BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He's has 18 months left on his contract technically..

Would anyone have give him a new contract 6 months ago? Very few of us I guess

Disagree with your second sentence. He's been one of our best players since the first lockdown and 6 months ago he was still 21.

However, IF we have the 12-month extension option then it's not a big deal. He's unlikely to be here next season, whatever!

Yes. He's young and we paid a fair whack for him. Had to tie down the asset regardless of what you thought of his form.

Although, without the Chile call-up, I expect he would've signed an extension this summer.

Edited by S8 & Blue

2 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

since he sighed the ones who have booed and hated him will be the ones who panic the most when interest comes in, the same ones who wrote off the likes of gestede will they ever learn ?  Brereton came here young with a 7m price tag on his head it was always gonna take time now it’s paying off. 

Rubbish! Not a single poster on here hated him. On the contrary everyone desperately wanted him to succeed but despaired that he ever would.Now he has we probably won't see much more of him!

We haven't got an administration worthy of the name so ironically he could see his contract out and leave for nothing. Since this was allegedly Balaji's own money and investment I suspect he'll be flying over with a crowbar in his pocket should this occur!

But let's not reinvent history. This was not a good signing. If we had spent £4 million say, on a decent striker to play upfront with Armstrong and spent £8M on the defence, don't you think we might have gone up?

I'm willing to admit I never thought he would make anything of himself and after 3 bloody years he has. I wonder if his mother had been English would things have turned out this way? But it doesn't changed the fundamental point that ,at the time he wasn't what we wanted. Neither was Gallagher.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Rubbish! Not a single poster on here hated him. On the contrary everyone desperately wanted him to succeed but despaired that he ever would.Now he has we probably won't see much more of him!

We haven't got an administration worthy of the name so ironically he could see his contract out and leave for nothing. Since this was allegedly Balaji's own money and investment I suspect he'll be flying over with a crowbar in his pocket should this occur!

But let's not reinvent history. This was not a good signing. If we had spent £4 million say, on a decent striker to play upfront with Armstrong and spent £8M on the defence, don't you think we might have gone up?

I'm willing to admit I never thought he would make anything of himself and after 3 bloody years he has. I wonder if his mother had been English would things have turned out this way? But it doesn't changed the fundamental point that ,at the time he wasn't what we wanted. Neither was Gallagher.

What are you on about. There are a considerable amount of ‘supporters’ who didn’t rate him, saying he would never make it. You lot know who you are. 
Your second point is again incorrect. If Ben doesn’t sign then he’s NOT on a free. It will go to the tribunal to determine his worth, and as his age, recent goal scoring, and full international he won’t be cheap. I would expect AT LEAST the same as Armstrong’s fee, if not more.

2 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

What are you on about. There are a considerable amount of ‘supporters’ who didn’t rate him, saying he would never make it. You lot know who you are. 
Your second point is again incorrect. If Ben doesn’t sign then he’s NOT on a free. It will go to the tribunal to determine his worth, and as his age, recent goal scoring, and full international he won’t be cheap. I would expect AT LEAST the same as Armstrong’s fee, if not more.

Can you read? I said he"d never make it but I didn't hate him or boo him. I wanted him to succeed!

Those tribunals always rule on the low side by the way, never the open market fee.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that the Tribunal fee doesn't apply if he moves abroad. With his Chile exploits & the likes of Sevilla apparently sniffing around, this is a distinct possibility.

If this is correct, it's vital to tie him into a new contract now.

35 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I still don't rate him, and I don't think he has ,Made it.

40 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I didn't rate him and you know I'm delighted he has come good so I am happy to be wrong but for over two thirds of his time here the empirical evidence is that he was mostly poor, occasionally average and rarely good. He was sent to play with the under 23's ffs.

So I do know who I am.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Why is the word supporters placed in inverted commas? Does not rating a player or criticising a players performance in any way make you less of a supporter?

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

I said am since he sighed the ones who have booed and hated him will be the ones who panic the most when interest comes in, the same ones who wrote off the likes of gestede will they ever learn ?  Brereton came here young with a 7m price tag on his head it was always gonna take time now it’s paying off. 

the club needs to get his contract sorted number 1 priority with assurance that we won’t stand in his way if a big offer comes in for him but I think this delay is more to do with his agent than himself same with nyambe cause they both love it here they are in a big family but it’s always the agents that whisper in the ear, tbh I don’t know why footballers have them surely they can see they are cancer and leeches and they are capable of negotiating their own contracts ? 

I don't recall any booing or indeed any hating, but if nonsensical and petulant hyperbole helps you to get a point across, then fair enough.

In his first 18/24 months, he showed minimal if any signs of even being a promising talent, he looked hopeless, and I felt that Ewood was very supportive of him, I recall the happiness/relief for him after his goal v Bolton. This nasty supporter narrative that some seem keen to thrust forward at every opportunity really does confuse me.

To go off on a tangent, I suspect if he ever misses a key chance, a penalty, if Chile don't qualify for a tournament etc, the hostility there would be a lot more than a few moans and groans from a third full Ewood when something goes awry.

And I also suspect that all agents are not leeches comparable to a deadly disease, and indeed footballers are young men who are probably lacking the awareness to be able to successfully negotiate their own contracts, so I can understand why they pay someone more qualified to do it for them.

In the last few months? 

Buckley, Dolan, Carter and Wharton were given new contracts. Given that 2 of those players are key players/assests for the club this season and beyond. 

Well if he wants explore his options what can the club do.

I hope we can get him on a long term contract with 15 to 20 million pounds release clause in the contract 

All of them players will surely be right near the bottom of our wage structure, minimal to no interest from elsewhere, Wharton with an injury too, different ball game to our senior players who we are unable to offer sufficient terms to.

• Backroom

If we're being honest, if BBD gets an offer from a club in a better position than us, willing to pay more wages and with a higher chance of winning something he'd be crazy not to take that opportunity. I don't think the lad needs an agent to tell him that. It's clear he's willing to step outside his comfort zone by the fact he went and played for Chile despite not knowing the language or any of his team mates. With his international allegiance in mind a move to Spain would probably be the next logical step.

At this point it really is just a case of whether we sell him in January or the summer as far as I can see. I think hopes of him signing a new contract here, beyond the 12 month trigger, are highly likely to be dashed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agreed there. 3 years contract with wages same as Dack and 15 million pounds release clause in the deal. Seems a fair deal 

Dack is now trailing in Brereton's slipstream.

Brereton is 5 to 6 years younger, free from serious injury (historic or current), is cutting it at international level and getting global recognition.  Additionally, I think he has far more growth potential than Dack.

Could Brereton cut it in the PL - think he's far more likely to than Dack and also Armstrong who seemingly has found the step up more than a bit of a stretch!

Two points in my mind and the first point leads to my second point.  Firstly, his initial call up to the Chilean international team did wonders for his confidence and, IMO, was the catalyst for this season's startling progression.  This begs the question, just wtf have Mowbray and co been doing to this lad for the previous three seasons?!?!  Secondly, I don't think the point will be lost on either Brereton or his agent that his huge step forward seems to have been triggered outside his normal environment (Rovers, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe etc).  

Unless we see a change to our football coaching team (with Mowbray, Venus and Lowe all heading through the exit door) then if I was the lad's agent, I would be seeking a move to an ambitious and progressive club in order to accelerate Brereton's development and to see just how far the lad could go.  On Mowbray's journey, I think he's destined to continue playing for a team  where Championship mediocrity would be the zenith of achievement.

Brereton and his agent hold all the aces.  As his agent, I would be immediately be seeking a huge pay rise to make him the highest paid player at the club with a reasonable release close that would not put off PL and foreign suitors.  IMO, Rovers have no choice but to act with haste in order to protect their now most valuable asset.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Can you read? I said he"d never make it but I didn't hate him or boo him. I wanted him to succeed!

Those tribunals always rule on the low side by the way, never the open market fee.

