BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Both Lenihan and Mulgrew are replaceable. The trouble is that we aren't a normal football club. Elsewhere a club would do everything in its power to tempt those players to stay, just for the season and see how it goes. If they still wanted out and a substantial offer arrived then they would be moved on swiftly, with the manager then armed with the proceeds to go out and replace them in good time with suitable quality.

We know that won't happen here, because since the day these owners arrived sales have been conducted to the detriment of Blackburn Rovers. We can look at last summer as the prime example. Duffy and Hanley departing in itself wasn't necessarily the end of the world, but then sanctioning deals for Wes Brown and Gordon Greer on free transfers as their replacements made it into a disaster. If they had got shut of the pair of them early on with a cut off date for a departure and then invested properly into replacements there's a fair chance we'd have survived last season.

Venkys sell when they want to, not when the manager wants or when is best for the club. Someone advises them on an asking price, they stick to it for weeks and weeks and then lower their demands at the last minute to ensure the move goes through. It happened with Duffy/Brighton last summer, Rhodes/Boro, Marshall/Wolves, right back to Jones/United. We hear bits in the media about massive demands from Venkys/Rovers but in the end the deal goes through at a lower price.

Lets see what happens next but there's a mountain of previous to suggest which way it will go. That isn't being negative or pessimistic, its forming a view on what has happened over several years and expecting more of the same.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DE. said:

Tbf Newcastle legitimately bid £20m for Cairney (and it was rejected!) so I suppose £10m for Lawrence sort of makes sense in that context. Still utterly ridiculous though. 

I know they are different types of player but Derby sold Will Hughes for less than what they are bringing Lawrence in for.Hughes is twice the player,Lawrence had one decent loan spell at Ipswich and all of a sudden he is worth 10 million.Crazy stuff

Another one on the Bowyer checklist. Cairney, Duffy, Marshall, Lawrence, Keane, Gallagher. All signed/wanted by Bowyer whilst running Rovers and now worth about £60 million between them in today's daft world.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Another one on the Bowyer checklist. Cairney, Duffy, Marshall, Lawrence, Keane, Gallagher. All signed/wanted by Bowyer whilst running Rovers and now worth about £60 million between them in today's daft world.

And all players with whom Bowyer failed even to make the play offs...just saying!

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Along with Bowyers preferred midfield 2 of Lowe and Williamson.

I wonder what held us back?

Mmm

Could definitely spot a player and did make some astute signings - its his tactical nous that let him down. i still cannot fathom how he could not get a team that had a 40 goal strikeforce promoted. Anyhow, this has all been done to death (though I expect its now gonna do the rounds again).

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Could definitely spot a player and did make some astute signings - its his tactical nous that let him down. i still cannot fathom how he could not get a team that had a 40 goal strikeforce promoted. Anyhow, this has all been done to death (though I expect its now gonna do the rounds again).

I really hope it doesn't tbh. What is it with the transfer thread?

Just now, K-Hod said:

I really hope it doesn't tbh. What is it with the transfer thread?

My fault with the Bowyer thing...

As for your question, (which is a dangerous bait.)..transfer policy is at the heart of the Blackburn Rovers infestation and there are just so many connections and cues!

I never mentioned.....

40 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf Newcastle legitimately bid £20m for Cairney (and it was rejected!) so I suppose £10m for Lawrence sort of makes sense in that context. Still utterly ridiculous though. 

I agree its relevant but still, no way on earth is he worth £10million.

90% of that fee should be knocked off for that Burnley miss alone.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Along with Bowyers preferred midfield 2 of Lowe and Williamson.

I wonder what held us back?

Mmm

One that is not forgotten or forgiven:

18 April 2014, Rovers O v Yeovil O

Rovers starting lineup:
Robinson, Hanley, Keane, Kilgallon, Spurr, Cairney, Conway, Lowe, Williamson, Gestede, Rhodes

Robbo, iirc, was quoted as saying Bowyer was happy to settle for a point and against any late all out mounted attacks on Yeovil to snatch the win.

We finished the season 3 points off a guaranteed playoff place. 2 points from 6th place but inferior GD.

Yeovil were relegated in 24 th place.

Leicester were champions and on the up!

