BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

10 hours ago, Ossydave said:

We need to sign Vargas to partner him up top next season. Despite the obvious language barrier they seem to be building a good understanding. Instead we'll have Sam bumbling about like a semi tranquilized pony.

Vargas has always been an underperforming club player.  He is what's known as a "cup player": he's good in tournaments and short spurts.  There are players out there who for X reason never quite perform well for clubs  and seem to wind up at a different team every year, and yet somehow over perform for the national team.  Vargas is one such player.  He is highest scoring active player in the Copa America with 14 goals (tied for 5th all time Copa America leading scorer) and the 2nd ALL TIME scorer for Chile with 40 goals (behind Alexis w/46 goals).  He already had an unremarkable stint at Queens Park Rangers in the 2014-15 season, which ended with his injury and QPR relegated.  I would not wish him upon Rovers.  He is undisciplined party animal (involved, as usual, in the latest internal chilean alcohol-fuled barber scandal with fellow trouble-maker and drunk Arturo Vidal) and is unreliable for club.  And he's old. 

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 1

Chileans are hoping Ben Brereton stays away from the likes of Arturo Vidal and Vargas ("the rotten apples"), and from what you can see on social media, he is.  He is seen socializing with temm captain Claudio Bravo (played at Manchester Shitty), and especially Mauricio Isla (played at QPR with Vargas) who along with Alexis Sanchez (out with injury) all speak some Tarzan-version of English.  BB seems in good spirits and is learning plenty of chilean curse words with his new mates.  Along with Aranguiz, these are the "good apples" of the team.

It appears to be following the 1-1 draw against Uruguay earlier that day.  In it, Mauricio Isla tells his team mate in spanish "they only want to see him!" and repeatedly tells BB "you number one, Alexis Sanchez finished!  You are number one!  You're Presidente de Chile!"  Later, Claudio Bravo conveys to Isla that social media is requesting Brereton be taught some Chilean curse words.  The video ends with Brereton saying "Hola Chile" and "Chilenos culiaos" (literally "bum fucked chileans" or "fucking chileans!") and Isla exclaiming about BB "...This guy is so lovely!"

Ben10 (Ben Diez, not Ben Ten) seems to be the most common nickname for the Anglo-Chilean.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 6

Just now, LordBaltimore said:

Later, Claudio Bravo conveys to Isla that social media is requesting Brereton be taught some Chilean curse words.  The video ends with Brereton saying "Hola Chile" and "Chilenos culiaos" (literally "bum fucked chileans" or "fucking chileans!") and Isla exclaiming about BB "...This guy is so lovely!"

And how did that go down?

56 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And how did that go down?

Great!  Cursewords & expressions translate poorly, even within the languages [no other spanish speakers use "culiao" besides chileans] so no one of course took offense to this or took it personally.  He doesnt know what he is saying.  It's like teaching a child to curse.  It's the innocence that makes it cute, funny, and endearing.  He is not learning Spanish, he is learning Chilean and there is a HUGE difference. 

Chileans value that he is cursing in chilean.  Curse words and chilean slang will aide Ben Diez in bonding further with his team mates & endears him even further to a chilean public that already loves him.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Great!  Cursewords & expressions translate poorly, even within the languages [no other spanish speakers use "culiao" besides chileans] so no one of course took offense to this or took it personally.  He doesnt know what he is saying.  It's like teaching a child to curse.  It's the innocence that makes it cute, funny, and endearing.  He is not learning Spanish, he is learning Chilean and there is a HUGE difference. 

Chileans value that he is cursing in chilean.  Curse words and chilean slang will aide Ben Diez in bonding further with his team mates & endears him even further to a chilean public that already loves him.

When I was first learning Spanish, the teacher did bring up on a regular basis the differences at times, between the South American Spanish and the traditional Spanish. It was interesting to know how some of it did differ so much.

Little words such as Olives for example are completely different, but the scary bit is getting a none offensive word, mixed up with offensive ones and there are several examples of that.

All good fun I guess.

My favourite by the way is es la leche, where the literal translation and the meaning in a certain context, are poles apart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Vargas has always been an underperforming club player.  He is what's known as a "cup player": he's good in tournaments and short spurts.  There are players out there who for X reason never quite perform well for clubs  and seem to wind up at a different team every year, and yet somehow over perform for the national team.  Vargas is one such player.  He is highest scoring active player in the Copa America with 14 goals (tied for 5th all time Copa America leading scorer) and the 2nd ALL TIME scorer for Chile with 40 goals (behind Alexis w/46 goals).  He already had an unremarkable stint at Queens Park Rangers in the 2014-15 season, which ended with his injury and QPR relegated.  I would not wish him upon Rovers.  He is undisciplined party animal (involved, as usual, in the latest internal chilean alcohol-fuled barber scandal with fellow trouble-maker and drunk Arturo Vidal) and is unreliable for club.  And he's old. 

