BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

15 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Heard anything about Jaka Bijol or is it just agent talk ?

Richard Sharpe put it perfectly when he said that when he broached the name to reps at the club. He just got a blank look.

£2.5 million is the figure required. Chances we will pay this this summer = 0%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I did read it. Again I would like to see these contract scenarios resolved as a matter of some urgency rather than telling the owners that we need it. Too slow. We've been burned before by expiring contracts and if we want to moan about FFP then we cannot allow them to run down. 

What loans we do depends on the positions and who we get on permanents. I will be extremely disappointed if CB is addressed by loans, whereas I have no objection to midfield or attack being dealt with that way. But we need key areas dealing with permanently or we are just kicking the can down the road. 

Let's just hope these bids see decent players arrive soon. I recall you expected a couple of signings by today which hasn't happened.

Well I say a couple of weeks ago that's if Nyambe couldnt agree a new contract we should sell him and get the best price we can. Not go to Tribunal or cheap January fee. You said keep him and risk him leaving on a free. 

Yes I did expect a defender or two to sign by now. It's a shame we haven't 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJW said:

34 years old and only played 191 games ... waste of a career if you ask me 

Jesus really? For a change a name I know well and thought yeh he would provide plenty of experience but he has what, about as many career games as Walton? Less?

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I say a couple of weeks ago that's if Nyambe couldnt agree a new contract we should sell him and get the best price we can. Not go to Tribunal or cheap January fee. You said keep him and risk him leaving on a free. 

Yes I did expect a defender or two to sign by now. It's a shame we haven't 

Do you think we would succeed in replacing him adequately? Do you fancy our chances of promotion this season?

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do you think we would succeed in replacing him adequately? Do you fancy our chances of promotion this season?

You can only access our chances of promotion this season when the transfer window closes..

Replacing Nyambe or Dack?

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Dack and Nyambe(who mowbray has pissed about by playing Bennett in his position too many times) won't be signing now.  Too late, and i expect they will maximise their financial position by letting their deals run down and leaving for free.....

Shit management yet again.

meh...Nyambe has potential but his performances are nothing to write home about. If he won’t sign, just sell him. 

You know there’s a 12 month Extension trigger in our favour for Dack though right? So basically our position is pretty safe.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

You said "he will live and die by their results". I think you're wrong, he'll live whatever the results.

We have hardly improved in the last 2 seasons despite the big spending. He should "die" on that basis alone.

Cool. What do you think about transfers though?

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You can only access our chances of promotion this season when the transfer window closes..

Replacing Nyambe or Dack?

Nyambe. Because I'm thinking, what if we assemble a squad that gets us nearly there, but we sold Nyambe and replaced him with somebody who isn't as good, then we miss out by a couple of points...it won't be such a good idea to have sold him to avoid him leaving on a free. I get what you're saying but we have to weigh up our chances and the risks to know if it's best to sell him. A couple of million doesn't go far when you have our losses. He might even help a rival pip us.

The greatest fear with Nyambe going is Bennett at right back as odd game aside filling in that's a pathetic way to go. Also given how tight finances are and the last time Mowbray signed a right back it was Caddis i'd say it's very important to keep Nyambe.

Seems the brainwashing is beginning on that one now so probably inevitable he'll leave.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

... I'd go as far as saying that Bell is the worst left-back that I've seen playing for us. Vratislav Gresko could teach him a lesson or two.

For me, one of the benefits Gresko enjoyed was playing his career behind Damian Duff. It always seemed to me that Duffer was prepared to come back and help Gresko out.

Mind; that was in the days when the management played yer actual wingers!

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

The greatest fear with Nyambe going is Bennett at right back as odd game aside filling in that's a pathetic way to go. Also given how tight finances are and the last time Mowbray signed a right back it was Caddis i'd say it's very important to keep Nyambe.

Seems the brainwashing is beginning on that one now so probably inevitable he'll leave.

Unfortunately Bennett will probably get some game time there even if Nyambe stays as I doubt we will be signing a RB as things stand...hopefully someone like JRC manages to push a stronger claim to be the backup there and EB gets phased out, but I reckon that could take until the second half of the season. TM does tire of his veterans eventually.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need another 4 players. Back up keeper, 2 centre back and left back. 

Dont need a striker or midfielder IMO at this time. Give the youngsters the game time players. Why give Rankin Costello, Buckley, Vale, Chapman their chance

Plenty of clubs still have a lot of transfer business. Like Sheffield Wednesday need Strikers, QPR need attacking players, Bournemouth will lose Wilson, Brooks, King. Watford will lose their best players. Brentford could lose all 3 of their best attacking players this summer. 

Not being rude, chaddyrovers; but do you type very quickly and sometimes appear to say the opposite of what you mean?

E.g. I'm guessing you meant to end your second paragraph, "Why not give Rankin Costello, Buckley, Vale, Chapman their chance?"

As it was, it reads as though you've given up on them. Or was that what you meant??

