BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan V ROVERS 28/11/18

Williams was awful in the relegation season. Managers aren't daft - many teams targeted him as a weakness in our defence.  His frailties were hidden last season because of the poor opposition but his lack of pace and poor positional sense are being exposed again.  He's just one of a number of problems though, not least in central defence. Can we have  Duffy and Hanley back please?  

Edited by jim mk2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Williams was awful in the relegation season. Managers aren't daft - many teams targeted him as a weakness in our defence.  His frailties were hidden last season because of the poor opposition but his lack of pace and poor positional sense are being exposed again.  He's just one of a number of problems though. Can we have  Duffy and Hanley back please?  

I know when Rovers signed Williams, Cryer seemed to find it incredulous as he was deemed to be third choice for his beloved Bristol City.

How he once won our player of the year award......................................certainly didn't get my vote!

Just now, Mercer said:

I know when Rovers signed Williams, Cryer seemed to find it incredulous as he was deemed to be third choice for his beloved Bristol City.

How he once won our player of the year award......................................certainly didn't get my vote!

Well you couldn’t vote for Coyle as well, obv.

3 hours ago, Franky said:

TM “we have to get back to basics”

When a manger says this it is usually the beginning of the end

vote of confidence to follow shortly

Even if we were rock bottom, 15 points adrift they wouldn’t bother with a vote of confidence speech. Like guessing the weather with this lot.

3 hours ago, Franky said:

TM “we have to get back to basics”

Before the Preston game TM was on the radio saying something like he 'teaches the dark arts of defending' (i.e. - sly fouling). It made me wonder if that's why we give so many penalties away - Leniham came to mind.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a stat perfectly highlighting our total lack of attacking plan going forward and that comes down to the manager. So even if he is frustrated watching the players are doing his gameplan, and its him that needs to sort it. You dont like the stat because it highlights Mowbrays problems at the moment in black and white.

Because you never are willing to criticise him when he makes stupid decisions.

I never asked why is he playing him there. I said just because he has said why he thinks its a good idea doesnt mean it is a good idea, yesterday blatantly proved it is not and he should have signed an actual centre back.

Whatever the supposed reasoning behind the change, it didnt work.

When Martinez took Wigan down?

cos I don't believe them to be stupid decisions but I try to understand why Mowbray has done what he has done and his thinking. 

You can moan and whinge about Rodwell to the cows come home but it aint changing out. 

nope when Martinez kept them up. Research it and you will the answers. 

8 hours ago, Neal said:

My dad has previous with managers outside the ground at Wigan, he almost had a scrap with Paul Ince which turned into a heated a gentlemanly discussion as they walked round the car park at Wigan ?Anyways... Phoned me last night at 10.40 but I couldn't answer, I knew exactly what he was ringing me about, I'd have bet every penny I have he'd met the manager after ringing me at that time. So I calls him today and lo and behold he has.  

Some of you know my dad and Macky (who chaired the Ewood protest meetings), as they left the pub last night the team bus was still there so Macky walks on it pretending to me one of the staff ? when quizzed about what he was doing Macky said "I just wanted to speak to the manager", anyways as they turned round they heard someone say "alright lads?" Mowbray got off the coach to speak to them. 

Keep in mind I'm relaying what was said so it might not be word for word... "what can I say? That was absolutely f*cking embarrasing, I'm f*cking pissed off, they've let the club down, they've let themselves down, they've let me down and you down. I'm absolutely f*cking embarrassed. You lot pay you money and follow us round and they play like that? Absolutely f*cking unacceptable. At which point he apperently apologised to some of the women who were present but said he couldn't help it because of "how pissed off" he was... "I tell you what though, we will f*cking win on Saturday, I'm telling you". My dad didn't say what questions were asked of him but he went on to say "I feel embarrassed talking to you after that but I've told them all exactly what I think". The conversation carried on for some time I think... Mowbray went on "I have to go (apparently because bus was ready to go) but finished by saying... "I've got to go but I'm telling you, we f*cking will win on Saturday" and thanked them for coming before he shook their hands and had some photos with them before he left. 

I think there was a lot more to the conversation than that, it went on for a little while by the sounds of it but that was the main jist of it I think. Perhaps there might be someone present who can correct it or give a more accurate account and fill in the blanks that I missed. What my dad said was that he didn't just look pissed off, he looked upset, tearful almost but also fired up. From the sounds of it I think they were all a bit shocked by his reaction. 

If there's anything I missed out I'll edit the post. 

thanks for sharing Neal that story. Its sounds just like Mowbray and his passion and desire coming through. 

I'm pleased he lost his temper with the players and told them straight. Its sounds like the players haven't been listen to him. 

