SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Coyle Out

Stuart

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

I can see Dunny and Johnson being brought in until the end of the season. Dunny, whilst nowhere near being an option for long term manager might be able to give us that short term bounce needed in the upcoming games or it could be an unmitigated disaster, either way at least we'd be able to get behind him.

Johnno I like. Dunny failed massively at Oldham in circumstances very similar to ours so I don't anticipate any bounce from him. Like I said earlier, at the end of the day we're set up to fail. If we stay up by the skin of our teeth this year we'll go down next year.

1 minute ago, Irishrover213 said:

Your right. Coyle was coming in cheaper than Warnock. No other reason.  Remember though he's the outstanding candidate 

Outstanding means simply that he stood out which if all the others were decent managers/coaches then yes - OC would stand out :wacko:

IF Coyle goes, which I'll believe when I see it and not a minute before, then we can be sure they'll try to keep costs down by going 'in house' for the next manager.

That leaves Johnson and Dunn.

Clearly as Head Coach of the U23s Johnson should be the one making the temporary step up to train the first team and prepare for the next match until a permanent replacement is found. If they appoint Dunn as manager or even caretaker manager instead of Johnson despite him only being Johnson's assistant then that undermines Johnson.

They'll do whatever is easiest and cheapest, so expect promotion from within. The best thing for our survival hopes won't be an issue here.

Of course if we were a normal club the first thing we should be doing right this minute is ringing up Rowett, Warburton, Billy Davies and Kenny Jackett and asking if there's any chance any of them would be interested in the job with a big bonus for keeping us up and the promise of backing if we go down to get us straight back up again. Jackett would be a strong contender on that basis alone given his knowledge and record in League One.

Of course any long term thinking is completely absent here, as is ambition, so it will be another short term gamble hoping that it pays off whilst paying peanuts to do it. They probably are so clueless that they think all will be well with the world if they appoint a former player as manager to shut the moaners up.

41 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

David Dunn taking over rumour going round now

Please no, get rid of Coyle yes but Dunny ffs.  I fear  we'll go from narrowly losing games to loosing comfortably by 2 or 3. I'd prefer Brown to step in at least he might organize the bleeding defense at set pieces.

Just now, tomphil said:

Please no, get rid of Coyle yes but Dunny ffs.  I fear  we'll go from narrowly losing games to loosing comfortably by 2 or 3. I'd prefer Brown to step in at least he might organize the bleeding defense at set pieces.

just like he's done when he's played??? - I think I'd pass on that one thanks.

that's assuming you meant Wesley - { rather than Chris, Craig or Gordon}.  

If you meant Mike Brown the England rugby full-back however, then that may  be worth a punt, he can defend.

Jesting aside, I agree Dunn would be disastrous - no conceivable reason to appoint him, the only viable in-house option currently on the books would be Damian Johnson.  

I could imagine a Dunn/Johnson combo giving the squad that boost that could save us from relegation (though it's just as easy to imagine them turning us into even more of a defensive farce). As many have said, there is talent in this squad. While Coyle's had a few good pickups talent-wise, he's utterly failed to consistently exploit their talents (as well as being over-reliant on injury-prone players - part of being in the freebies market...). Some new blood could at least provide a 10-15 game boost that could save us.

My worry would be Dunn/Johnson providing that boost, and then Venky's deciding "they seemed to mange alright and they're cheap!" and giving them the permanent gig.

Hell, perhaps the two could pull it off, but it would be a needless, cheap risk.

I fear we're stuck with Coyle because Venky's have ruled out any more payoffs (hence why Irvine, Kelly, and Batty stuck around after Lambert left until they had found new jobs themselves) as we continue our descent into shoestring budgeting.

Just now, Glosrover said:

just like he's done when he's played??? - I think I'd pass on that one thanks.

that's assuming you meant Wesley - { rather than Chris, Craig or Gordon}.  

If you meant Mike Brown the England rugby full-back however, then that may  be worth a punt, he can defend.

Jesting aside, I agree Dunn would be disastrous - no conceivable reason to appoint him, the only viable in-house option currently on the books would be Damian Johnson.  

Maybe Kinder and pray he could do a Bowyer short term although we obviously have no Rhodes to pull us out of it this time.

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

IF Coyle goes, which I'll believe when I see it and not a minute before, then we can be sure they'll try to keep costs down by going 'in house' for the next manager.

That leaves Johnson and Dunn.

Clearly as Head Coach of the U23s Johnson should be the one making the temporary step up to train the first team and prepare for the next match until a permanent replacement is found. If they appoint Dunn as manager or even caretaker manager instead of Johnson despite him only being Johnson's assistant then that undermines Johnson.

They'll do whatever is easiest and cheapest, so expect promotion from within. The best thing for our survival hopes won't be an issue here.

Of course if we were a normal club the first thing we should be doing right this minute is ringing up Rowett, Warburton, Billy Davies and Kenny Jackett and asking if there's any chance any of them would be interested in the job with a big bonus for keeping us up and the promise of backing if we go down to get us straight back up again. Jackett would be a strong contender on that basis alone given his knowledge and record in League One.

Of course any long term thinking is completely absent here, as is ambition, so it will be another short term gamble hoping that it pays off whilst paying peanuts to do it. They probably are so clueless that they think all will be well with the world if they appoint a former player as manager to shut the moaners up.

Seems like no meeting .......... The words "YOU ARE FIRED " take 10 secs max !

Just now, gazsimm said:

what the club should be doing now though if these rumours are not true is making a statement saying they have confidence in the manager. BUT THE CLUB DOES NOT CARELESS ABOUT THE FANS

There is plenty to bash the club for however you can't be having a go for them NOT coming out and denying an internet rumour based on exactly what?  Can you imagine if they did come out with a statement of confidence in the manager - Christ this MB would go into meltdown.  Sometimes people will have a go no matter which way the club jump as it is almost the default setting nowadays.

When is Coyle's contract up? The cost of sacking him and his team will probably be putting the owners off sacking him.

I don't think they care if we go down anyway. 

Im willing to bet that if we go down it will cost them LESS each year than staying in the championship, hence why they want it this year.

Relegated in may means that all the high earners can be shipped out and the club can almost run itself, perfect for the owners.

Just now, OJRovers said:

When is Coyle's contract up? The cost of sacking him and his team will probably be putting the owners off sacking him.

I don't think they care if we go down anyway. 

Im willing to bet that if we go down it will cost them LESS each year than staying in the championship, hence why they want it this year.

Relegated in may means that all the high earners can be shipped out and the club can almost run itself, perfect for the owners.

Think he got 2 years when he joined so plenty of time for him to earn an extension yet.

Strange he got a 2 year deal from the off when Bowyer got a 1 year rolling deal. Presume Bowyer was much cheaper to fire off than Coyle and his staff would be.

Archived