BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

It's easy to criticise Coyle but he's only been here a couple of months. There's not much he can do now about contracts that should have been signed off months ago. He's in exactly the same position as previous managers, a mouthpiece for a dysfunctional club who is unable to affect some of the things he is going to be criticised for. Duffy and Marshall do hold all the cards, they are in their last year and as there is apparent interest elsewhere with clubs that will probably pay bigger wages than us (B&HA, Wolves, Sunderland) they can name their price. The fault lies with our negligent owners.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the impression the club is trying to shift all the pressure away from itself and on to the players. That way they can 'buy' a few weeks as the players supposedly consider the offers that have been made. This should take us through to the end of the month when they will be sold and none of the money reinvested.

I still fully expect at least one of them to be sold and then a few weeks down the line for that player to say that there was never anything more than a few conversations with Coyle and for whatever reason a firm contract offer was never made to them.

I don't blame Coyle for this situation, but if these players aren't going to be offered new deals or aren't going to be staying I'd sooner he was just honest about the situation. There's nothing stopping him voicing his frustration that these deals haven't been done by now, but he won't do that.

Man Ure will want to thin their squad down. The Spoilt One doesn't like big squads. As long as we down take little crappy kids off them. No more Russell Beardsmore thank you.

What about Phil Jones cant see him getting much time on the pitch with them been on the bench for most of their pre season

It's easy to criticise Coyle but he's only been here a couple of months. There's not much he can do now about contracts that should have been signed off months ago. He's in exactly the same position as previous managers, a mouthpiece for a dysfunctional club who is unable to affect some of the things he is going to be criticised for. Duffy and Marshall do hold all the cards, they are in their last year and as there is apparent interest elsewhere with clubs that will probably pay bigger wages than us (B&HA, Wolves, Sunderland) they can name their price. The fault lies with our negligent owners.

You may be right bb, this mess isn't of his making, but we live in a post SK world and the drivel he comes out with is horrible to read, and at times it does look like he is talking to the fans like we are idiots. We might have looked on it differently if it wasn't for the past 6 years but that time has left us hypercritical.

Don't forget that Lambert intimated to us on several occasions that the club was dysfunctional.

Like all the rest bar one,I'm not expecting anything of the sort from Coyle.

I guess it is a fine line between offering players an improved contract, part way through an existing one and leaving it to run down. I have read the odd comment about Graham for example, suggesting his performance levels have dropped, now that his long term contract is in place. I am not saying I agree with that, but that is an alternative view. I guess Marshall and Duffy were given 3/4 year deals. Extending those initial deals half way through, is a risk and one the club were obviously not willing to take. In some ways, appointing Lambert, part way through last season, probably didn't help with these two, especially once Lambert had decided that the gig was not for him. He would have seen no benefit from opening contract talks with either of them, and as we all know, the owners would have been confused about the whole thing anyway.

I have no real time for Coyle and think he is full of bull, but don't really fault him for this one.

I'm quite suspicious about Coyle's comments in the Telegraph this morning about the futures of Marshall and Duffy.

'Coyle has confirmed the players and their representatives WILL BE in possession of fresh and upgraded terms' - so have they been offered new deals, or is this another one of those things that is going to happen soon but hasn't actually happened yet?

'I had a really good chat with them and WE'LL PUT SOMETHING TO THEIR ADVISORS and its up to them to come back and say whether its acceptable or whether its not and they are looking for X, Y or Z' - so reading that it appears to confirm that as yet they still haven't been offered new deals, Coyle is still talking about doing something in the future.

'But for me at least it shows that forward motion in respect of trying to achieve something' - what? Does this mean anything?

'Of course as players they are in a very strong position going into the last year of their contracts' - so this is what we fall back on when they are sold. Because they held all the cards and wouldn't commit to what the club offered them, the club had no choice other than to grant the players their wishes and let them leave.

I interpret some of the things he has said as a man who knows that they aren't staying but is doing as previous incumbents of the managers chair have done under Venkys and participating in the charade. Remember the Junior Hoilett scenario? This seems to have similarities. Back then the new contract with improved terms was always just around the corner, soon, etc. but never actually happened.

I really am struggling to believe that Venkys have authorised the issuing of new contracts on improved terms to these two players. It would fly in the face of all they have done over the last 2 years. Sell sell sell and cut cut cut but now they're going to keep these two and offer them improved terms?

Its completely disgraceful, foolish, unprofessional and dangerous to have allowed this situation to develop, and even if, and its a big if, new offers are on the table with improved terms, I'd be astonished if either were agreeing to commit to this club given its prospects and the way it has behaved in recent months. Both players will have had other clubs whispering in their ears all summer and that is what we are competing against. Clubs that are proactive, ambitious and make players feel wanted.

I just think there is a strategy now to make the players into the villains so when the club sells them they try to minimise the fury from the fans. I can see it now. .The club offered them fresh terms, but the players weren't prepared to accept what the club felt were very good terms, the players were in the strong position and the club felt that if they didn't want to commit to the club then it had no choice but to sell them now and get some money in, which is very important to us in an era of FFP'

This is exactly how I feel about it.

It's being dragged out and played out in public. They were to be offered new contracts this week. Have they?

But even if they are any negotiations will take weeks. Then we'll be waiting to hear if Venkys will agree to the new terms. Everything Venkys do takes ages.

I guess it is a fine line between offering players an improved contract, part way through an existing one and leaving it to run down. I have read the odd comment about Graham for example, suggesting his performance levels have dropped, now that his long term contract is in place. I am not saying I agree with that, but that is an alternative view. I guess Marshall and Duffy were given 3/4 year deals. Extending those initial deals half way through, is a risk and one the club were obviously not willing to take. In some ways, appointing Lambert, part way through last season, probably didn't help with these two, especially once Lambert had decided that the gig was not for him. He would have seen no benefit from opening contract talks with either of them, and as we all know, the owners would have been confused about the whole thing anyway.

I have no real time for Coyle and think he is full of bull, but don't really fault him for this one.

More likely Lambert was fully aware of the situation and wanted to initiate negotiations soon after his arrival, but because of the people above him he wasn't able to put plans in place and form his squad in March ahead of this season. We're playing catch up and have been since the moment these people took control of the club and that's why we'll never be successful and no manager will last.

A failure to tie these two down to new deals was probably one of a whole range of reasons that Lambert decided enough was enough. He probably had their agents ringing him up asking what was going on and he couldn't answer. As the manager of the club who talks about wanting promotion that's a pretty embarrassing and powerless position to be in, if you can't even start contract discussions with your best players, never mind sign new ones and get deals lined up in advance.

From Nixon

Blackburn. Prem loan left back target thinks he might have a Prem move. May go elsewhere themselves.

Far too slow Venkys in signing these deals off.

That's an easy one for Nixon. Doesn't name the player, say's he's not signing. Job done. Who can challenge that?

What about Phil Jones cant see him getting much time on the pitch with them been on the bench for most of their pre season

Nice idea but they would want a loan fee for him or to sell him. Apart from that he's permanently injured. We've had enough of them.

Largely agree with JHRover.

I think it's a load of twaddle from Coyle - far too little, far too late and mere window dressing.

It's not Coyles fault the players haven't been offered deals I agree, Lambert flagged this up months ago, but Coyle trying to sugarcoat things in the press is nauseating, give it a rest.

Assuming you dont want Rovers relegated,with zero spent on incoming transfers,if Duffy & Marshall are both sold it will be some achievement to get to 21st place.

Only Burnley seem as threadbare and penny-pinching as ourselves,but they do have a proper structure in place not to mention Premier League football.

They still have their big money striker in place though unlike us. Dyche will be off there soon enough if they don't back him after he's got them there again. My guess around October when chairmen start getting trigger happy unless they are seriously over achieving.

I know we keep saying he'll but off but he will when the right offer comes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37058280

Rovers double twitter failure hits the bbc website.

Apparently Sam Gallagher held a 5 minute warning sign before being revealed as the signing 5 minutes later and then there was the whole MGP debacle.

:rover:

Don't really see the problem with the Gallagher one. I doubt many people would recognise him by his face, and most people knew he was signing anyway, so it hardly spoiled the surprise.

That story has Cryer's fingerprints all over it.

I think the 2 or 3 signings will equate to Gallagher and Brown , then on deadline day when 1or both of Duffy and Marshall are sold we'll be scratting round for a winger on loan

I doubt anybody will come in to replace Duffy/ Marshall as Coyle has said there are plenty of wide players and Brown will get a contract if he can run round the car park twice.

• Backroom

Don't really see the problem with the Gallagher one. I doubt many people would recognise him by his face, and most people knew he was signing anyway, so it hardly spoiled the surprise.

The MGP one was worse. It would have been quite funny under normal circumstances, but the club is well aware we are not under normal circumstances and instead something like that just takes the @#/? even more.

• Moderation Lead

Cryer, that embittered sad man who hates us, despite reporting on us giving him an opportunity to work for the Beeb. So strange.

Cryer, that embittered sad man who hates us, despite reporting on us giving him an opportunity to work for the Beeb. So strange.

He was the reporter during the worst period in Rovers' history. I'm not surprised he's a bit bitter.........aren't we all?

Archived