BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Wanted 2 strikers URGENTLY

needed central driving midfielder URGENTLY

splash the cash 

the team looks fit, solid and just needs a bit of tinkering.

One things for sure there is no Championship team as fit and mobile as Liverpool were last night and for the most we coped ok.

Venkys splash the cash? ?:angry2::blink:

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely. Agents have been around forever. The market is what it is as well. All this "the market is overpriced" guff is doublespeak for either "We've misjudged the market badly" or "We've  no adequate funding  available and we never did have".

This

10 minutes ago, AAK said:

Peterborough chairman announcing today which club is in talks with maddison, or so he says.

I think it is us as we are becoming recognised experts in 'protracted talks' with players.

Which reminds me, how is Bradley's imminent signing of a new contract coming along? He was absent from the new kit photo for a reason.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Which reminds me, how is Bradley's imminent signing of a new contract coming along? He was absent from the new kit photo for a reason.

Wouldn't put too much truck in that either way.

Still remember Shearer modelling the new CIS sponsored kit on the back page of the LT in the summer of 96'... then a week later...

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Neal said:

I really don't see us spending a million on a player. 

Me neither.

We've talked a lot on here about this guy but i've never seen a link with rovers and him (could be wrong) it seems to have been a suggestion which has snowballed somewhat.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Wouldn't put too much truck in that either way.

Still remember Shearer modelling the new CIS sponsored kit on the back page of the LT in the summer of 96'... then a week later...

I blanked that out of memory years ago:rover:

43 minutes ago, 47er said:

Venkys splash the cash? ?:angry2::blink:

The one thing I've learned about Venky's that you can rely on is that they always take the wrong option. The " Feel Good " factor at the Club from last season is slowly ebbing away. A modest amount of money spent on a couple of players who would definitely strengthen the first 11 would have maintained our momentum. What do they do ? Just fiddle while Rome burns as usual. Have we any evidence they actually know we got promoted last season ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The one thing about Venky's that you can rely on is that they always take the wrong option. The " Feel Good " factor at the Club from last season is slowly ebbing away. A modest amount of money spent on a couple of players who would definitely strengthen the first 11 would have maintained our momentum. What do they do ? Just fiddle while Rome burns as usual. Have we any evidence they actually know we got promoted last season ?

And they always load themselves with more debt! Absolutely useless.

Last night was a friendly so it's all about fitness and stretching the legs but going into the season starting Samuel on the wing either just to keep trying to justify him or because there is no one else isn't adequate to what will be needed in the Championship, more so if Conways starting on the left.

You'll get away with it in league 1 but it's a weak move for most games a league above, very poor if that turns out the case.

I think with just over two weeks to go before the start of the season the choices are becoming pretty obvious.

We need to spend decent money on a couple of strikers and one preferably two wide men. If We're not Prepared to do that then fine but I would say if we were to go through the season with the squad as it is now we'd be stone cold knockers to be relegated.

• Like 2

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Simple statement to venkys, no marquee signings, no fans attending games. I certainly won’t be splurging money to watch our enivitable relegation with current squad

I’m Rovers till I die, I’m Rovers till I die..

• Like 2

If Armstrong is available for 3 million, we need to sign him. No messing around. He can play in two of the positions we crucially need filling, he knows the club and fits in well with the players already here. I will be annoyed if he goes somewhere else for 3 million. It's undoubtedly an investment 

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If Armstrong is available for 3 million, we need to sign him. No messing around. He can play in two of the positions we crucially need filling, he knows the club and fits in well with the players already here. I will be annoyed if he goes somewhere else for 3 million. It's undoubtedly an investment 

Yeah, but Venkys.

No way are we spending £3m on one player, if that was the case I think we would have had the deal tied up by now.

In my humble opinion to get this squad up to level I reckon we need to spend 7-10 million. Anything less and it’s lower to relegation. Time for venkys to show a bit of ambition and roll the dice without putting future in jeapordy. 3 mill Armstrong, 1 mill Bauer, 1 mill chapman is a good start

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would have thought for 3m we could do better and get more of an out and out striker but then again I'm not privy to the market.

As you say if we hypothetically spent 3m on Armstrong it would be unlikely we'd lose that money as at the very worst he should retain his value.

At the moment though it's looking very unlikely We're prepared to spend that much on a player, the evidence to date suggests the budget is only comparably to last year's 1.3m plus loans and that having been priced out of the market We're being forced to consider loan deals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

I agree that the say might have switched now to Waggot and co but imo they are working within the parameters of an overall budget rather than a few million pot set aside as such. He sounds like he's got his finger on the pulse as regards costings and actually income plus estimated extra income so I think he'll be keeping a tight reign on it to come in this season with all football costs plus investment on that overall budget.

No bad thing it's the right way to do it at last and maybe a watered down version of Williams under the trust in it's later years. I don't think knocking on Venkys door saying we really want this Bauer can you find us an extra million to buy him would have any legs whatsoever. Knocking on that door and saying can we stretch the budget to accommodate a loan signing like Gallagher just might, that's the way the seem to like to do it.

I think that’s a bit of assumptious, if I’m honest. I don’t think that the owners will have much interest/say in the transfers of the club anymore, and I’m quite sure they wouldn’t have preference for permenant or loan.

If they did, surely they’d be more likely to stretch the permenant? Chance for regaining fees? As opposed to a nominal loan fee and wages that can’t be recouped?

Im now in the camp that believes the owners input is barely more than signing quarterly cheques. I also think this will work if they’re happy to keep the top facilities and academy running and still allow a modest “building” budget.

I can live without us spending more than 1m in fees or big wages IF we can find young, hungry and potential improving options. That takes time, hence why I’m still relaxed.

I still think this squad will go into the season in a better place than the one that was 3-0 down to Norwich in our previous championship opener! 

• Like 1

Dack is probably holding off on signing a new deal until he see's what investment is put in to the transfer market and the quality of player he ends up having around him. 

Also, I feel if we wait it out with Armstrong, Newcastle may lower their asking price towards the end of the window - sit tight Tony.