Need need to shout, not very nice.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

WTF He’s the top scorer in the division, he’s an international who’s scoring for a South American country. What does he after do, score 30 in the Premiership to have arrived!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not sure where this argument is coming from. 18 months ago possibly not for some, but I wouldn't have complained as he was starting to look useful. 6 months ago? Absolutely. On bumper terms like he can command now, no, but by the summer he had shown he was improving markedly and that he was a player worth at least a few million. Given we had invested 7 million, were about to sell our best forward and didn't know yet about the 12 month extension option, why would anyone not have wanted us to extend his contract then?

I feel like the pandemic is making people lose track of time. After the first lockdown, Ben came back looking a much more useful player. Then came last season, where at times he was one of our best players and we frankly missed him when he got injured, our form dipping. He did take a little while getting back up to speed when returning from injury, but that's fairly normal and ole' Tone likes to rush people back from injury.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope we can get him on a long term contract with 15 to 20 million pounds release clause in the contract 

Why do you want a release clause in his contract, especially one that probably isn't too different to what we can expect next summer if he keeps this up?

We should avoid release clauses wherever possible, only agree to them when truly necessary, and put them as high as we can.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Brereton is 5 to 6 years younger, free from serious injury (historic or current), is cutting it at international level and getting global recognition.  Additionally, I think he has far more growth potential than Dack.

Could Brereton cut it in the PL - think he's far more likely to than Dack and also Armstrong who seemingly has found the step up more than a bit of a stretch!

Two points in my mind and the first point leads to my second point.  Firstly, his initial call up to the Chilean international team did wonders for his confidence and, IMO, was the catalyst for this season's startling progression.  This begs the question, just wtf have Mowbray and co been doing to this lad for the previous three seasons?!?!  Secondly, I don't think the point will be lost on either Brereton or his agent that his huge step forward seems to have been triggered outside his normal environment (Rovers, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe etc).  

Unless we see a change to our football coaching team (with Mowbray, Venus and Lowe all heading through the exit door) then if I was the lad's agent, I would be seeking a move to an ambitious and progressive club in order to accelerate Brereton's development and to see just how far the lad could go.  On Mowbray's journey, I think he's destined to continue playing for a team  where Championship mediocrity would be the zenith of achievement.

Brereton and his agent hold all the aces.  As his agent, I would be immediately be seeking a huge pay rise to make him the highest paid player at the club with a reasonable release close that would not put off PL and foreign suitors.  IMO, Rovers have no choice but to act with haste in order to protect their now most valuable asset.

You have conveniently ignored that last season, he was much improved (albeit unremarkably so) on his first 2 seasons to which a football pitch looked alien to him, and he didn't warrant more time.

I am sure that there are many factors that have led to this season's goalscoring form, not just the added confidence from his fame over in Chile. As mentioned, he had improved last season, further training has led to him using his body better, looking bigger and more powerful, improving technically etc, that can be put down to coaching. He also seems to have thrived now key players have left as the man (rather than Gallagher who has failed to do this) to really step up to fill the void and the responsibility. He takes penalties now, 3 extra goals and presumably more to come from that source

main player, taking penalties which will boost the goal tally and then his confidence.

It doesn't fit the constant narrative, but I very much doubt that Mowbray's future is key to Brereton's decision, and making out that he is a huge anchor on Brereton's potential development is unfair. Money is and will be the main factor, as will the potential chance to play at a higher level, much more key to any decision than Mowbray v other Championship managers. Seemingly a mixture of a somewhat counter-productive strict wage cap and a lack of proactivity have left us in a sticky situation, but lets not make out that the improvement is totally down to the Chilean manager/staff in a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Why do you want a release clause in his contract, especially one that probably isn't too different to what we can expect next summer if he keeps this up?

We should avoid release clauses wherever possible, only agree to them when truly necessary, and put them as high as we can.

Release clauses may become a necessary evil. It means that we could hopefully fit the player in within the wage structure, we accept that they may be sold at some point, but that point doesn't have to be now.

10 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Need need to shout, not very nice.

WTF He’s the top scorer in the division, he’s an international who’s scoring for a South American country. What does he after do, score 30 in the Premiership to have arrived!!!

