BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

I'm not a Girls Aloud fan at all but really sad to hear about the passing of Sarah Harding from breast cancer at the tender age of 39. Particularly sad when you learn that she was diagnosed during the height of the pandemic & couldn't get access to the treatment which could've saved her life as the NHS were too busy with Covid patients.

RIP

• Like 4

23 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

I'm not a Girls Aloud fan at all but really sad to hear about the passing of Sarah Harding from breast cancer at the tender age of 39. Particularly sad when you learn that she was diagnosed during the height of the pandemic & couldn't get access to the treatment which could've saved her life as the NHS were too busy with Covid patients.

RIP

Very sad, absolutely no age. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He was a great finisher, the stats speak for themselves. I'd put Dennis Law above him personally but he was in that sort of company.

One of the very first British players to rebel against the maximum wage operating at the time and play abroad.

Great success in Italy. Career coming to an end as we won the World Cup---unlucky there, in the squad but not picked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Great success in Italy. Career coming to an end as we won the World Cup---unlucky there, in the squad but not picked.

That’s not quite right mate, he got injured during the 1966 World Cup and eventually, belatedly, got a winners medal. Hurst only got a game because Greaves was injured. Greavsie was only in his mid 20s then so far from the end of his career, though he didn’t play too often for England after 66 right enough.  Also, he wasn’t really in Italy for long enough to judge whether he was a success or not but he still scored about 8 goals in 10 games or thereabouts in a defensive league. 

RIP Greavsie.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Saw Greaves play at Ewood, at Upton Park in his West Ham days and in his final year in non-league for Barnet when he strolled around in midfield

Best memory was Rovers' 7-2 thrashing of Spurs at Ewood in the early 1960s, probably the best Rovers performance I've seen

Greaves scored both Spurs goals IIRC

He took being injured and left out of Alf Ramsey's World Cup-winning team pretty hard, don't think he really recovered

Edited by jim mk2

45 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That’s not quite right mate, he got injured during the 1966 World Cup and eventually, belatedly, got a winners medal. Hurst only got a game because Greaves was injured. Greavsie was only in his mid 20s then so far from the end of his career, though he didn’t play too often for England after 66 right enough.  Also, he wasn’t really in Italy for long enough to judge whether he was a success or not but he still scored about 8 goals in 10 games or thereabouts in a defensive league. 

RIP Greavsie.

Ah well. So much for my memory! I was sure he was dropped in the World Cup, but I'll happily take your word for it.

Wasn't he not so much dropped but not selected when he was fit because Geoff Hurst was preferred ie he could have played in the final but wasn't chosen? (trying to salvage a bit of my reputation here!!)

You're right about Italy, he was unhappy there and never settled (so I've since read!)

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ah well. So much for my memory! I was sure he was dropped in the World Cup, but I'll happily take your word for it.

Wasn't he not so much dropped but not selected when he was fit because Geoff Hurst was preferred ie he could have played in the final but wasn't chosen? (trying to salvage a bit of my reputation here!!)

You're right about Italy, he was unhappy there and never settled (so I've since read!)

Yeah I think you’re correct in that he was available for the final mate , but Alf Ramsay didn’t want to change a winning team. That wc final side is so ingrained into people’s memories you’ll not be the only person who forgot that Greavsie actually started in the side at that tournament. I may be wrong but I think John Connelly played in the opening group game as well. 

29 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah I think you’re correct in that he was available for the final mate , but Alf Ramsay didn’t want to change a winning team. That wc final side is so ingrained into people’s memories you’ll not be the only person who forgot that Greavsie actually started in the side at that tournament. I may be wrong but I think John Connelly played in the opening group game as well. 

Yes, Connelly played in the 0-0 v Uruguay and was then dropped. Start of Ramsey's "wingless wonders". 

• Like 1

I grew up watching Saint and Greavise on a Saturday lunch time.

It was a while before I learned that they were both former footballers. Oh how life was without YouTube and Google.

He scored boatloads of goals. Was he a selfish type? Did teams he play on succeed or did he take all the limelight? 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Saw Greaves play at Ewood, at Upton Park in his West Ham days and in his final year in non-league for Barnet when he strolled around in midfield

Best memory was Rovers' 7-2 thrashing of Spurs at Ewood in the early 1960s, probably the best Rovers performance I've seen

Greaves scored both Spurs goals IIRC

He took being injured and left out of Alf Ramsey's World Cup-winning team pretty hard, don't think he really recovered

Never saw him play myself, can you compare him to any of our strikers over the past 30yrs Jim? 

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

John Challis has died, he played Boycie in Only Fools and Horses, one the best British comedy’s ever.

RIP

Without a doubt Only Fools and Horses the best in TV comedy. Only last night I enjoyed a laugh, even though I'd seen it over and over again.

RIP John.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Without a doubt Only Fools and Horses the best in TV comedy. Only last night I enjoyed a laugh, even though I'd seen it over and over again.

RIP John.

The writing by John Sullivan was just tremendous CB, sadly another one no longer with us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Never saw him play myself, can you compare him to any of our strikers over the past 30yrs Jim? 

Robbie Fowler at his LFC peak was a lot like him Gav. I can’t think of a comparable Rovers striker tbh. Shearer was a different type of player really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherry Blue said:

RIP John.

Firstly, John Challis was a comedian legend and will be missed by everyone. RIP John

Secondly, Only Fools and Horses is and always be the best TV comedy show ever. I can't think of any current TV comedy that comes close to matching it. 

I have been watching episodes of Only fools and Horses including this morning on Gold. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, Connelly played in the 0-0 v Uruguay and was then dropped. Start of Ramsey's "wingless wonders". 

After the 0-0 draw Terry Paine and then Ian Callaghan played on the wing in the next two games against Mexico and France. Ramsey still wasn’t happy with conventional wingers and how it was going though and he brought in Alan Ball who played right through the rest of the games including the final.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gav said:

Was he as good as people say @47er

Condolences to his family.

Yes he was, the best player in a one on one with the keeper situation I ever saw. He made going around the goalkeeper look ridiculously easy, a goal was a formality if he was bearing down on goal. He was coolness personified in a crowded goal mouth. He didn’t run around much off the ball but he really came alive when he got in possession. You could watch him for hours and not know what foot he favoured, he was really good off either side.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces