BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

last summer did ben a world of good,playing with international players under a good manager in a fixed system,must have boosed his confidence massively,he even looked ok when he had to play centre forward away at barnsley,it`s not his preferred position but he did ok,if he`d been played there before this  season he`d have been hooked at half time,credit to mowbray i suppose in keeping his newly found confidence high,for 7 million quid though you expect the real deal and it`s taken him 3 seasons to even reach a level where he`s effective,still  a bad piece of business imo

Also the life experiences will have/ been a benefit to  him as well 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I would not say he is anywhere near our best player. I wouldn't even say he is our best forward, and that is a very shallow pond.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I can’t think of a better forward in our books currently although a very unpolished Dolan isn’t far behind

• Like 1

A lot is made of the Chilean callup for bringing him along, and I agree it has helped, but after the first lockdown is really when he started making strides. I don't think Chile would even have been interested until then.

• Like 4

Have you ever wanted to walk out onto the Ewood Pitch? Score a goal in front of the Blackburn end? 

Send me a message if you can get to Ewood tomorrow for 2pm for some Brereton Diaz fun…

4 hours ago, rigger said:

I would not say he is anywhere near our best player. I wouldn't even say he is our best forward, and that is a very shallow pond.

On his general play id agree, but his goals to game ratio is outstanding. Sometimes you've got to put opinions aside and say the boys doing exceptionally well.

Thats where the criticism of Mowbray needs to be checked. He's brought in a guy who most thought was terrible and hes now top scorer in the Championship (straight after Armstrong who was similar criticised). 

Rough with the smooth, Mowbray has found some decent players.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

On his general play id agree, but his goals to game ratio is outstanding. Sometimes you've got to put opinions aside and say the boys doing exceptionally well.

Thats where the criticism of Mowbray needs to be checked. He's brought in a guy who most thought was terrible and hes now top scorer in the Championship (straight after Armstrong who was similar criticised). 

Rough with the smooth, Mowbray has found some decent players.

90 games, 18 goals, Not that good. 

49 minutes ago, J*B said:

Have you ever wanted to walk out onto the Ewood Pitch? Score a goal in front of the Blackburn end? 

Send me a message if you can get to Ewood tomorrow for 2pm for some Brereton Diaz fun…

If only I wasn't in sunny Skelmersdale.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Damn, what a time for me to be isolating! Would have been able to make that nearly any other Friday of the year.

Well I said I’d report back but there’s really not a lot to report. Lost 2-0, dreadful performance by Chile and BBD did nothing of note, looked pretty lost up front and failed to read his team-mates’ play (and at times vice versa). Hooked on 77’ which was at least 20 minutes after I’d have taken him off…

Chile’s qualification hopes looking very grim now, this is a poor team compared to recent years. The atmosphere on Sunday against Paraguay will be interesting if they go behind..

Edited by PotterLog

Chile comfortably won the possession and passes stats but offered next to nothing in attack. Slow passing game that lacked accuracy the odd time they tried a long ball.

I would have hooked Sanchez, useless and a pale shadow of a great player.

BBD has emerged on the Chile scene at a difficult time with the side needing quite major change. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

As always BBD's endeavour could not be faulted and playing as a front player in the current setup is a hard chore.

How the hell did that Peru player escape a card near the end. A more deliberate savage kick would be hard to find.

• Like 1

Looking at the standings there’s barely any chance of them qualifying. They seem in a bad way compared to the team of a few years ago. The South American qualifiers are extremely well balanced compared to Europe, with no Andorras or San Marinos for an easy 3 points, so hard to see them going on a good run. Still got Brazil and Argentina to play too.

• Like 1

With so many European nations these days (post Yugoslavia and USSR collapse in the early 90s), qualifiers have become a procession (largely) for the top teams. Long way from the days of really tough groups, as you say we’ve got both San Marino and Andorra in this group!

The South American qualifying group looks a right battle in comparison.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

As much as it's been great for BB, it says a lot about the strength of the Chile team right now. I remember the days of Marcelo Salas when they looked really good.

Fun fact, our own Carlos Villaneuva played in the Chile team with Salas. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geedog13 said:

I must admit after watching the u23s I have found myself asking the Sam burns question alot, even more so after Armstrong left what does he need to do to get a go at the next stage up? 

Me also, really looking forward to tonight’s game. He reminds me of Simon Garner. Hope he doesn’t take up smoking and drinking pints. Used to live near him in Fenny, lovely fella. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

As much as it's been great for BB, it says a lot about the strength of the Chile team right now. I remember the days of Marcelo Salas when they looked really good.

Fun fact, our own Carlos Villaneuva played in the Chile team with Salas. 

You don’t have to go back that far either, they were a fantastic team only 6/7 years ago when they won the Copa America twice and outplayed Spain in the World Cup. It’s been a steady decline since then and there really doesn’t look to be much of a new generation coming through (partly explaining the zealous pinning of hopes on BBD)..

Edited by PotterLog
  • Like 3