He has scored 10 goals in the championship, and he has played in the eighth strongest South American side. I don't class that as made it.

• Moderation Lead

I think we need to stop using the benefit of hindsight to beat people over the head with a point and stop using revisionism too. 
For a long time, Brereton was pretty awful for us. He showed some more promise last season, but nowhere near the levels he’s shown since he started playing for Chile. 
I never wrote him off, but I certainly had concerns that we’d smashed a lot of money on a player that wasn’t delivering at that time.

Though obviously, I’m delighted he has, as it’s for the benefit of Blackburn Rovers FC and me of course, as a fan of said club.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Disagree with your second sentence. He's been one of our best players since the first lockdown and 6 months ago he was still 21.

However, IF we have the 12-month extension option then it's not a big deal. He's unlikely to be here next season, whatever!

I agree he has been one of best performing players since the first lockdown. 

I agree he is unlikely to be here next season

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good news for him, but not for Rovers for whom the likelihood of a new deal gets ever slimmer.

Need to offer him a wage at the top of our wage structure and have a bit of flexibility, goalscorers are worth the most and we simply cannot lose another asset for cut price. Sensible structure my arse.

Did we lose Armstrong for cut price  really given we got between 15 to 18 Million pounds. I heard similar arguments when we sold Gestede to Villa for 6 million we sold him cheap despite that being the higher bid we received and he wanted out. 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

really Rigger? 10 goals this season in the championship already for Rovers and he is Chilean International and scoring goals for them. Suggest you look again there at that post

46 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Mercer, you are ignoring his form from when the season resume after the first lockdown and then last season where he was good form of performing and scoring. 

I expected he will be gone by this summer 2022 to a PL club or La Liga club given his form and how he is performing this season for Rovers and Chile. 

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not sure where this argument is coming from. 18 months ago possibly not for some, but I wouldn't have complained as he was starting to look useful. 6 months ago? Absolutely. On bumper terms like he can command now, no, but by the summer he had shown he was improving markedly and that he was a player worth at least a few million. Given we had invested 7 million, were about to sell our best forward and didn't know yet about the 12 month extension option, why would anyone not have wanted us to extend his contract then?

I feel like the pandemic is making people lose track of time. After the first lockdown, Ben came back looking a much more useful player. Then came last season, where at times he was one of our best players and we frankly missed him when he got injured, our form dipping. He did take a little while getting back up to speed when returning from injury, but that's fairly normal and ole' Tone likes to rush people back from injury.

IMO, plenty would have argued against a new contract for him before this season or even last season. But we have been in talks with him for a while over a new contract. 

I have always been a fan of him and thought he would make it here and produced the goals he should here. Shame its come 3 years in but thats it. 

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It would be something his agent would ask for if if any new deal imo. 

50 minutes ago, rigger said:

He has scored 10 goals in the championship, and he has played in the eighth strongest South American side. I don't class that as made it.

I don’t believe you, are you just a windup merchant? Did you rate Armstrong? He was slow to start and look at his return. He’s got 10 goals and the seasons not at the half way stage. As for Chile they may not be a strong as seasons past, but all South American teams are some of the strongest on the planet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree he has been one of best performing players since the first lockdown. 

I agree he is unlikely to be here next season

Did we lose Armstrong for cut price  really given we got between 15 to 18 Million pounds. I heard similar arguments when we sold Gestede to Villa for 6 million we sold him cheap despite that being the higher bid we received and he wanted out. 

really Rigger? 10 goals this season in the championship already for Rovers and he is Chilean International and scoring goals for them. Suggest you look again there at that post

Mercer, you are ignoring his form from when the season resume after the first lockdown and then last season where he was good form of performing and scoring. 

I expected he will be gone by this summer 2022 to a PL club or La Liga club given his form and how he is performing this season for Rovers and Chile. 

Why should I look again at my post. It is what I believe. If you don't agree, that is your prerogative. I still don't class ten championship and two Chillean goals as, Made It. He scored a good goal this morning, and long may it continue, but that doesn't make him a good player. To me it makes him an improved player