in years and thats more than enough for me. I think with reasonable investment he'd have us in the playoffs. I think top two may be a stretch.

Regardless, as things stand I can't see him being in the dugout next season. If he is then he'll have had the kitty he wants. And I'm not sure anyone really expects that to happen now.

I wouldn't even put money on him being in the dug out at Wolves next week !

I think it's been a tumultuous two weeks and I doubt it's finished yet.

Isn't it so utterly appalling that for the last five years supporters have had to content themselves with ever so rare sound decisions from the owners? How many times in the last five years or so has there been the sentiment of 'well maybe they're learning' or 'maybe they've been badly advised'. It doesn't wash. If they make another dogs dinner of this situation, there'll be nothing left to cling to.

Sickening.

PL will stick at Rovers until either:

1. He is offered a better job elsewhere;

2. He is sacked.

Why would he walk away and lose any potential compensation? Only a loon would walk due to "principles".

My take is that Lambert is more of a man than any of our previous Venky era managers. (BFS excluded,,and we know how that panned out) I don't think he gives two hoots about compo, pay he might lose or any of that personal financial gain business. I firmly believe he is ambitious, believes in his principles and would walk without a second thought if this job went against either. Straight talking honest type of bloke, refreshing. K'in hell Venky's shape up or ship out FFS.

Do the Venkies run their business this way? I doubt it if so it's a miracle they still have.a business. Come on Rao's it's time to step up to the plate. You know and we ALL know you made a monumental mistake buying this club. Own up to that and go about rectifying that. Help put us back where we were, take your money back and then sling your feckin hooks.

Never let your presence cast shadows over Ewood ever again. BRFC is more to more people families, history, and that you can never understand, you don't get it, it's not your fault you don't but you just don't you never will how could you.

The idea you had, the pipe dream, some thought of owning a footy team would give you global recognition was naive in the least. ADMIT, you got it wrong then go.

Couldn't agree more. If Lambert is forced out, by or because of Venkys, then it's time for protests to restart and for them not to end until they are gone. They will have proven beyond doubt that they have no interest is the best interests of this club. For all of their covering of our bills our debt keeps on rising. That suggests that they are borrowing high and paying back low.

Let's hope that the next Venkys-instigated announcement is a credible CEO just as the last one was a credible manager. That would at least make 2/1000.

Stuart, isn't that what is so mind numbingly baffling. Why oh why.do they keep throwing away money yet when the chance come to throw some quality money at it they don't and the losing cycle begins again. It's akin to constantly pouring money into a home in a declining neighbourhood as the smack heads move in next door you are putting in a pool when you really should be buying elsewhere, again they step over fivers to puck up shillings. I just can not get me head around it. It's not guaranteed but I think Lambert can get it done and get it.done in a manner that galvanizes the fans, the town his manner of aying is exactly what.we Rovers fans love. Some grit some real effort and a bit of entertainment.

As Rev said he's not pulled up trees but I think he has planted some healthy roots in some good soil, now it remains to be.seen if Venky's will provided him with the water and sunshine he needs for the tree to bear fruit.

The attitude of the players on Saturday is going to give us an indication. Historically it seems to me that with key players out and right after an international break we sort of mail it in.

If we do yhat tomorrow I think we can read into it that the players know he's off. God forbid but I think he is.

Lambert's stance has at least made things more transparent for fans. He seems like he will walk if not backed. If venkys don't back him, it is clear they won't back anyone.

So if Lambert walks, it will be clear that venkys have no intention of repairing the damage.

I think Lambert's transparency has been one of the aspects of his management style that has endeared him to a lot of fans. His honesty, however brutal has been refreshing after the cloak and dagger operation we had seen with his predecessors. And more importantly I believe he is an excellent manager who will (with support) give us he best chance of success.

Well I didn't renew my season ticket last year on the back of the previous seasons appalling performances. Then we got a genuine manager so I bought a half season ticket to show my support for a sensible decision. If we're about to return to insanity after an all too brief a spell of relative sanity, that'll be me out again.

Archived