I really hope he plays Rothwell from the start

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

cos I don't believe them to be stupid decisions but I try to understand why Mowbray has done what he has done and his thinking. 

You can moan and whinge about Rodwell to the cows come home but it aint changing out. 

nope when Martinez kept them up. Research it and you will the answers. 

thanks for sharing Neal that story. Its sounds just like Mowbray and his passion and desire coming through. 

I'm pleased he lost his temper with the players and told them straight. Its sounds like the players haven't been listen to him. 

I really hope he plays Rothwell from the start

Whether you try to empathise and understand or not. They were the incorrect decisions, they led to a woeful result and a woeful performance.

Your problem is if he makes a correct decision, you judge him on that. If he makes a wrong decision, you listen to what he says in an interview and judge him on his intentions, always taking them as logical even if the result on the pitch shows otherwise.

Thats always your argument when you have nothing constructive to say. I know it wont make a difference what I say but its a messageboard and if I think a decision he has made or continues to make is wrong I will say it.

The reason you cause so much controversy is because you cannot tolerate any criticism of Mowbray even when he is wrong. Would you have made that sub?

Would you have signed Rodwell as a centre back? Would you continue to play Smallwood and Evans? Would you continue to use Brereton and Rothwell so sparingly? Would you continue to play long ball football?

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whether you try to empathise and understand or not. They were the incorrect decisions, they led to a woeful result and a woeful performance.

Your problem is if he makes a correct decision, you judge him on that. If he makes a wrong decision, you listen to what he says in an interview and judge him on his intentions, always taking them as logical even if the result on the pitch shows otherwise.

Thats always your argument when you have nothing constructive to say. I know it wont make a difference what I say but its a messageboard and if I think a decision he has made or continues to make is wrong I will say it.

The reason you cause so much controversy is because you cannot tolerate any criticism of Mowbray even when he is wrong. Would you have made that sub?

Would you have signed Rodwell as a centre back? Would you continue to play Smallwood and Evans? Would you continue to use Brereton and Rothwell so sparingly? Would you continue to play long ball football?

very easy after a game but not at the time. 

I will judge Mowbray on the same things as always. don't like tough!

I would have took Dack and Smallwood off and bought on Rothwell and Brereton at half time

Look at the team I would have picked for the Wigan game and the team I would pick for Sheff Wednesday game. Will answer your smallwood Evans question. I keep putting Brereton in my team recently for a number of week, FFS, so that's should answer that question. Look at the team Ive picked for Sheff Wednesday game, does that suggest long ball? really?

I never thought we would sign Rodwell. I have suggest who I would have signed for that position in the summer,

13 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Thanks. I was away. I can't bring myself to watch it...maybe in a few weeks...maybe never.

The texts I was getting from my son in London told me all I need to know.

The phrase "playing like a fcking Coyle team" does nothing for your spirits on a nightmare  journey on a shit, privatised circus rail service!

The privatised rail service before BR took over was far better than the one we have now.

On 29/11/2018 at 07:59, perthblue02 said:

I bet @tonyoz is waking up in this part of the world, thinking thank god I wont have to do the player assesment for another game as bad as Preston :)

Double vegimite on toast mate and a slab of VB, will help you through the Wigan game

Sadly, I got up to watch it live. i’ve never learned my lesson!

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

it was so bad that I for once cannot bring myself to look at your player ratings :( - I am depressed enough!

Oh no! You can’t do that to me! It was bad enough having to write it.......but if nobody reads it........................(maniacal laughter here......)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Williams ‘attempt’ really does get worse every time you watch it. Inexcusable. Simply cannot be in the side on Saturday - would send completely the wrong message that dipping your toe in, doing a pirouette and barely jogging back is acceptable. 

He looks absolutely gassed tracking back on that one. Which is bizarre for a player playing CB who was subbed on at halftime...

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Williams was awful in the relegation season. Managers aren't daft - many teams targeted him as a weakness in our defence.  His frailties were hidden last season because of the poor opposition but his lack of pace and poor positional sense are being exposed again.  He's just one of a number of problems though, not least in central defence. Can we have  Duffy and Hanley back please?  

I suppose it was like a 'tallest midget' award for that year, but always struck me as odd he was given our player of the year award in 16-17. Seemed to be awarded for him managing to be our consistent (and mediocre) LB that year while everywhere else was such a shitshow... We had worse problems that year, and I think 'awful' is harsh, but I agree he was hardly a bright light!

Williams has always been a Jekyll-Hyde player for me... I'd argue he's actually had some pretty solid games as a CB, he generally looked good in L1 last year (against generally poor opposition, as you said), and it's nice to have his LB/CB flexibility as a backup, but I've never been convinced by him as a LB, defensively or offensively (despite his best efforts on the latter...) and he's very hit-or-miss as a CB. I don't mind him as a backup option, but not a starter at this level.

