BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

On 31/12/2020 at 16:15, Sparks Rover said:

It's true.  They are interested but the fee might be a stumbler.  Talks have happened, meanwhile Mowbray handing out contracts to has-beens like confetti.

Joke

My PNE supporting mate reckons that Pearson is off to Celtic and that Whiteman is his replacement. He also reckons Davies is off too, to Celtic or Ghent.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just one of many basic principals. The more of these principals you use, usually the more successful a manager you become 

Mowbray's main failing is he's always signing players to back up the ones we've already got. How about signing some that are actually better. As far as I can see only the goalkeeper is better than what we've already got ( that was nobody at the time he was signed ) plus the lad from Liverpool and he's not a massive improvement or ours.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just one of many basic principals. The more of these principals you use, usually the more successful a manager you become 

Every single manager in the world signs young players with the hope they will improve though? Mowbray is hardly an outlier as far as that is concerned. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Every single manager in the world signs young players with the hope they will improve though? Mowbray is hardly an outlier as far as that is concerned. 

The original point was that Chapman was signed because he was cheap and might increase in value in the future. My point was that a good manager would sign a player on the hope that he improves the playing team, not the owners bank account. We obviously don't agree on this point, so lets just leave it at that. I don't want to get into a tit-for-tat argument. 

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

The original point was that Chapman was signed because he was cheap and might increase in value in the future. My point was that a good manager would sign a player on the hope that he improves the playing team, not the owners bank account. We obviously don't agree on this point, so lets just leave it at that. I don't want to get into a tit-for-tat argument. 

A good manager signs both types of player. It's pretty straight forward

3 hours ago, Yoogo said:

Signing Ayala, Kaminski, Douglas, Trybull, and Elliott wasn't a bad window, was it? And at the time, I thought they were all an improvement on what we had, and still do.

There is speculation at the moment that Trybull may be going back to Norwich, Mowbray seems to have gone cold on him. Is he better than Evans ? He's certainly not better than Travis.  Douglas can't replace Bell, the Bell who is not a championship level player in most fans eyes. So far Ayala has missed more games than he's played and not pulled any trees up in the games he has played. Elliot's done OK , especially for a kid, but that's what he is, a kid of 17. Kaminski has improved the team. 

• Like 2

I think its difficult to argue that the window was a success. Kaminski has been an obvious success story and Elliott possibly the definition of ideal usage of the loan market based on the impact he has had. Conversely, the defence needed fixing again and hasnt been. We needed 2 centre backs and got only one unsuitable to an idealistic style Mowbray wants to play and who is physically incapable of playing regular football, compounded by a failure to sell Williams when given the chance. The left back position remains a huge weakness with Douglas unable to rectify that problem and Bell totally illogically given an extension. Trybull seems no improvement in midfield and Pears doesnt seen to be convincing as a deputy.

Most windows under Mowbray have been like that, mixed with obvious success stories littered with failures, quite a lot in the middle and ultimately an inability to ever fix a recurring weakness.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There is speculation at the moment that Trybull may be going back to Norwich, Mowbray seems to have gone cold on him. Is he better than Evans ? He's certainly not better than Travis.  Douglas can't replace Bell, the Bell who is not a championship level player in most fans eyes. So far Ayala has missed more games than he's played and not pulled any trees up in the games he has played. Elliot's done OK , especially for a kid, but that's what he is, a kid of 17. Kaminski has improved the team. 

I predicted on Boxing Day that we'd seen the last of Trybull with his absence from the squad. I was surprised to see him back at Huddersfield but now with this injury who knows if or when he'll be back.

My thoughts on his signing is that it was deemed necessary at the time as Travis had gone down with a serious injury until January and we all know about Evans' fitness so an extra body was brought in. I think Norwich were more than happy to let him come here and play so it was an easy and cheap loan job.

With Travis coming back soon and Evans presumably not too far away (?) I suspect Trybull is probably seen as a sacrifice worth making to free up some wages for other reinforcements.

I think he's steady away but another who hasn't really stood out and for one reason or another hasn't been able to put a good run of games together for us. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

I suspect that Trybull was only ever cover for injured Travis so with Travis on the way back then it makes sense for him go. Now with squad numbers tight we need to bring in defensive cover so surplus numbers in midfield should be sacrificed.

If Trybull had excelled then I'd keep him but like with Douglas these loan players must go if possible.

Mowbray back on his latest excuse for our abysmal run of form which is apparently all down to missing Lewis Travis and once he is back playing everything will be OK.

Should keep trouble away until the end of January or beyond when Travis is match fit again.

There's always an excuse and there'll always be an absence to explain it.

Just a shame people accept this nonsense. He's got a plethora of midfield options all signed by himself. Of course Travis is a miss but this is the second transfer window where we've been able to replace him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray back on his latest excuse for our abysmal run of form which is apparently all down to missing Lewis Travis and once he is back playing everything will be OK.

Should keep trouble away until the end of January or beyond when Travis is match fit again.

Exactly this. Chapman has freed a 1st team squad place up, so we may see a defensive loan come in.

In the meantime, Mowbray will be crossing his fingers on Travis returning, Ayala getting fitter, and Douglas miraculously being able to run. Risky business though, with some difficult games coming up in January.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ayala is out for 4 more weeks with a hamstring strain. Hes becoming a bit of a disaster of a signing in that he was the sole addition to a defence that lost Adarabioyo and hes made of glass. If we are left with Johnson at CB for any period of time it will cost us.

Didn't we sign Douglas? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Sorry I meant central defence. Douglas has merely added a player not of a competent level to compete with Bell for a place based on who is the least bad!

Well we only sign 1 cos we already had 3 here at the club. Plus Williams never moved on as we rumour in the summer. 

Wharton is a big miss for me

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well we only sign 1 cos we already had 3 here at the club. Plus Williams never moved on as we rumour in the summer. 

We seemingly didnt allow Williams to join Swansea due to an inability to match our fee, but Williams has always been below the quality required to go where we supposedly want to go, and he has always had repeated injury problems and an aura of a player who you would not want beside you on the trenches.

To replace a departing centre back who pretty much was available every week last season with one solitary replacement with serious injury problems was negligent whichever way you look at it. We have Lenihan, Ayala and Williams all with serious injury histories, if we was to go down the route of signing Ayala and not selling Williams, which was risky, surely you'd sign one more rather than signing TWO central midfielders, one who has had minimal impact in Trybull and one in Downing who Mowbray doesnt seem to consider for starts. There is no defence (ironically) for such negligence and no excuses.

Either way, a third summer in a row passed with a failure to assemble a defence capable of having the quality and depth to last the season and keep the goals out.

Mowbray didnt even know if he was going to keep Wharton around at the start of the season!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You didn't need to be a genius to work out that Ayala, Williams and to a lesser extent Lenihan aren't the most reliable when it comes to fitness. We were always going into the season a centre back light and we have paid the price for that.