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

One that is not forgotten or forgiven:

18 April 2014, Rovers O v Yeovil O

Rovers starting lineup:
Robinson, Hanley, Keane, Kilgallon, Spurr, Cairney, Conway, Lowe, Williamson, Gestede, Rhodes

Robbo, iirc, was quoted as saying Bowyer was happy to settle for a point and against any late all out mounted attacks on Yeovil to snatch the win.

We finished the season 3 points off a guaranteed playoff place. 2 points from 6th place but inferior GD.

Yeovil were relegated in 24 th place.

Leicester were champions and on the up!

Urgh....a microcosm of us under Bowyer

To be honest we never actually looked like getting into the play-offs. Whenever we got close, we bottled it. Would have been nice to have got there though. 

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Quite. Another standard line is the message that the player, himself, wants out. 

I know I resent those players, who really do want out, as opposed to it being a convenient excuse for the club...BUT..I have learned to ask:

What is the context?

What signals are being sent about the overall aim, purpose and direction of the club? 

What is the evidence of the club's ambition?

A key issue for the fans as well as the players.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why doesn't it? Once the window closes all he can do is knuckle down, for the sake of his own career. Otherwise he will be a sub for a League 1 club. 

Or we could let him rot in the reserves, seriously would you want a player who wants out staying? Hardly conducive to team morale not implying theres any evidence that he does of course.

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Urgh....a microcosm of us under Bowyer

To be honest we never actually looked like getting into the play-offs. Whenever we got close, we bottled it. Would have been nice to have got there though. 

Indeed. Bowyer's Rovers were at their best trundling along in mid-table - as soon as we got a sniff of the playoffs the club collectively retreated into its shell. His tenure at Blackpool so far suggests he might have learnt from that experience, but we shouldn't have been the club where he learnt that lesson. 

Still, bygones. We just have to hope that in Mowbray we have a manager who can identify the right players and create the proper mindset for a promotion push. We've spent almost the entirety of Venky's tenure with managers who either had one or none of the above.

43 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Or we could let him rot in the reserves, seriously would you want a player who wants out staying? Hardly conducive to team morale not implying theres any evidence that he does of course.

Letting a player leave just because he is having a strop isn't good for team morale either. This has happened with players before and when the window shuts, they get their heads down(in a non Stokes type of way)

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally I wouldn't want to sell him but I'd certainly be wanting nothing less than £5million with add-ons.

Fair price but the ball has been rolled out a 500k and i'd say 1,5 or 2 million will get him out of the building whether he wants to go or not. In other words enough to cover these new signings/potential signings although for once if that turns out to be the case it has been reinvested.

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Letting a player leave just because he is having a strop isn't good for team morale either. This has happened with players before and when the window shuts, they get their heads down(in a non Stokes type of way)

Exactly, it's time to clamp down on soft touch Rovers and rebuild it with a harder line. They played hard ball with Best and that and his own contribution just about ruined his remaining career. Didn't matter to him though because the sheer amount of money involved had ruined his attitude anyway but not the same for lesser players not yet on contracts that set them for life whether they play or not so show them who calls the shots.

New approach time.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Fair price but the ball has been rolled out a 500k and i'd say 1,5 or 2 million will get him out of the building whether he wants to go or not. In other words enough to cover these new signings/potential signings although for once if that turns out to be the case it has been reinvested.

Investment!?

Don't hold your breath ?

Just now, funny-old-game said:

Investment!?

Don't hold your breath ?

Ha ha, never !

I just mean that when/if Lenihen goes for far far less than 5 mill it will be argued it's been reinvested for once in this summer signings particularly if they get the Reading lad. Vs never spend their own coin on signings it's always covered been by outgoings one way or another in the bigger picture whilst the annual losses on wages, running costs etc get swallowed in company accounts probably offset by tax savings and big profits from elsewhere.

At least that's the way it appears to be done to outsiders and can be the only logical reason they keep doing it aside from the usual obvious conspiracies. That's me being kind to them !

1 hour ago, Bluebarley said:

When they sign 3 year contracts a year ago they are committing to the cause and the club is committing to them so it should continue that way unless there are other clauses inserted which say different or a genuinely big offer comes in that suits all parties, end of.

Archived