Yeah I don't think our recruitment will spread as far as signing players from Brazilian leagues for one minute, just an observation they link up well and that I can't see our Sam replicating it.

• Like 1

Benjamín Bréreton continues to bond with his team mates.  The earlier video of Isla teaching Ben Diez Chilean Spanish went viral and made the news, further endearing him to the Chilean public.  

So now in this video [Titled "Claudio Bravo and Mauricio Isla Teasing Ben Brereton"], BB is being coy about participating in any more Chilean lessons from Isla and Bravo (at least on video!), aware of how much media attention he gets for whatever he does now.  

The audio begins with BB staying, about Isla's language teaching abilities as "Bad!  Very Bad".  Isla then states "He says he doesn't want to talk.  He says he made too much press.  He's being shy.  [to Claudio Bravo] He's being shy, isn't he?"  To which Bravo replies "He doesn't want to take advantage of the great professor we set him up with."  BB replies by shaking his head and thumbs down.  Isla ends by saying "so we're gonna have to talk to Luis Suarez", because the last chilean player in frame bears a slight resemblance to the Uruguayan.

Edited by LordBaltimore

In this other short clip [Titled "Ben Brereton Teasing 'Posh' Sierralta"], Isla and Brereton "take the mickey" out of Francisco Sierralta, defender for Watford and another player Brereton has been spending time with since he also speaks Tarzan English.  "Cuico" means posh or high class.  There are parallels between the Chilean and British class systems and like in the UK your accent can mark you as high or low born.  Most footballers in South America are from the lower or working classes but a few upper middle class players sneak through.  I have no idea if Sierralta is posh or not but he is from the posh part of Santiago. 

So in this video, Isla is making fun of Sierralta's supposed posh Chilean accent.  He begins by telling Ben Diez "The people want you to talk like Sierralta", and BB obliges.  Isla then immitates a high class speech pattern and encourages BB to do it too, which he does.  Bravo ends by saying he is both the Spanish and English teacher for the team, which is scary!

Edited by LordBaltimore

All this talk of them getting an 'easy ride' .... So they bloody should whilst they're wearing our shirt. The most talented they may not be, but they didn't set the transfer fee. Certainly in the case of Ben it looks like there may be a player in there if utilized correct.

And so it begins....Marcelo Bielsa and his Leeds United are looking at BB.  There are sure to be a lot of rumors about Premiere League teams eyeing Brereton.  Bielsa has the ability to work miracles and make his players not only better athletes but better human beings as well.  For BB, nothing would be better than being coached by Bielsa [and for the Chilean national team as well].  Whether it is better for Rovers is another question.  Offloading someone for whom Rovers overpaid and who doesnt seem to fit into Mowbray's system may not be such a bad thing.  But i have a hard time seeing Bb play for Bielsa.  I like the guy vut he's a bit of a stiff [log, as we say in Spanish.].

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/blackburn-rovers-forward-ben-brereton-on-marcelo-bielsas-radar-as-leeds-united-eye-move/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not only can I see it, I guarantee that BBD under Bielsa is a different Beast entirely than under Mowbray. Goes for any player.

Of course, BB would be better under any manager, but especially Beisla. I just don't buy it. BB mania sells right now and Beisla is a lazy link. BB wasnt even Chilean two years ago and I highly doubt he caught Biesla's eye back then.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Of course, BB would be better under any manager, but especially Beisla. I just don't buy it. BB mania sells right now and Beisla is a lazy link. BB wasnt even Chilean two years ago and I highly doubt he caught Biesla's eye back then.

Ahhh I misunderstood you :) agreed!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Just cant see it - looks like lazy journalism to me. Beisla has been interested in BB since he played against him two seasons ago? He was awful two seasons ago.

I might agree with you.  And even did for a bit.  But this news seems to be popping up everywhere today, from Mexico to Argentina and the UK.  Seems Brereton is one of 3 players Bielsa has instructed Leeds United director of football Victor Orta to keep a close eye on (the other two being a Hungarian player, Attila Szabi of Fenerbace and Spaniard Javi Galan of Huesca).  But it really doesn't matter.  There will always be rumors of transfers and interest in football and you are probably correct in that it's essentially clickbait.  It worked on me.

So in a nutshell the Chile coaching staff have got more out of Brereton in a three weeks than Mowbray and his staff have in three years, so much so he is being linked with one of the worlds best coaches. Sam Gallagher should check his ancestry to see if he has any distant Venezuelan relatives.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

So in a nutshell the Chile coaching staff have got more out of Brereton in a three weeks than Mowbray and his staff have in three years, so much so he is being linked with one of the worlds best coaches. Sam Gallagher should check his ancestry to see if he has any distant Venezuelan relatives.

Disagree. I don't think he's played his best for Chile yet.

And also, if he was/is playing well on the international stage, you really gonna say it's in spite of the club that has had him since 19 years old and made him a better player than when he came in??