BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! I think that site just multiplies an assumed wage by the rest of a player's contract to get to a "valuation".

Duffy at £100k was a bargain then.

Very much doubt it though, in all seriousness. It probably suited Bowyer to play down the cost of Steele.

Will be no surprise to see Forsyth arrive as the 'makeweight' in a Marshall move to Derby.

Just read in Derby telegraph no bid received for Forsyth.

But a swap definitely makes sense if they want Marshall.

Pearson sold him to us Mercer. Non-starter.

Ah, forgotten about Pearson being in charge, probably not then.

Btw, that's another team going for the title, with him in charge they'll have toughened up this season for sure.

Tough old league this year, prepare for a few hammerings.

I'm sure there was talk of quite a lot of add ons when we got Duffy, so there maybe be a big sell on clause or something like that, therefore there may well be a reluctance to let him go 'cheap' and if Venkys decide how much we sell them for then the fact that he appeared in the Euros might mean they think he is worth more than Hanley... Not convinced by the remarks in the LT but hoping we make him a fair contract offer and Brighton aren't that attractive to him.

Venkys are anything but predictable and while I don't think they will allow us to spend much, it is possible they will allow a few hundred thousand to be spent, maybe even on a couple of players. Danny Graham surprised me and although free he will be on a good wage after proving himself still capable of scoring goals last season so there is some kind of allowance for getting in a decent player or two.

Hendrie is a strange one, come on loan just to play back up, I do wonder if Coyle thought he would be better than he is, I wasn't impressed when I saw him, Forsyth should be a decent to good player for this division.

I wish we had gone for Tony Watt, if he has gone to Hearts surely we could have gotten him. He's got that little bit of something which we may lack at the moment.

Getting a offer doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. He's negotiating a new contract isn't he? Not everybody wants to leave. Sometimes players are happy where they are. You can't stop clubs making offers. We should be making some ourselves.

If the clubs who are interested in him put the right bid in for him, he will be off no doubt about we are a selling club now under venkys I am afraid. Plus the clubs after Duffy offer a far lot more ambition then Rovers do currently.

If the clubs who are interested in him put the right bid in for him, he will be off no doubt about we are a selling club now under venkys I am afraid. Plus the clubs after Duffy offer a far lot more ambition then Rovers do currently.

I dont think duffy is going anywhere! Sick of all the negativity on here about duffy and marshall leaving. Duffy has said many times he is happy to say and i am sure by next week he will have signed a new contract....

I dont think duffy is going anywhere! Sick of all the negativity on here about duffy and marshall leaving. Duffy has said many times he is happy to say and i am sure by next week he will have signed a new contract....

people just being realistic about Rovers. None of our players will stay if a more ambitious club come in for them and I don't blame them because sadly Blackburn Rovers are a laughing stock at the moment and the only way that will change is if the Venkys sell up.

Watt's fitness has to be a concern though (both in general terms and specifically relating to his latest injury).

It seems his only concern was getting as close to his friends and family. Probably just another who takes his good wages for granted and puts his social life before his footy. Shame about the injury and he does have something about him but looking at his history something doesn't add up with that lad. Maybe just genuine homesickness after moving around so much but that's part of the job, Badwille was same but now he's in Plymouth or somewhere.

We'll sell to clubs below us or alongside us if the price is right. As I've said before I think Duffy will go in Jan so he might well sign that new contract........

So still cant get players in quick enough. Lets be honest, we will probably start the season with what we have. Couple of losses, and we will blame it on other things, but not the owners lack of interest or investment.

The likes of Duffy and Marshall and even Hanley could all be persuaded to stay at this club if they were given a reason to stick around. Unfortunately however, everything the club has done over the last 18 months demonstrates downsizing, downscaling, reducing expectations and standards and lowering the quality.

If we'd have fought to keep people like Cairney, Gestede and Rhodes, offered new contracts to people like Marshall and Duffy, replaced any departures with quality signings, invested a fraction of the almost £30 million received, communicated with Paul Lambert etc. etc. then I'm sure we could persuade people like Hanley to stick around and fulfil his ambitions here.

It isn't that clubs like Brighton are naturally more attractive than Rovers or that we can't hope to compete with clubs like Newcastle (yes they are a Championship club and it matters not one iota how many deluded fans they have turning up to watch them, see Leeds for more information), more a situation that the owners have made a choice to cash in on whoever they can whenever they can and not reinvest the proceeds. I could handle that tightfisted approach, if they then delegated running of the club to a board of directors who could make every penny count and put in place a structure to ensure the club coped well with a limited budget, but they wont even accept the need for that.

If they produced a statement and said they were determined to keep all our better players then that might be a start, and yet we know Tom Cairney was inexplicably pushed out the door to Fulham, we know that Jordan Rhodes was the subject of all sorts of stunts from people at Rovers (Hull and Middlesbrough deals lined up and falling through). We know the club basically invited Newcastle back with bigger bids for Hanley (£4.5 million nowhere near enough, £5.5 million is enough). There's no reason to think the situation will be any different with Duffy and Marshall. I've no doubt Coyle would love to keep them and will probably be trying to get them to sign a new deal. However when the bids start coming in and the pound signs are flashing it won't matter what Coyle, Duffy or Marshall want, only what certain individuals in India want.

It's not negativity, it's what we have done for the last 6 years. Why are these two special?

If they are not signing, then we need to sell this summer.

Archived