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Unfortunately Bennett will probably get some game time there even if Nyambe stays as I doubt we will be signing a RB as things stand...hopefully someone like JRC manages to push a stronger claim to be the backup there and EB gets phased out, but I reckon that could take until the second half of the season. TM does tire of his veterans eventually.

These are the fine lines between moving forwards or remaining where we are. We'll get away with Bennett there sometimes and that's enough for midtable. That's the mentality that needs to change but it's unlikely especially now there's no brass to bring in proper back up.

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Cool. What do you think about transfers though?

I'm responding to a statement you made on this thread! Is anything happening I've missed on the transfer front?

Edited by 47er

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We are neck and neck with Preston though, in fact they have been above us in recent years. They have a better manager, better recruitment so that’s why we are looking up at them.

we are leaking money like oil, hence why the chequebook has now been put away, we are relying on freebies, loans or bargains. We won’t be making any 3-4 mill signing this season. 

you mentioned those clubs you believe we are bigger than but still in a head to head with a signing, we will often lose. Between money, location of club, fan base etc etc we are not one of the leagues heavyweights by any means. We are where we are- slap bang in the middle of the league for finances, league position, reputation 

some folk need a reality pill, I’m all for optimism but really

As this thread will show, this is my first visit here since last night; sorry!! I obviously missed some thought-provoking posts last night after I started watching TV.

It just occurs to me that one area where our approach of giving youth its chance - which, of course, may be dictated by a number of other factors: our overall financial position; managerial preferences; to name but two - occasionally appears to get its own reward.

E.g, because of decisions taken at Deepdale, we have been in a position to snap up a youngster they've had to release who so far has had a couple of impressive displays from our substitutes' bench. They may turn out to have been flashes in the pan - let's hope not, obviously! - but if they aren't, let's just celebrate our good fortune.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

2 cbs (assuming Williams and Mulgrew are going), Lb and a CM to play the 433. 

We have to go with the forwards we have spent money on as you said and he will live and die by their results.

I dont understand this assumption that we can depend on the forwards we have to play 433, as if we have enough. Its not even about the trust or lack of in the 12m duo, its about numbers across that front line.

Even if we take Brereton (2 dead rubber goals in 2 years) and Gallagher and classify them as credible options, and also Dack who is neither a false 9 nor a wide striker, plus is currently injured. We have those 3 and Armstrong. 4 for 3 places.

Beyond that, it is all untested kids.

Take today, Armstrong starts, Brereton starts, Gallagher and Dack are injured which is hardly a crisis in terms of numbers, and beyond that we are struggling. Can we be confident that Chapman, having started a solitary league game in 4 or 5 years and totally out of the picture, numerous injury problems, bad relationship with the manager, is going to step up and become a regular and contributing part of the team? And Dolan, Vale and Butterworth dont have 90 minutes of League football at this level between them.

For example, you mention central midfield but we have Holtby, Travis, Evans, Johnson, Davenport, Buckley and it seems Rothwell for those positions. Far more depth and options than across the front line.

Also, the thing is that ideally, all 4 senior forward options would want to play in the middle. We need at least one senior option who would prefer to play from the wide areas.

The common reason given as to not sign a further forward is that it could block the pathway for some kids. Ultimately, the priority has to be the first team, and the forward positions are the ones where you really do need strength in options. But if we added a 5th senior option to the mix, that does not mean that the likes of Chapman, Dolan, Vale and Butterworth (mind you, I think at least one of the latter 3 would benefit from a loan spell out) would have no chance of breaking through, but equally we cant be sure that any are ready to contribute for a Championship side going for the top 6. If we added a 5th option for 3 positions, then there would still be scope to dip the kids in whenever the manager sees fir.

54 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nyambe. Because I'm thinking, what if we assemble a squad that gets us nearly there, but we sold Nyambe and replaced him with somebody who isn't as good, then we miss out by a couple of points...it won't be such a good idea to have sold him to avoid him leaving on a free. I get what you're saying but we have to weigh up our chances and the risks to know if it's best to sell him. A couple of million doesn't go far when you have our losses. He might even help a rival pip us.

I see your point totally. I just think we cant let another King or Marshall situation happening again. 

36 minutes ago, m1st said:

Not being rude, chaddyrovers; but do you type very quickly and sometimes appear to say the opposite of what you mean?

E.g. I'm guessing you meant to end your second paragraph, "Why not give Rankin Costello, Buckley, Vale, Chapman their chance?"

As it was, it reads as though you've given up on them. Or was that what you meant??

I just type very quickly. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

meh...Nyambe has potential but his performances are nothing to write home about. If he won’t sign, just sell him. 

You know there’s a 12 month Extension trigger in our favour for Dack though right? So basically our position is pretty safe.

Potential? Mowbray has stunted his development with his Benno love in. Nyambe will be off and I don't blame him.  He will just sit tight now.

Dack will also be off at the end of the season unless we go up. IMO

• Like 2