I'd hoped him and Bell competing for the starting LB spot would end up producing a decent LB for us this year, but both have disappointed so far. Bell more so as I expected him to run away with it.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

That's how I felt about the Bell signing I thought he had potential and was quicker and would naturally take over as first choice LB, surely that's why we chased him, hung in there and paid a fee etc.  Again nothing against Williams but i'd also see him as handy squad man rather than main man, Bell has been messed about a bit though especially when he first came so if you don't get a run then it's hard to nail down the spot.

Personally now i'd be after a decent LB who's main attribute is he can defend and get rid of one of the other two it's time to dispense with this silly wing backs or 3 at the back as anything more than a desperate in game option. Neither full back out of the three of them ate good enough for it we've seen it time and again and when we go three at the back Mulgrew is all over the shop and Williams can't get to grips with knowing whether he should be left centre or left back !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

He looks absolutely gassed tracking back on that one. Which is bizarre for a player playing CB who was subbed on at halftime...

I suppose it was like a 'tallest midget' award for that year, but always struck me as odd he was given our player of the year award in 16-17. Seemed to be awarded for him managing to be our consistent (and mediocre) LB that year while everywhere else was such a shitshow... We had worse problems that year, and I think 'awful' is harsh, but I agree he was hardly a bright light!

Williams has always been a Jekyll-Hyde player for me... I'd argue he's actually had some pretty solid games as a CB, he generally looked good in L1 last year (against generally poor opposition, as you said), and it's nice to have his LB/CB flexibility as a backup, but I've never been convinced by him as a LB, defensively or offensively (despite his best efforts on the latter...) and he's very hit-or-miss as a CB. I don't mind him as a backup option, but not a starter at this level.

I'd hoped him and Bell competing for the starting LB spot would end up producing a decent LB for us this year, but both have disappointed so far. Bell more so as I expected him to run away with it.

I've only seen Williams play live about 5 times, always thought he wasn't a footballer.

On 29/11/2018 at 07:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow. Glad to see no one is over reacting

A couple of defeats really brings them out 

You'll have to tell me how i'm over-reacting?

waggot and his company make me sick. Price rises across the board, closure of the DE without any dialogue with the fans (and even when he was 'forced' to due to PR he didn't stick by his words)

Last season, we got away with it many times because the opposition was poor.

If you think the manager isn't under the spotlight because of his negativity and always worrying about the other team (instead of concentrating on our own strengths)

The purchase of Brereton (and his failure to play him) is a massive gamble.

I'm okay with my opinions.

1 hour ago, barry_ said:

You'll have to tell me how i'm over-reacting?

waggot and his company make me sick. Price rises across the board, closure of the DE without any dialogue with the fans (and even when he was 'forced' to due to PR he didn't stick by his words)

Last season, we got away with it many times because the opposition was poor.

If you think the manager isn't under the spotlight because of his negativity and always worrying about the other team (instead of concentrating on our own strengths)

The purchase of Brereton (and his failure to play him) is a massive gamble.

I'm okay with my opinions.

Price rises because we are playing at a higher standard. Still one of the cheapest season tickets in the league. What do you want, free tickets? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Price rises because we are playing at a higher standard. Still one of the cheapest season tickets in the league. What do you want, free tickets? 

In which case Man City should be the dearest but they're the cheapest in the prem I think?

When Rovers got promoted did everyone in the area get a wage increase?

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

In which case Man City should be the dearest but they're the cheapest in the prem I think?

When Rovers got promoted did everyone in the area get a wage increase?

Why should Man City be the dearest? All tickets should he the same price in the premier league, as they should be the same in the championship also. Rovers are at the lower end currently, so if ticket prices were averaged in the league, the price would go up. 

We are not ‘one of the cheapest in the league’ anymore. A 17% increase just for returning to the league we briefly fell out of?

People keep saying the ‘cheapest’ line and the stats keep disproving it. Great PR from the club that folk still think that’s the case though...

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sigh. 

Image result for straw man argument

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We are not ‘one of the cheapest in the league’ anymore. A 17% increase just for returning to the league we briefly fell out of?

People keep saying the ‘cheapest’ line and the stats keep disproving it. Great PR from the club that folk still think that’s the case though...

According to this list from last season, it's one of the cheapest. All categories of Rovers season ticket are cheaper than the cheapest (Birmingham) except one in the JW stand, which is 19 pounds more expensive 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/473324/championship-teams-cheapest-season-tickets-uk-soccer-football/

Not sure what I am missing here? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel