BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

8 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

it's a two way street.  i understand Blackburn have to abide by the rules imposed upon them by the league and government.  but Blackburn have demonstrated no interest in cooperating with the Chilean FA regarding some kind of compromise, like some other English teams did with other affected FAs.  the statements this week by Mowbray saying BBD would not be made available for October's qualifiers demonstrate a lack of good will.  the whole "red country" bullshit is just an excuse, a convenient if binding cover.  if Chile are removed from this "red list" in the next week, would that change Blackburn's mind for October qualifiers?  No. (why Chile is on that "red list" i do not know). 

if Blackburn doesn't want to play ball, i think it's fair for Chile to enforce Fifa rules as much as it sucks for BBD.  BBD's value will go up as a player when he takes the field against Brazil, not against Luton Town or whatever.  Players have to be made available for interantionals on fifa dates.  Them's the rules.  BBD should have done what Vidal and many other south american players in similar situations did, which was just go play for your country anyway and deal with the consequences when you return.  Players face consequences when they break the rules, and teams do too.

it is a shit situation to be in.  for Blackburn, for Chile, for BBD.  

Chileans are upset not because he wasn't able to make the trip but because Blackburn Rovers (whoever it is that is in charge of such things in the organization) are seen to be doing everything possible to impede his trip, that is, Rovers are not seen as innocent bystanders who are being forced into a decision they don't want to make by forces greater than themselves.  When a team takes that attitude towards a national player, people get upset.  Rovers are seen as the villains, fairly or not.  When your team doesn't win, doesn't score goals, and is sinking down the standings, it is even more upsetting. 

So much of football is about emotion, isn't it?  You want rational fans, go watch chess.  Rovers have their interests and Chile fans do too.

Will the Chilean FA pay his wages while he misses 3 games for us due to quarantining? Our squad is threadbare up top - so much that we have to rely on a player that isn't much good anyway. We lost an actual good striker in the transfer window and didn't replace. Behind BB, we have untested kids.

We pay his wages, Chile doesn't. We shouldn't get punished because somehow a lad from Stoke is now Chilean and suddenly your best player (doesn't say much for your side). Painting the clubs as villains in all this is complete BS. This is not just affecting Chile, look at all the Brazilians that cannot field players from Europe. Man City has 3 of them, Liverpool etc. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

the whole "red country" bullshit is just an excuse, a convenient if binding cover.  if Chile are removed from this "red list" in the next week, would that change Blackburn's mind for October qualifiers?  No. (why Chile is on that "red list" i do not know). 

Of course it would make a difference. If Chile were not on the red list BB wouldn't have to miss three games. 

Why they are on the red list I do not know. I don't know why people can't test test on the day of travel and then test on day two.

As it stands, you can't have a club paying a players wages but not being able to use that player. Companies for example don't have to pay employees who are called up for Jury service. Besides, even if Chile or FIFA payed the wages for the missed three games, the cost to the club should they narrowly miss out on going up or staying up could be much, much more significant.

• Like 2

There’s no logic to why Chile is on the UK’s red list, but then when has logic been part of our Government pandemic planning. Currently the whole of South America is red.

There is a reasonable chance that Chile might move to amber which would free Ben up to travel to play in at least the two home games. Chile are also due to play Peru away so Peru would also have to change to amber for that but that’s also a reasonable possibility.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 10:44, TheRoversReturn said:

Wonderful story. Barely 22 years old and scoring the winner in the Copa America while playing for Rovers. There's a player in there...it's taking a while to come out, but it's happening.

Chile's own Big Ben!

It's been years in the making...but the player in there is starting to blossom.

Now, we need to tie him down to a contract...

33 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Cant imagine him signing a new contract unfortunately.

It’ll be similar to Armstrong at this rate. We can offer him improved terms but if he’s getting interest from PL sides then that’s that. 

The turnaround in fortunes with him is ridiculous. He was a joke figure little more than 12 months ago. Remarkable.

• Like 1

Could Rovers have a 1 year unilateral extension clause that they can activate - as they have used with Nyambe and Chapman which could keep Brereton until 2023? Or has it already been activated? Nonetheless, if he doesn't sign soon, the club must sell him. We can't afford to let all high value assets leave on frees or compensation based on hypothetical future achievements.

Brereton reminds me, in a vague way, to Robbie Savage, in terms of his desire and confidence which sometimes compensates for limited technical ability. His bizarre second goal against Cardiff sums this up. He also has pace which makes a difference.

I think it's quite rare for a forward with limited technical ability to have the confidence to run at defenders. Most look to retain the ball, in fear of losing possession. Brereton's self-belief, alongside his pace, are probably his biggest assets.

I expected Brereton to sink without trace at Rovers and I think, without the Chile call-up, that may well have happened. He seems to have more belief than ever and will benefit from playing more centrally, where he can threaten the goal. Like Gallagher, I believe his technical limits mean that Championship is his level.

Edited by riverholmes

34 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It’ll be similar to Armstrong at this rate. We can offer him improved terms but if he’s getting interest from PL sides then that’s that. 

The turnaround in fortunes with him is ridiculous. He was a joke figure little more than 12 months ago. Remarkable.

Worse still, Spanish clubs see the value of Chilean fans - and we get nowt.

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Why don’t you check out the UEFA/FIFA rules.

Why don't you provide a link. Its been well documented on here that a free transfer abroad brings us nothing. You'tre countering that, so its up to you to provide the facts/evidence.

Heck even Tm mentioned it.

Edited by JacknOry

• Backroom

I wanted this lad to come good but never believed he had this in him.

At times he barely looked an athlete never mind a footballer, the transformation is unreal, yes the Chile story has been brilliant but remember he was training down at Darwen and similar keeping himself focussed and sharp 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So we sign a 7m player, barely play him for 18 months, then when he finally starts coming good, we haven't kept an eye on his contract and he ends up walking out for next to nothing.

Only in Mowbray and Waggott land  

Don’t worry, changes are on the horizon.

• Like 5

See here's the thing for me. If I were an agent and not a Rovers fan I wouldn't be encouraging Ben to sign a new contract at Rovers. Why should he? He'll get a big signing on bonus somewhere, his stock with the international call up and goals this season is sky high and a bigger/more successful club will take a punt on him.

After all, why wouldn't they? How much is he worth at the moment if under contract? A hearty signing on fee would be a fraction of that. I'd say he's an attractive option on the market for the more ambitious championship teams looking for a striker next year. 

The best (and imo) only option in damage limitation that Rovers have available to him is to offer him a contract with a low buy out clause. It'd well under his market value if he continues as he is and was under contract but it would allow us to recoup something from him rather than letting him go for nothing.